P1000 ham radio

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I have 4 of the UV5R's and use them
daily to talk mostly on a local repeater.
I will use one while out on my P1k. My
brother & I are ham operators, and they
will be fine on the trail while riding
together.

I intend to use an extended gain rubber
duck & hang it on a small chest pack that
I carry whenever I'm in the woods. I'll
use it with an ear bud/mike that has a
remote PTT.

I don't think we will find an adequate
ground plane on the P1k's for a mag
mount, unless we add one. I will carry
a roll up slim jim ladder line in case
we have an issue/emergency to get
out better if needed.

I don't think I am going to try a mounted
mobile radio. I don't think they will handle
the constant pounding, unless you find a
fairly flexible mount.

With HT, it's easy to take with you anytime
you get out & there less chance it will get stolen.

Sorry for the rambling!

John

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 4 of the UV5R's and use them
daily to talk mostly on a local repeater.
I will use one while out on my P1k. My
brother & I are ham operators, and they
will be fine on the trail while riding
together.

I intend to use an extended gain rubber
duck & hang it on a small chest pack that
I carry whenever I'm in the woods. I'll
use it with an ear bud/mike that has a
remote PTT.

I don't think we will find an adequate
ground plane on the P1k's for a mag
mount, unless we add one. I will carry
a roll up slim jim ladder line in case
we have an issue/emergency to get
out better if needed.

I don't think I am going to try a mounted
mobile radio. I don't think they will handle
the constant pounding, unless you find a
fairly flexible mount.

With HT, it's easy to take with you anytime
you get out & there less chance it will get stolen.

Sorry for the rambling!

John

Great points

Reactions: Biteme
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
With the rubber stick antenna that come on it I'm only receiving maybe 2-5 miles.

With a $30 mag mount antenna hooked to the same handheld RX @100-150 miles.

I can get MOST repeaters to signal check in a 50-60 mile radius now where only the one that was 10 miles away will give me a check.

Edit:
I'm in rolling, tree covered foothills 200-1500' and elevation changes from @600'ASL to @2000'ASL
What kind of mag mount antenna and where do you have it mounted? Looking at dual band whips but they seem pretty rigid. Checked out FireStik's but they seem to be single band specific.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
It's pretty slick (and awesome price) but I'm pretty sure I'd mangle that thing with one ride out to the ranch. Lot's of low branches. Trying to figure out a decent dual band whip. Been looking at a few things, nice double spring unit and the FireStik lineup but those are single band, mostly CB.

Last edited:
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Just make sure its the actual stainless whips that do bend. Some are mad from a brittle steel I've seen on our Peterbilts. The only place you really have to watch is near the base of the antenna where the whip part mounts too.

R

RobertwHarley

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2016
Huntsville, Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wondering if and of you guys are ham radio operators and if you have mounted one in your 1k yet. I'm still not sure where I want to put a mobile. A lot of my friends and I got into them for using them in our jeeps. They work great in our area and the APRS is pretty cool for keeping tabs on people where cell phones don't work.
So, I'm a HAM and will be installing a mobile in mine. I'm on the local VFD so want the power to punch out there. The big issue is the dust. If your just looking for local comms, you could also just get a helmet mic like the Sena 20. They go 2k and with some extra electronics, you can actually have a HAM radio hooked into the helmet rig with a push to talk button mounted close to your finger reach. If your putting on an antenna to the roof, just remember branches and also that most of the antenna work on ground plane theory so you need to either mount to a roll bar or put a metal circle plate under the roof so that they work. For my install, I'm looking at putting the radio up near the roof just so mud and water doesn't get anywhere near it. The Chinese radios do work but just remember you get what you pay for. At their price, though, just by two and throw away the broken one when it happens. LOL

D

Dasmoeturhead

Ham radio operator here also. I have the UV5R baufeng, and it works. I also have a CB in the P1, but I'd probably use the UV5R in an emergency.

advertisement
Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Thanks for all the info guys. My F9V2's have being doing ok but the ranch is really hilly and Tx/Rx doesn't always reach. I've changed my game plan around so I thought I'd share. Setting my sights on the Yaesu Ht-857. These are good strong radios and you can get them MARS modified by the factory in order to maintain the warranty even though the unit will be "opened up" of "modded". That will give me much better Tx when I've got a few valleys between me and the base station. There are DOZENS of "man packs" or other portable designs online. Do a quick google image search of 857 portable and you'll see what I mean. . And the deeper I go down this rabbit hole the more applications I am finding. With my portable setup it will be a go-bag that can be a home base station, a mobile rig that connects to any antenna (throw it in the car, throw it in the 1000, throw it in my golf cart, go hiking) for whatever application I want. Additionally it's a 100W DXer! It will take some configuration to power but ultimately becomes everything I need. Granted, I am well versed in the "jack of all trades/master of none" concept but for me, this will cover a lot. I will post pics (if anyone is interested) once I get the whole rig dialed in, but that won't happen overnight. Anyhow. I also mirror the sentiments of others regarding the Baofeng's. Super kick ass and affordable. I just need more power at the ranch, but for my 16acre property maintenance job they shine real bright.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I ended up ordering a FT-7900r to mount and a 1/2 wave antenna. So knowing me i'll have it in by next year if I don't end up selling it like I always do too haha

D

Dasmoeturhead

Thanks for all the info guys. My F9V2's have being doing ok but the ranch is really hilly and Tx/Rx doesn't always reach. I've changed my game plan around so I thought I'd share. Setting my sights on the Yaesu Ht-857. These are good strong radios and you can get them MARS modified by the factory in order to maintain the warranty even though the unit will be "opened up" of "modded". That will give me much better Tx when I've got a few valleys between me and the base station. There are DOZENS of "man packs" or other portable designs online. Do a quick google image search of 857 portable and you'll see what I mean. . And the deeper I go down this rabbit hole the more applications I am finding. With my portable setup it will be a go-bag that can be a home base station, a mobile rig that connects to any antenna (throw it in the car, throw it in the 1000, throw it in my golf cart, go hiking) for whatever application I want. Additionally it's a 100W DXer! It will take some configuration to power but ultimately becomes everything I need. Granted, I am well versed in the "jack of all trades/master of none" concept but for me, this will cover a lot. I will post pics (if anyone is interested) once I get the whole rig dialed in, but that won't happen overnight. Anyhow. I also mirror the sentiments of others regarding the Baofeng's. Super kick ass and affordable. I just need more power at the ranch, but for my 16acre property maintenance job they shine real bright.
I'd love to have an Yaesu 857. My dream HF Rig. Good for you.

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ham operator here, N1UB call sign. I bought one of these rigs for my SXS, it's very small ! You can program it with Chirp software, and the radio is wide open for use on public safety bands as well if you happen to be in fire or law. I don't have it installed yet, I was going to use an antenna I bought from Tessco that I used on my Jeep. It was a no ground plane type and I got a nice flat SWR with it on the jeep with the antenna mounted on the spare tire carrier, so should work good off the roll bar on the Honda. The also make a 10 watt version for $60, I went with the 25. Hope to have it in soon, I have bench tested it, and my buddies said my audio was just as good as my Icom 880H if you can believe that.Hopefully it will stand up to the dust and vibration.
https://www.amazon.com/LEIXEN-VV-898-136-174-400-470MHz-Transceiver/dp/B00LS8AJRW/?tag=sxsweb24-20

L

Lfyost1

Jun 15, 2016
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should think a 5/8 wave mag mount on an inverted old cookie sheet or pizza pan securely affixed to (isolated from!) a roll bar or roof, would work somewhat effectively.
With the decline in 2m and 440 popularity, it seems some of the repeaters are not being maintained as they once were.

A little respect for the hobby is due, please get your license.

R

RobertwHarley

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2016
Huntsville, Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
VE3 FMF here. I think that a 857 is overkill for the P1000. A good antenna with even a handheld will punch out fairly well. there are lots of lower level units out there and some even go up to 75W.

D

Dasmoeturhead

VE3 FMF here. I think that a 857 is overkill for the P1000. A good antenna with even a handheld will punch out fairly well. there are lots of lower level units out there and some even go up to 75W.
I don't think the 857 is overkill at all. Why not be able to use your HF Radio up in the mountains, or anywhere else you might ride? I have a 2 meter in my P1K, and it works good when I can hit the repeater that's 25 miles away. It usually always works, but I'm a radio nut, and would love to have a very portable HF radio in my P1K, that I could also put in my truck, or on my power supply in my garage. In fact, the Yaesu 857 will be added to my P1K in the future . When I'm wheeling up in the middle of no where, I like the idea of this small, and powerful radio at my disposal if I need it.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
KC7LB and my radio of choice for riding and hunting safety communications is the Kenwood TH F6A with a Diamond SRH320A. The best safety item, I have found is a Spot. I hunt and scout alone sometime so when cell and/Ham do not work Spot will. There are a lot of places in the Arizona mountains that cell, 2M or 70CM does not work at all.

R

RobertwHarley

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2016
Huntsville, Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think the 857 is overkill at all. Why not be able to use your HF Radio up in the mountains, or anywhere else you might ride? I have a 2 meter in my P1K, and it works good when I can hit the repeater that's 25 miles away. It usually always works, but I'm a radio nut, and would love to have a very portable HF radio in my P1K, that I could also put in my truck, or on my power supply in my garage. In fact, the Yaesu 857 will be added to my P1K in the future . When I'm wheeling up in the middle of no where, I like the idea of this small, and powerful radio at my disposal if I need it.
I wasn't trying to get you all riled up. Yes, it would be nice to sit on top of a hill somewhere and bust out a long range CQ but I took from your post that you were looking for other options as well. The biggest problem for any radio is dust and from my limited experience with my P1K, it gets dusty. also, having a longer antenna isn't so good for bush bashing which is most of the trails up in my area. Some are just wide enough to get through. I had my 857 with an atlas antenna on my old truck and even found that I had problems with that.

D

Dasmoeturhead

I wasn't trying to get you all riled up. Yes, it would be nice to sit on top of a hill somewhere and bust out a long range CQ but I took from your post that you were looking for other options as well. The biggest problem for any radio is dust and from my limited experience with my P1K, it gets dusty. also, having a longer antenna isn't so good for bush bashing which is most of the trails up in my area. Some are just wide enough to get through. I had my 857 with an atlas antenna on my old truck and even found that I had problems with that.
No worries, didn't rile me up just stating my own wants and situation. I usually ride, hunt, and work by myself. A good all around radio like the 857 would work well for me. Now a antenna for that thing as you mentioned might be the downfall of that set up. I have no interstin mounting a Atlas antenna

advertisement