P1000 DCT Transmission for Pioneer 1000's

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In retrospect I believe the Africa Twin is a great engine with mega power and very good fuel economy but I am not sure the DCT transmission was the best choice for this application. I'm not just talking about the burned clutch issues on some units. Take a look at the number of questions about clunking gear shifts, units stuck in one gear or another or changing from one mode or another. Some are having to "retrain" the transmission or adjust the linkage to make sure the right signal is sent to the electronic shifting mechanism. Personally I would gladly give up automatic mode to have a mechanical shifter with direct linkage. I think it is crazy to create a $18000 SXS that does not shift as easily or dependably as my $3500 Recon. Add the fact that many of us in hot climates can't even ride without being roasted or having to come up with work arounds like additional insulation, bilge blowers, etc and you have to wonder if the engineers who created this beast ever spent two weeks in the field riding them. Now we are all learning that we must do something about the air intake if we want to safely trail ride through shallow creeks and mud puddles. What did they think our intended use for these machines would be? I love this machine but I didn't buy it to use it for a golf cart. Just my .02

Last edited:
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The Pioneer 1000 is not perfect and neither is any of the other side by side so deal with it or get something else. It would be nice if they would fix some of the heat problems and I would like it if they would offer a manual clutch model but I'm old

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have no intention of getting rid of it. My point is that we should not be dealing with these problems on an $18000 machine and more specifically a Honda. I own and have owned a very long list of Honda 4 wheelers, 3 Wheelers, Autos, lawn mowers, generators, weed eaters, etc. and I have never seen them bring a product to market with such poor attention to detail.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know man, mine has been great. I don't have bilge blowers or insulation or a snorkel and mine shifts like I would expect. I've gotten used to the shift solenoid noise now. There is a very small percentage of owners on these forums, keep that in mind. If there were as big of problems as some make it out to be, they wouldn't offer them for sale.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know man, mine has been great. I don't have bilge blowers or insulation or a snorkel and mine shifts like I would expect. I've gotten used to the shift solenoid noise now. There is a very small percentage of owners on these forums, keep that in mind. If there were as big of problems as some make it out to be, they wouldn't offer them for sale.
Lol. Come on down to hot humid Arkansas and it will give you a different perspective on the heat issue.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lol. Come on down to hot humid Arkansas and it will give you a different perspective on the heat issue.
Actually, it gets pretty hot and humid here as well, trust me. I believe it has to do with how my accessories are configured. I have a hard roof and back panel with a half windshield. Absolutely no heat problem anymore. If I take the rear panel off, different story, just enough of a vacume is created by that half windshield to pull the heat in. If no windshield, no heat problem. The problem isn't the machine, its the accessories that are added to it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think the quality control and vehicle testing was a little sub par for Honda on this model compared only to other hondas, we have all seen a few issues heat water clutches. Certain things people have problems with that others don't. The 500 and 700 do seem to be more of Honda from the past. There's been a few loose nuts and bolts and issues like that and were not use to that from Honda. The motor/transmission do seem very good and even having slight problems with the clutches we have to remember this is an over 1700 pound rig that some of us ask a lot from. It's still far better then anything I have seen on the market so let's just hope lessons are learned on this one from the manufacturer. I truly do love our 1000 and a few of the issues I'd still rather have then worry about other things. I STILL TRUST IT FULLY! Never said that with another rig. And we've had more problems then anyone (at least on a Honda) Until Honda sxs we stayed within 5-10 miles of camp depending on daylight, now we've been as far as 70 out at dark without a single worry. That's got to say something.