First diesel purchase

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2019 GMC with the 6.2L and the 10 speed transmission. I really like the combination, I think the 6.2 is a great engine.
In November, I will have owned this truck 4 years. The transmission doesn't have a dipstick by the way - I understand it's development was via joint venture with Ford, it was first tested in Raptor if I recall correctly. I believe the transmission was not offered in Chevrolet until 2020. Maybe Robobraniac will correct me if I am wrong. I remember my local large dealership was very busy repairing transmissions (the 6 and 8 speed line-ups).

IMG 4561

For this truck, I traded in a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with the duramax/allison. That was a good truck, I miss the fuel economy.
On this trip pictured above (memorial day), I was about to hit some head wind in OKC, and had it all the way to Raton, NM. I was slowed down, still getting 8 to 9 mpg. In normal conditions, 11-12 towing the the side-by-side on my 16' trailer.

Last edited:
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Good to hear you know about the front driveshaft issue Robobrainiac! Likewise, I grease mine every oil change (about 7500 miles) BUT, the advantage I have is that I've got the Dynatrac hub conversion on my front axle, so not spinning all that every time the truck moves.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good to hear you know about the front driveshaft issue Robobrainiac! Likewise, I grease mine every oil change (about 7500 miles) BUT, the advantage I have is that I've got the Dynatrac hub conversion on my front axle, so not spinning all that every time the truck moves.
I see your from Parma. I have a friend that lives there. I'm not far from u about 45 min in Stocktucky as they say lol Where bouts u ride?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I spent almost 5 years with a Cummins…the catch was it was the gimmick Cummins. I deleted it and put my touches on it, but I worried constantly. Broken cranks were a thing of concern, and I had developed a slight turbo issue that tripped a code. My tech at the dealership said put it back stock and we’d fix it under warranty but then found out that the turbo (among other parts) was on back order. He then said one came in with a broken crank and suggested that I get rid of mine while I still could. It was a great riding truck and for the most part trouble free, but I wasn’t going to risk a $15k long block with no warranty left!

It’s replacement is MUCH more fun to drive with the 6.2! View attachment 347542View attachment 347541
Ya but that was the v8 Cummins. When word first came out on those I was so excited, Cummins in a Nissan which I like too. Then saw all the problems and it didn’t really have power or mileage. Was hoping for more.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ya but that was the v8 Cummins. When word first came out on those I was so excited, Cummins in a Nissan which I like too. Then saw all the problems and it didn’t really have power or mileage. Was hoping for more.
Agreed. I loved the truck but it wasn’t what I thought it would be.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Talon R
You are spot on. The availability of vehicles is ridiculous. We have been servicing FedEx fleet vehicles with almost 500k miles because they can't get replacements.

The easiest way to describe the lifters is that they just decide on their own one day to not wake up.
Plot twist. Returned the 2020 to my boss last week and got back in the old 2014 (which actually drives and rides better, and is MUCH more comfortable). Going to Nashville tomorrow to pick up my new F-150 XLT Super Crew. Evidently some that were ordered last year came in and one is earmarked for me. I think it’s a 5.0 but not sure on the interior packages. Regardless it’s brand new. I call that a win even though it’s a Ford.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plot twist. Returned the 2020 to my boss last week and got back in the old 2014 (which actually drives and rides better, and is MUCH more comfortable). Going to Nashville tomorrow to pick up my new F-150 XLT Super Crew. Evidently some that were ordered last year came in and one is earmarked for me. I think it’s a 5.0 but not sure on the interior packages. Regardless it’s brand new. I call that a win even though it’s a Ford.
You are gonna love the hell out of your new Ford! I bought a 2020 a little over a year ago. That 5.0 Coyote motor is one bad mofo!

Reactions: Smitty335
HaggyGP

HaggyGP

Jun 27, 2019
Grande Prairie Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 500
You will be more than satisfied with the GM 3.0 liter Duramax Diesel mated with the 10 speed tranny co developed with Ford. I owned an 18’ and 20’ F150 with both 10 speeds and very happy with the towing performance.

GM added the Max Towing Package to the baby Duramax. My truck door jam sticker states the towing capacity of 12,900 lbs. I pull a 7300 lbs Keystone Cougar along with some other trailers for the toys. Very impressive power, torque and FUEL mileage.
Here are some simple stats:
GM 3.0 Duramax in city 8.5 L/100km avg and 19 to 22 L/100 towing the RV using stock oem ply rated tires.

Ford 3.5L EcoBoost in city14 L/100km and towing the RV ranged from 22 to 28 L/100km with upgraded load range D

I am awaiting on my Timbren bump stops for the Chevy and was really impressed with the Timbrens on the Ford. Chevy saga way more than a Ford with the equivalent Max Tow Package.
A bonus: 2022 Refresh Chevy discounted the diesel to the equivalent of the big 6.2L gas and added the Max Tow Package increasing the tow limits substantially.

C683B501 824E 4C07 81C3 D54C5BD4BB6D
C82276B1 D4B4 4034 B3F8 9A4E1CD609E8

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You will be more than satisfied with the GM 3.0 liter Duramax Diesel mated with the 10 speed tranny co developed with Ford. I owned an 18’ and 20’ F150 with both 10 speeds and very happy with the towing performance.

GM added the Max Towing Package to the baby Duramax. My truck door jam sticker states the towing capacity of 12,900 lbs. I pull a 7300 lbs Keystone Cougar along with some other trailers for the toys. Very impressive power, torque and FUEL mileage.
Here are some simple stats:
GM 3.0 Duramax in city 8.5 L/100km avg and 19 to 22 L/100 towing the RV using stock oem ply rated tires.

Ford 3.5L EcoBoost in city14 L/100km and towing the RV ranged from 22 to 28 L/100km with upgraded load range D

I am awaiting on my Timbren bump stops for the Chevy and was really impressed with the Timbrens on the Ford. Chevy saga way more than a Ford with the equivalent Max Tow Package.
A bonus: 2022 Refresh Chevy discounted the diesel to the equivalent of the big 6.2L gas and added the Max Tow Package increasing the tow limits substantially.

View attachment 351934View attachment 351935
Thays perfect example why 5ers shouldnt be pulled with 1/2tons, particularly TH’rs and an In tow trailer. Its not the power plant and Tranny, they have come leaps and bounds There. Its the rest of the suspension, axel shafts, barings and the brakes and Rotors. I love how they say Max tow! Yup max tow alright lol. Long term Max tow as in the max u can tow on those component's are hard as fuc on those components. A buddy just learned that the hard way. When I worked on Heavey Truck in the transportation dept at A big 3 deveopment facility, Its quite amazing the jump in caliper rotor size (for stopping) axel shaft size, Frame size (equally important) and mass of the truck just going from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton even bigger to 1-ton. when u have to make that emergency hard stop with those 1/2 tons pulling a 5er it wont be good in many ways Think about it with your other added weight. Load that puppy up and go over the scales and go :oops: Dosnt matter what type of springs/ air bags you have to make it look level, It still has all the other stuff mentioned. Yes 1/2 tons are much stronger in that power plant to short pull a variety of things, Just take a Look at the comparisons. Lots of LubTube videos out there to show you.

advertisement
GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Talon R
You are gonna love the hell out of your new Ford! I bought a 2020 a little over a year ago. That 5.0 Coyote motor is one bad mofo!
It runs pretty good and it fairly nice. It does have good power and the transmission is smooth. That being said my Trailboss would run off and leave it like it was chained in concrete.

Reactions: trigger
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thays perfect example why 5ers shouldnt be pulled with 1/2tons, particularly TH’rs and an In tow trailer. Its not the power plant and Tranny, they have come leaps and bounds There. Its the rest of the suspension, axel shafts, barings and the brakes and Rotors. I love how they say Max tow! Yup max tow alright lol. Long term Max tow as in the max u can tow on those component's are hard as fuc on those components. A buddy just learned that the hard way. When I worked on Heavey Truck in the transportation dept at A big 3 deveopment facility, Its quite amazing the jump in caliper rotor size (for stopping) axel shaft size, Frame size (equally important) and mass of the truck just going from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton even bigger to 1-ton. when u have to make that emergency hard stop with those 1/2 tons pulling a 5er it wont be good in many ways Think about it with your other added weight. Load that puppy up and go over the scales and go :oops: Dosnt matter what type of springs/ air bags you have to make it look level, It still has all the other stuff mentioned. Yes 1/2 tons are much stronger in that power plant to short pull a variety of things, Just take a Look at the comparisons. Lots of LubTube videos out there to show you.
100% agree

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 Silverado with the 3.0 Duramax. I love the truck..It gets great mileage, typically 30 mpg+ when not trailering, and have never had a single problem of any kind with the truck.
Very nice truck, save your coins up for the timing belt replacement. It's expensive.

So far from experience the 3.0 duramax has not had alot of issues. We do not have alot of them around us tho.

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement