P1000 Default to manual shift on '16 -5

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Say what you like about the auto shift, but I came off of a Rincon 680 with select and forget auto or ESP and I DO NOT like the shift points of the Honda auto program. I hate having to punch the stupid Auto/Manual select button every time I shift (P/R/H). Is there any way to make it default to manual shift and have to select auto?

Reactions: Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi,
Great question.
The quick answer is no.
BUT, a company claims they have cracked the computer and able to program the Fi and shift points. Maybe they can find this setting.
IDK. I forget the companies name. I'll find it. Not cheap tho!

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not quite what I was thinking but...
I don't really need what they're offering, just let me stay in manual like my Rinny. Seems obvious to me to allow that but common sense and engineering don't always go together, even at Honda:confused:.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure what the back side of the harness/switch looks like at the switch but I always wondered if you could make the switch into a 3 position toggle instead of a 3 position momentary switch.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not quite what I was thinking but...
I don't really need what they're offering, just let me stay in manual like my Rinny. Seems obvious to me to allow that but common sense and engineering don't always go together, even at Honda:confused:.
I think you're in the minority which doesn't exactly equate to "common sense" just because it's what you like. I imagine they chose to default to the mode that gives the user the least amount of opportunity to mess something up, and requires the least input. I assume you know you can still manually shift in auto mode. I agree it doesn't always shift at the right time but most of the time I can get by in auto with a few clicks when I need to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not sure what the back side of the harness/switch looks like at the switch but I always wondered if you could make the switch into a 3 position toggle instead of a 3 position momentary switch.
I’ve thought about that too. Be nice if someone else played around with that so we’d know if it effects the computer negatively.
Only thing that’s ever bugged me a little about my year machine because I run manual. Must’ve bugged quite a few people because Honda has since changed that to a memory function. Still haven’t heard if newer computer fixes that or any updates in regards to.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Only between D and R. Not power down.
Have you heard anything about the newer model comps fixing that? Since they do an update to the newer models for cooling fan I wonder if that could be done to the older models to get this as well?

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Have you heard anything about the newer model comps fixing that? Since they do an update to the newer models for cooling fan I wonder if that could be done to the older models to get this as well?
No.
I'm not really sure what all gets updated. I bet it's just covered as a "fan" update.

@Tramguage1 said his drove differently.

We need someone to take theirs in and then go riding to see if there is any clutch improvements or other things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you're in the minority which doesn't exactly equate to "common sense" just because it's what you like. I imagine they chose to default to the mode that gives the user the least amount of opportunity to mess something up, and requires the least input. I assume you know you can still manually shift in auto mode. I agree it doesn't always shift at the right time but most of the time I can get by in auto with a few clicks when I need to.

Yes, I can manual shift in auto but it is not the same as manual. My complaint is if it was good for the Rinny, why not the Pioneer? If I understand correctly from down comments, later machines than my '16 will stay in. Try chasing cows, making a sudden stop and reverse, back to high and not having the responsiveness of balls to the wall manual without always having to reach for that ill placed button.
The one P1K-3 I've been in only has auto, no paddle shifters. Do the later than '16's have them?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I can manual shift in auto but it is not the same as manual. My complaint is if it was good for the Rinny, why not the Pioneer? If I understand correctly from down comments, later machines than my '16 will stay in. Try chasing cows, making a sudden stop and reverse, back to high and not having the responsiveness of balls to the wall manual without always having to reach for that ill placed button.
The one P1K-3 I've been in only has auto, no paddle shifters. Do the later than '16's have them?
Just an idea what if you held the button in, if it works then shove a shim in there to hold it. If it wasn't raining cats and dogs here I'd run out and try.

D

DDDonkey

Have you tried putting it in sport mode, I know that it is not manual mode but it hold the shift longer and this is sounds like what your looking for.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Just an idea what if you held the button in, if it works then shove a shim in there to hold it. If it wasn't raining cats and dogs here I'd run out and try.
No. Does not work. I tried it today.
A 3 way switch will not work either.
It's a mode selector button more than it is a switch.

2017 models will stay in the set mode when shifting between D R N L. But power down and it defaults back to auto.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's the base 3 seater. It has no power steering or paddle shifters. You have to get the EPS 3 seater or all the 5 seaters have EPS and paddle shifters.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Have you tried putting it in sport mode, I know that it is not manual mode but it hold the shift longer and this is sounds like what your looking for.
It wouldn’t stay in sport either.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Yea I get that I actually/unfortunately chase cows regularly. Yes on the newer models they keep the memory of manual or auto until the machine is shut off. Maybe you can talk a dealer into giving you the 2018 program?

I think maybe a base 1000-3 with no power steering is the only machine without paddles.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the replies! I figured I would be out of luck on this mod and I would get the model year before the 'little' things were thought of. Or are they what keep us upgrading to the new model?:D
I'll just keep adding to my Hoda fleet.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After getting fed up with having to reach for that stupid and poorly placed button in the middle of the dash, I had a brainstorm. I removed the rocker switch and it is a mere 3 wire switch that moments from middle to brown wire for sport or green wire for manual.
I now have a micro moment button switch in the back of my left paddle which provides QUICK manual mode select. Still don't like having to select every time but much better now!
20200202 203607

advertisement