GPS UNITS

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Have u owned all of these and tested them out?
asking for a friend :cool:
i started out with the nuvi, it's actually very useful for the price point. i've had several garmin offerings though the years. and a riding friend has the TRx. maping software wise the garmin and basecamp is about the best you can get. with Gaia doing a great job. it's all personal preference i suppose.
so yeah, i've had hands on and used all of them. and a el cheepo tablet with at least 2 gb ram and gaia works great.

Reactions: Remington
R

riverjetter

May 10, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most used method of navigation in this area is our cell phones with the onx app. The app can be downloaded to any device and also has the capability of downloading maps and layers for use when you are really off grid. There is a charge for the service and I think currently it is around $30 per year for one State. If you want all 50 States it runs about $100 per year. Here is the link of you want to play around on it. There is no charge for a 7 day free trial. FYI, I do not work or have any affiliation with this company other than one of their subscribers: it's just what everyone hunting and recreating in the wilds of Montana uses. onX: GPS Map Apps for Hunting, Hiking & Off-Roading

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm looking at getting some kind of unit that has preloaded trails on it. I'm. Horrible at directions. If anyone has some recommendations on gps units I would love to hear what works good. I ride in Wisconsin so trails hard to find without some help.
Garmin GPS and VVMaps

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Samsung Tab A with Gaia maps. Cheap tablet and Gaia is best for my area for $30 yr membership. Nice big screen and all my tunes that blue tooth to a speaker.

Adam_20_Adam

Adam_20_Adam

Aug 25, 2019
Western Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Garmin Tread. Super awesome. Has 2 way walkie talky for group rides tracks up to 20 different riders so everyone can keep track of where they are. Has S.O.S feature for if you get stranded. Preloaded maps. All with water proof and dust proof. Touch screen that you can use with gloves on. Has built in angle sensors to help with side hills. Also has blue tooth to your phone and other options. Of which I paired to a garmin switch so now I have 6 accessories I can turn off or on with garmin instead of dash switches. It does have manual on/off buttons if needed. Has external back up camera so you can see whats behind you on screen. Been rock solid for my trips.

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I also use Gaia maps. Seemed like the least expensive of all the map choices out there. I did purchase a Samsung tablet to keep just for the purpose of navigation. Gaia maps also takes a bit of use to figure out what you are doing. All in all I like it though. Also got a good waterproof cover for the tablet.

C

Clane

Aug 6, 2021
Tucson az
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Then just do search on here.. you’ll see the 8” Samsung Tab A many of us have bought and then get on lifetimes site and buy the app to download.
Which samsung tablet did you guys buy?

Reactions: Smitty335
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Samsung Tab A with Gaia maps. Cheap tablet and Gaia is best for my area for $30 yr membership. Nice big screen and all my tunes that blue tooth to a speaker.

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I use the iPad Air II my yuppie Sister bought me with GAIA GPS ($30 yearly). Here’s a screen shot of one of my rides. GAIA draws the track as I ride and uses any one of a dozen colors. What I like is that it’s saved all my travel this summer on one map (I can scroll around and zoom in/out) unlike my GPS that would quickly fill up and if I wanted to keep my tracks I‘d have to upload them to my computer.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have been following along for ideas..... I have been using a Garmin 62S handheld in a RAM mount for years, primarily because it is good for Geocaching. As I get older, it has gotten increasingly difficult to see the small screen while driving. I recently bought a Samsung 10.4" tablet and mounted it from the roll bar above the steering wheel. I used a RAM mount, a piece of aluminum, and 3 Adel clamps to get it as high and far forward as possible. I started with onX Offroad and was pretty impressed. Lots of detail in the maps and it is very easy to use. Even some little paths outside my community are on there. Then I discovered that onX has very limited functionality when in landscape mode, which is how I have my mount set up. Apparently that was not an issue until their latest "update"! I have corresponded with onX, only to be told they are working on it. So, I put Gaia on the tablet and onX on my phone and will try them both out together. I will still have my Garmin for Geocaching, so I am going to look like a total geek! Gaia is much more powerful with many map options. It is going to take me a while to get up to speed on that, but there are some good tutorials on Youtube.

200X

200X

Sep 5, 2019
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I use a Garmin Montana 680T. It works well. I also use some of the other apps available like Ride Command, Avenza Maps, and Back Country navigator, and a USFS app called Visitor Map. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. I wish the Garmin Tread would have been available when I made the purchase. It's really pricey but has a bunch of functions. I think the Trail Tech Voyager Pro is also a good option.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I use a Garmin Montana 680T. It works well. I also use some of the other apps available like Ride Command, Avenza Maps, and Back Country navigator, and a USFS app called Visitor Map. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. I wish the Garmin Tread would have been available when I made the purchase. It's really pricey but has a bunch of functions. I think the Trail Tech Voyager Pro is also a good option.
Have you found a good source for maps that actually have ATV/SxS trails for your Montana.

Huntndogs

Huntndogs

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2021
San Diego, Ca.
Ownership

1. Talon R
For those that purchased Gaia, will the one account work on all your devices like a tablet and your phone?

Reactions: Rayger143
Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Which samsung tablet did you guys buy?
I also bought the Samsung tab A. Yes it does work even without cell tower service. Just have to download all the map overlays for what you need before leaving.

Reactions: Rayger143
advertisement