Front differential lock ?

illinoisdave

illinoisdave

Feb 8, 2016
southern illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
no without a locker you can turn one wheel forward and the other goes backward without the input shaft turning.

Martin

Martin

Sep 29, 2015
Mont-Laurier, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, seems this does not work the same as the limited slip diff found on many Honda atv's. Plus, All brakes are tied together.
Maybe there will be a aftermarket in the future.
I installed a solenoid on the rear brake line. So when I get stuck, I activate the solenoid so only the front wheels get braking power. I gently push the brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time and VOILA! both wheels engage at the front. It is not a real front locker but certainly takes me out of the difficult situation I put myself in.... I can post picture next week on where I installed it and the model of solenoid if you guys are interested.

C

Chooglin

I contacted this company Locking Differential | Torq-Masters and ask them if they would consider offering a front locker for the Pioneer 500.
They already make them for the Can Ams.

I think if we can get enough people to contact them , they just mite consider offering them for the p500 !

Anyone wanting to see a locker for the 500 ,please contact them thru there website!

Razorback

Razorback

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2015
Van Buren, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
I installed a solenoid on the rear brake line. So when I get stuck, I activate the solenoid so only the front wheels get braking power. I gently push the brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time and VOILA! both wheels engage at the front. It is not a real front locker but certainly takes me out of the difficult situation I put myself in.... I can post picture next week on where I installed it and the model of solenoid if you guys are interested.
Still waiting

Reactions: Montecresto
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I like Martin's rear brake blocking setup. Honda should announce the 2018 Pioneer 500 this month and it may have a locker, we can only hope. I do expect at least a deluxe model and maybe with a bed instead of the rack. Hopefully they will announce some sport models too. A sport 50 incher with the 700 engine would make my day.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I like Martin's rear brake blocking setup. Honda should announce the 2018 Pioneer 500 this month and it may have a locker, we can only hope. I do expect at least a deluxe model and maybe with a bed instead of the rack. Hopefully they will announce some sport models too. A sport 50 incher with the 700 engine would make my day.

I wonder if they would actually offer a deluxe P500 ? Adding another $1,000 or more to the price would probably price it out of the market.
From what I can see, the people buying the P500 aren't the type that are concerned about fancy aluminum wheels or painted plastics. They are after just a basic machine.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I expect the standard model will be the same. A double clutch model with the low range and a locker could be a deluxe model. The same engine package is used in the quad.

Reactions: joeymt33
Razorback

Razorback

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2015
Van Buren, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
I like mine with the rack. I have a box installed with hitchpins. I put everything I need in the box and can strap Other stuff on the rack. And pull the pins and have the box off in less than a minute.

C

Chooglin

I really don't have much hope that honda will put a locker in the 500 (they would have done it by now) but if they do, it won't help those that own a 500 already.

I like this type of locker (gearless) it should make for a simple install and it's fully automatic.

They are charging $400 for the Can Ams and to me , that's much cheaper than purchacing a new 2018 with a locker!

Reactions: trigger and JWB
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I contacted this company Locking Differential | Torq-Masters and ask them if they would consider offering a front locker for the Pioneer 500.

I think if we can get enough people to contact them , they just mite consider offering them for the p500 !

Anyone wanting to see a locker for the 500 ,please contact them thru there website!

That looks like a great unit for a reasonable price

I've written them :)

They wrote me back only an hour after i contacted them!

"We are interested in any UTV & ATV diff that needs a Locker. Can you tell me more about the Pioneer differential? What's in there now? What years were they made? "

Guys,
If you are at all interested ,please give them a shout

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500

Just emailed them. Everyone needs to get on board with this- even if you don't really need/want a locker, having one will make a HUGE difference in capability.

C

Chooglin

I received a reply from them and it sounds like they mite have some interest in looking into this.

Screenshot 2017 08 08 12 02 18

I invited them to the forum in hopes we can get some feedback from them!

Reactions: chrisC
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I received a reply from them and it sounds like they mite have some interest in looking into this.

View attachment 51315

I invited them to the forum in hopes we can get some feedback from them!

I'm guessing we'll all get the same form letter! My letter was mailed out same time as yours , looks like.

I never had much info on whats in the front end for them,but i guess they'll pursue that info....lets hope so

Reactions: Chooglin
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
does anyone have the info on how many P500's have been manufactured since they started making them?

I'll pass that along to them

Reactions: Chooglin
advertisement