GPS UNITS

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
What type of trails? I'm all over BLM & NF trails out here, and they're both well represented on my Garmin Montana and my tablet running Avenza. Tablet based apps can be better, and I love the big screen while bouncing down the trails, but the Montana is easier to use since you are tech averse. RAM Mounts FTW!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Lifetime trail maps is the best easiest option...
$50 difference between 16GB tablet and 32GB tablet.
$50 isn't much, will I use the additional memory?

And are you guys using the mount from lifetime?

Reactions: Montecresto
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
$50 difference between 16GB tablet and 32GB tablet.
$50 isn't much, will I use the additional memory?

And are you guys using the mount from lifetime?

Keep mine in a powered cradle, didn't get it from Lifetime though.

Tablet 1

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Magellan TRX7 that has bunches of preload trails. It is Android based, so Clunky compared to Mac stuff, but does work. They keep updating software and it is getting better. You can download additional maps too. It will record your path, so can back track to truck. One hint though, shut off unit to wipe screen (don't ask, just assume correct LOL). I have had mine a while plus had the Yamaha Adventure pro version when had my YXZ. Having Yamaha team up with them was best thing to happen to it. Be sure to look at the waterproof versions (they have cheaper versions that aren't)

You can get the TRX app for your iPad. Works better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I like the Lifetime trail 10.5" 64 GB S4 water proof tablet with their mount and mounted to the Aw sh#$t bar. The large screen is very easy to see.
But I also have my old reliable Garmin 276C mounted on the steering column which I would not leave home without.
20191028 103347 1

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I had the previous version of that and loved it. I was thinking of going this direction.

It's worked well for me. I got the huntwise or whatever it's called option that allows me to download the satellite imagery. It takes forever to build the map base because it takes forever to download the maps one bit at the time, but it's nice to have the option. Often, you can see roads or trails that aren't on the map. And, I can use on my boat when I go to the gulf.

advertisement
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I thought I posted here, but don't see it, sorry if repeat. I used OnX hunt maps with my Garmin Montana. They show most trails and also the land you are riding on. They have a new app for your phone and I have switched to that it is OnX off road. It allows you select the type of trails you ride single track, width restricted etc.. they are very receptive to suggestions and are updating the app.

You can down load detail maps, including satellite for off grid. I used an old IPhone SE to be my gps.

IMG 8694

IMG 3444

TalonMatt

TalonMatt

Jan 9, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
What model is that? Been thinking of doing just that

It’s a 741sx. It’s from a boat that I had sold and they wanted to use a different brand for there electronics. So I talked to Garmin and asked if it could be used for over land. They said absolutely, just needed to get a topological chip. $49. bucks later and it works perfect! Plus if I ever need to add radar and sonar, it’s ready. 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a Garmin Overlander and so far love it. There pricy but have come down a bit. I love the intuitiveness of Garmin, reliability and lifetime updates. I use VVMapping a lot with my Garmin’s. The trails, pitch and roll, satellite Imagery And countless other stuff. the versatility of this unit is awsome . It’s dust proof and water resistant (not water proof)

I have a Garmin 770 RV as well for my 5er (that’s “5th wheel” for those of u in Reo Linda) The overlander does everything that GPS does and much more, plus things I haven’t gotten into yet. So I don’t need the the 770 any longer, the overlander does it all for me and I switch from Truck, Car and trail.

The tracking has been wonderful while driving the recently open state land logging trails in MI. It will also save your track to make a map for a later to go back another day if you like.

I use Ram mounts for everything in my P1K5. The Overlander comes with 2 types of Ram mounts. One I keep in my truck and the other for my P1K5. The charging is a magnetic mount to the Ram. I was skeptical if it would hold the Overlander while riding? I was completely wrong. I was on some very rough low and high speed bumps, washboards, you name it this week and it holds exceptionally good and won’t fall off and is literally BA. When we stopped a few times to check out the map and where to go, the ease of just grabbing it off the charger/magnet with one hand to remove it, bring it to the others to see was just plane cool!

I’m all about working smarter not harder and this is doing just that for me. Like all GPS’s im sure it’s missing some quarks that some have and it has some things that others don’t. in the end, the ruggedness and Garmin Ease and there database works for me.

sorry for the long response.:)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
Another vote for VV mapping, I've looked at others and for the Great Lakes region they're great. I run it in a Garmin Nuvi (automotive gps), usually can find the cheap on Amazon, $50 or so.

Reactions: Remington
J

jorligan

Jun 28, 2020
michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I used VW mapping in the past. My snowmobile had Ride Command. I downloaded it to a tablet with built in GPS, works well and gives information about trail restrictions. Bread crumbs, etc....

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
ok, lots of options, how much you wana spend?
;Lets start with cheap. older Gamin Nuvi for a car, go to gpsfiledepot.com and download the topo map for your desired area, use basecamp software to load map to device. all told 100$ or less.
next is a samsung galaxy tab A or S, with Gaia, lots of maps options that download to the device, even satellite view. tracks automoticlly sync from tablet when it's home on wifi to the cloud, you log in on PC and see the trips. can make new track slogs to fallow, also syncs to phone. about 20$ year. can import and export track logs.
that's my choice. i use a TabA 10.1 32GB is more than enough for the south west. if doing it again i'd buy the TabS with more ram. both will record track log information.
more spendy is the garmin as mentioned above. grat option for deeper pockets, doesn't really do anything the tablets won't, it's just a little more user friendly as it preloaded with a base map. but it is ale to load maps from gpsfiledepo.
the TRx& is a great one as well that is preloaded. has lots of map options. again won't really do anything the tablets won't. it's even tablet based. on android.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
ok, lots of options, how much you wana spend?
;Lets start with cheap. older Gamin Nuvi for a car, go to gpsfiledepot.com and download the topo map for your desired area, use basecamp software to load map to device. all told 100$ or less.
next is a samsung galaxy tab A or S, with Gaia, lots of maps options that download to the device, even satellite view. tracks automoticlly sync from tablet when it's home on wifi to the cloud, you log in on PC and see the trips. can make new track slogs to fallow, also syncs to phone. about 20$ year. can import and export track logs.
that's my choice. i use a TabA 10.1 32GB is more than enough for the south west. if doing it again i'd buy the TabS with more ram. both will record track log information.
more spendy is the garmin as mentioned above. grat option for deeper pockets, doesn't really do anything the tablets won't, it's just a little more user friendly as it preloaded with a base map. but it is ale to load maps from gpsfiledepo.
the TRx& is a great one as well that is preloaded. has lots of map options. again won't really do anything the tablets won't. it's even tablet based. on android.
Have u owned all of these and tested them out?
asking for a friend :cool:

advertisement