DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK...so back when i was a younger man i had to visit junk yards to repair my old beaters. Usually take a like minded bud with me to help, and after we secured the needed parts, we would usually have a look around. Back in those days (early-mid 90's), you could still be surprised by what was hidden on the back lot. I referred to this as junk-yard touring.

Who knew that old Ward's junk yard was hiding a late 60's Mustang convertible (minus top and drivetrain)? Being a Mopar guy, i didn't give a s***, but still recognized what a find it would be for some loser Ford guy...
He also had a several Dusters/Demons, a 71'ish Satellite (one of my fav body styles), and a Challenger or 2.
Another visit to the other side of the county didn't turn up much, but i did (very jokingly) inquire about any of then 426 Hemi engines they used to make. Imagine the sorrow when the owner told me that they had scrapped several in the past. He also mentioned that the predecessor "max wedge" engines seemed more valuable, as he had sold one some years prior. I didn't think to inquire as to where he got the engine, but am i to believe an incredibly rare machine spent its last days rotting away in rural NC? Never say never!

I am quite sure that the EPA has since shut many of these older yards down. Wards, for sure, has passed into history just like Ward himself.

Anyway, this was a long ass segway into a show I've been diggin' on the Motor Trend On demand site called Junkyard Gold.

You may need a subscription, but there is a free trial, and there are a few shows on there that gearheads will love:
Junkyard Gold - Show Details - Motor Trend OnDemand

Reactions: JTW and sharp
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
a long time ago I started dehydrating apples and in the process I soak the slices in lemonade or some type of juice high in ascorbic acid. I re-used that juice a few times and then let it sit in a large mason jar in the back of the fridge this past 5 years. it is now become very alcoholic. maybe ill bring it to th e takeover and pass it around. any takers?

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
OK...so back when i was a younger man i had to visit junk yards to repair my old beaters. Usually take a like minded bud with me to help, and after we secured the needed parts, we would usually have a look around. Back in those days (early-mid 90's), you could still be surprised by what was hidden on the back lot. I referred to this as junk-yard touring.

Who knew that old Ward's junk yard was hiding a late 60's Mustang convertible (minus top and drivetrain)? Being a Mopar guy, i didn't give a s***, but still recognized what a find it would be for some loser Ford guy...
He also had a several Dusters/Demons, a 71'ish Satellite (one of my fav body styles), and a Challenger or 2.
Another visit to the other side of the county didn't turn up much, but i did (very jokingly) inquire about any of then 426 Hemi engines they used to make. Imagine the sorrow when the owner told me that they had scrapped several in the past. He also mentioned that the predecessor "max wedge" engines seemed more valuable, as he had sold one some years prior. I didn't think to inquire as to where he got the engine, but am i to believe an incredibly rare machine spent its last days rotting away in rural NC? Never say never!

I am quite sure that the EPA has since shut many of these older yards down. Wards, for sure, has passed into history just like Ward himself.

Anyway, this was a long ass segway into a show I've been diggin' on the Motor Trend On demand site called Junkyard Gold.

You may need a subscription, but there is a free trial, and there are a few shows on there that gearheads will love:
Junkyard Gold - Show Details - Motor Trend OnDemand
Remember the Rambler AMC aka the Machine, ugly but what a motor!

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Remember the Rambler AMC aka the Machine, ugly but what a motor!
That was well before my time. Actually, most or all of the "muscle car era" was before my time (born in 1973), but we had good taste in cars. The 4wd eagles were still popular when i was a kid.

AMC was always an odd bird. Most of my experience with AMC came from Jeep stuff...which was more than i wanted...LOL! The old 304/360 were slow revving, chuggy V-8's torque monsters (relatively speaking). Those old in-line 6's were the stuff of legends from a durability standpoint. Leaked oil like an Exxon tanker.
AMC bought their way into relevance by purchasing Jeep. Yet...every dog has his day, and for all their wonkyness, they brought us the XJ Cherokee and the 4.0. Two home runs by anyone's standards.

advertisement