Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I can definitely appreciate that point. If more money is spent in r&d that increases the initial cost and the repair & maintenance to gain fuel efficiency and longevity is it really worth it? Anyone have time for a cost analysis on this? I'd honestly be really interested in the results of it. Of course that doesn't apply to the value of life in terms of the crash rating stuff, but putting an imperfect person (or computer system for those self drivers that are almost inevitable at this point) in charge of a few thousand pounds and a tank of fuel is bound to have tragic outcomes at times.

I can rebuild a carb, but I can only replace injectors if a bottle of "magic" injector cleaner doesn't straighten things up. The limit here is self imposed though. I'm sure I could learn how to properly clean an injector. I've never tried.

I know plenty of people that say they don't know how to change a tire. That "technology" hasn't changed in my lifetime or theirs. They don't know because they refuse to take a few minutes to learn. Not saying I would expect everyone to learn how to fix an ECU (I certainly can't), but not knowing everything doesn't make it bad or the person that doesn't know an idiot. That said knowing enough to call in an "expert" when I don't have the skills is a skill in of itself. Giving up and not even trying to fix something though is just saying here take my money. Trading a call/trip to an expert for replacing parts I can't service is of course an option I take some times as well.

When asked I like to say I know enough to be dangerous because an expert knows so much about so little. I'd much rather know a little about a lot. I'm happy to learn the rest as the need arises.

Appreciate your thought provoking post. I enjoy intelligent conversations and we all know there isn't much of that to be found on the internet. :(
Some of that made me laugh but so true. Most of the times there can be good conversation on here unless it’s brand of truck, religion or especially politics!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually had 78 Chevy 4x4 with a 400 bored out to a 406 for several years. It was just a toy that kept me from buying a motorcycle when I was 18. It would pass anything but a gas station. It had 33's on it and would sit there and burn all four tires (I only did that once. I learned quickly tires are expensive. lol). I love those old square trucks. Blew the motor (imagine that) and the crate 350 just wasn't the same. Sold it and bought a 400EX.

Unrelated an not a street vehicle, but I have an old Gibson tractor that is from WWII era as I understand it. My grandfather had it (he had bought it used). I've only had a couple of people that even ever heard of them before. It is as cool as anything to me. I love to plow snow with it. Not likely to find parts for it though. Rebuilt the rear end and had to micrometer the old bearings to find something that could work to replace them. Where there was a will there was a way. It is in storage at my Aunt and Uncle's place but I will try to remember to take a photo and post it on the forum just as a piece of nostalgia.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some of that made me laugh but so true. Most of the times there can be good conversation on here unless it’s brand of truck, religion or especially politics!

I'm glad you could see the humor in it. I agree most of what I've read on the forum has been thoughtful conversation or obvious banter. No one really getting their panties in a bunch. And oh how I appreciate it!!

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd take that bet. How many are being sold this year? I'm definitely willing to bet someone out there takes really good care of one and it would still be road worthy in 39 years with a little TLC. Mythical garage finds are out there.
I get the mythical garage you're right there still be some around but not as many as there is 79 running around right now cuz people can work on them the people that know how to do things with her hands not take it to the guy with a $5,000 computer to diagnose it and fix it This new s*** is getting over my head and payroll .I miss the old days at least that part .I would like to see that Gibson my uncle has like a 37 McCormick Deering still runs it's a patina parade trator. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dbccb68c4f43332f623da2449aebd5a8

If you’re lookin’ it ain’t cookin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get the mythical garage you're right there still be some around but not as many as there is 79 running around right now cuz people can work on them the people that know how to do things with her hands not take it to the guy with a $5,000 computer to diagnose it and fix it This new s*** is getting over my head and payroll .I miss the old days at least that part .I would like to see that Gibson my uncle has like a 37 McCormick Deering still runs it's a patina parade trator. Lol

I was in the garage “helping” when I was still in diapers. I can’t begin to add up the money I’ve saved from what I learned over all those years. I’ve “forced” my son to do the same. Looking forward to the day he appreciates it as I know in my teen years I didn’t either. Lol. Some cycles are good to repeat.

Awesome. I will do my best to get it on here somewhere. It isn’t a looker but it is interesting.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

When I see numbers like 12k for injectors, 15k for new trans or 25k for new engine installed I’m perfectly happy with my ol truck. But like said different people enjoy different things. Hell Im guilty too of that too sometimes.
Technology comes with a price but is rewarding when it works correctly.

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm glad you could see the humor in it. I agree most of what I've read on the forum has been thoughtful conversation or obvious banter. No one really getting their panties in a bunch. And oh how I appreciate it!!
Exactly why I'm no longer on FaceCrack and the like. I am wholeheartedly dedicated to spending all of my quality time here on this forum with all of you fine gentlemen. At least until I hit the roads and trails of America again...

advertisement
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 76490

If you’re lookin’ it ain’t cookin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have an original Big Green Egg my grandfather brought home from Japan in 1963. It's etched with Kanji characters and an image of MT. Fuji. It makes a great Tandori oven too. He was a Navy Man and was in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. Boy do I ever miss him.

IMG 4732
IMG 4733

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!