P1000 Flatbed truck

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yep. It's a pulling bish too. In rain with the Trac off it will smoke all 4. What exactly is a 7.1?

Sorry I hit the 1 instead of 4. 7.4

IMG 21471

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's always a challenge to get all of the toys to the campsite. Everything has its pluses and minuses. Toy haulers are an option but not perfect either. Doubling up works when you have to. Where we go, we camp in the N.F. and ride quads right out of camp and we also need a couple of boats. Challenging to get everything to the campsite every year.
E

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's always a challenge to get all of the toys to the campsite. Everything has its pluses and minuses. Toy haulers are an option but not perfect either. Doubling up works when you have to. Where we go, we camp in the N.F. and ride quads right out of camp and we also need a couple of boats. Challenging to get everything to the campsite every year.
View attachment 32012 E
I consider myself as ballsy but you guys pulling doubles are over the top especially with 1/2 ton! It just seems like such a white knuckle event to get to the event but I definitely give props for getting er done!

B

Bobsagetisgod

Jan 23, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a Pioneer 1000-5 and trying to figure out the best way for me to haul a trailer, etc. Can anyone tell me if a 1000-5 would fit on an 8' long flatbed truck bed? I see the wheelbase is 80" so it seems like the wheels would be solidly on the flatbed but without a sideview dimensional diagram it is hard to say for sure.

Thanks,

Scott

Guys are doing this now, too, keep in minds that's a short box, so a long box will sit flush in back:

D351C9F4 E12F 4009 A440 78CD72535DD0 zps4znj30cn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bobsagetisgod

Jan 23, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Silver lake mfg in Idaho builds a pretty nice flat bed, too, with ramps, and fold down sides. Many options to choose from, and I think the standard for a long bed with them is 8'6".

45978932 A4A1 45EA 80EF A6E6545CC616 zps81cmni6x

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Silver lake mfg in Idaho builds a pretty nice flat bed, too, with ramps, and fold down sides. Many options to choose from, and I think the standard for a long bed with them is 8'6".

View attachment 32024

That's a good-looking box! 8.6 would work as long as the ramps sat just off the bed top otherwise you couldn't get them out from under the tires.

Reactions: sharp
S

scottf

Jan 30, 2017
Meridian, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I personally wouldn't run this, but it's another option, too, flat bed with the "cab over":

View attachment 32027

Yeah I considered this first as I have a Chevy 2500HD with a shortbox but I just don't like the raised center of gravity and the height. Pick your poison pretty much... for me I think the best solution keeps coming back to a crew cab flatbed. I already have a travel trailer I like that works well for the family and for the $3-5k I would spend on a cab over rack I think I would rather put that into a slightly newer truck. We'll see, going to sleep on it for a bit and make sure that's the right decision for us. In the end, these are good problems to have I suppose.

advertisement
B

Bobsagetisgod

Jan 23, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I considered this first as I have a Chevy 2500HD with a shortbox but I just don't like the raised center of gravity and the height. Pick your poison pretty much... for me I think the best solution keeps coming back to a crew cab flatbed. I already have a travel trailer I like that works well for the family and for the $3-5k I would spend on a cab over rack I think I would rather put that into a slightly newer truck. We'll see, going to sleep on it for a bit and make sure that's the right decision for us. In the end, these are good problems to have I suppose.

Again, not something I would run, but I've seen sled decks on short beds large enough for our 1000's used in conjunction with a stinger hitch. I don't know how larger your travel trailer is. Mine is simply too large for that to even be an option. I'll likely end up with a toy hauler.

Reactions: moparornocar
S

scottf

Jan 30, 2017
Meridian, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Again, not something I would run, but I've seen sled decks on short beds large enough for our 1000's used in conjunction with a stinger hitch. I don't know how larger your travel trailer is. Mine is simply too large for that to even be an option. I'll likely end up with a toy hauler.

Here's my thinking... say I had a 9' sled deck, it would extend roughly 2.5 feet past the end of the bed. Then it becomes a risk of the corners hitting the travel trailer in sharp turns. A hitch extension solves that problem but just gives the trailer that much more leverage to reduce weight on the front end of the truck. I think this could be workable for short runs but we do some occasional 1500 mile jaunts and driving that many hours with suboptimal rigging takes its toll on the driver.

Our travel trailer is a 25' model. A toy hauler could work well but I'm not crazy about the floor plans or having a gassy, oily, or muddy thing ride in the cabin of the trailer. I could deal with that though, but would want another trailer for short day trips. In a perfect world I would have about 3 different trucks and 4 different trailer to suit any mission but we all have to pick what we want to compromise.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Here's my thinking... say I had a 9' sled deck, it would extend roughly 2.5 feet past the end of the bed. Then it becomes a risk of the corners hitting the travel trailer in sharp turns. A hitch extension solves that problem but just gives the trailer that much more leverage to reduce weight on the front end of the truck. I think this could be workable for short runs but we do some occasional 1500 mile jaunts and driving that many hours with suboptimal rigging takes its toll on the driver.

Our travel trailer is a 25' model. A toy hauler could work well but I'm not crazy about the floor plans or having a gassy, oily, or muddy thing ride in the cabin of the trailer. I could deal with that though, but would want another trailer for short day trips. In a perfect world I would have about 3 different trucks and 4 different trailer to suit any mission but we all have to pick what we want to compromise.

Are you super concerned with having a newer truck? Do you need 4x4?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No, I like the truck I have just fine but yes 4wd is a requirement for me.

Ok I thought you were looking around for that. So you're looking for box replacement only?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My Pioneer 1000 fits on my 99 Ford light duty 3/4 ton with a home made flat bed. I will probably build another one on my 2016 Toyota Tundra long bed in June.

20161218 172325 resized11892

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally wouldn't run this, but it's another option, too, flat bed with the "cab over":

View attachment 32027

Yeah. Nope! Not for some of the roads a travel here. No way. Hell, I have straps come loose when I'm trailering machines. I'm sure somebody could use this, though.

S

scottf

Jan 30, 2017
Meridian, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok I thought you were looking around for that. So you're looking for box replacement only?

I would probably opt for a different truck of the same vintage because from what I have seen flatbed replacements are much more common for the long wheel base models. The shorter wheel base models like my short box would limit the available options. But I am new to the flatbed thing so still doing research... but generally I find it is better/cheaper to buy what you want than pay the price to modify.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Looking at all the ideas in this thread I think you're headed for the best option. An 8.5' or 9' flatbed would work great. You've just got to find one!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I would probably opt for a different truck of the same vintage because from what I have seen flatbed replacements are much more common for the long wheel base models. The shorter wheel base models like my short box would limit the available options. But I am new to the flatbed thing so still doing research... but generally I find it is better/cheaper to buy what you want than pay the price to modify.

Well my suggestion to anyone trying to do what you're doing is a 91-93 cummins all the way for the money. Up to 24mpg all the power to pull what you have and massive dependability especially with manual. I loved ours but it was a little brutal for everyday driving so I went as New as possible with the 12 valve but sure miss throwing the Pioneer in the bed. That damn truck didn't care. May get another just for that someday but I'd go 2x4 and take it in good weather.

advertisement