P1000 Cutch update question

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree with the guys saying have it done right away....the only way I would wait at all is if you will be taking it back to them for the 100 mile break in service/oil change. You could get the first 100 miles on it while they are waiting for the clutch cover to come in. If they already had the parts though I would just have them do it now but if they don't I would want to sit and wait on it either.....that is what I suggested to buddy. He picked his up 2 weeks ago and got the break-in miles while the parts were coming in and took it back for service and clutch update cover! Just an idea!

Already been waiting 2 weeks for delivery. The dealer is still waiting on parts for the cabin heat upgrade.

I told them when I signed the papers I wanted both upgrades but they said I didn’t so I told them again yesterday I wanted the clutch upgrade.

Both upgrades are to be installed before delivery.

At this rate I might see my P1K3 by Christmas....hopefully!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
After doing some due diligence it appears to me that there are 3 fixes. The first fix would be if the vehicle is new and hopefully no clutch damage. The other 2 fixes are for clutch’s with varying amounts of clutch damage.

Since my vehicle falls in the first fix category I believe Honda is only going to do repairs to the clutch cover.

Would this be a correct accesment.
There is 3 parts to the "clutch update program " kit A is the cover and a few other parts, kit C is other parts if the clutch is good. Kit B includes the clutch pack and parts in kit C for units exhibiting slipping by dealer evaluation.

Typically you would have kits A& C installed on a new machine or one not exhibiting slipping issues.

Reactions: Rick_Rusch
Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is 3 parts to the "clutch update program " kit A is the cover and a few other parts, kit C is other parts if the clutch is good. Kit B includes the clutch pack and parts in kit C for units exhibiting slipping by dealer evaluation.

Typically you would have kits A& C installed on a new machine or one not exhibiting slipping issues.

I’m guessing the “other parts” in kit C are not the same parts as the “few other parts” in kit A?

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I’m guessing the “other parts” in kit C are not the same parts as the “few other parts” in kit A?
No if you read the update campaign flyer it pretty much shows you, each little piece.

P1000 - VERIFIED - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update!

Kit A and C part by part.
Screenshot 20171122 181059

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
OK, my new pioneer should get Kit A and C.

The rest of the bulletin is is how you install Kit A and C and nothing about Kit B?

Do I have this right?
Yes you are correct, no mention of kit B, simply if the clutch is slipping the dealership is to contact Honda on how to proceed and that woukd be kit A & B not being mentioned.
It's cost control on Hondas part, it they showed the B every Tom, Dick, and Harry would be pestering to get new free clutches, regardless if thiers were damaged or not.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes you are correct, no mention of kit B, simply if the clutch is slipping the dealership is to contact Honda on how to proceed and that woukd be kit A & B not being mentioned.
It's cost control on Hondas part, it they showed the B every Tom, Dick, and Harry would be pestering to get new free clutches, regardless if thiers were damaged or not.
My Repair Order Invoice has the B listed. As follows for units with a a burned clutch, kits A,B, 1 Clutch, Oil pan Gasket, and Strainer Seal are required. KH5C 2.6 HR

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Sure looks like a lot of work for an allotted 1.6 hours

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sure looks like a lot of work for an allotted 1.6 hours
The 1.6 hour job is for units without slipping or burned clutches, clutch covers only, from what I gather from my Repair Order Invoice.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I agree have it done, trust me I have torn the thing apart several times working on clutches and installing IGR. I ordered all the parts for the update myself and it's more or less the gaskets on it, a new cover that's has an additional orfice and a bearing that has a seal. Not a lot to the fix.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

There are only 2 kits:

KH5A Upgraded cover and associated parts

KH5B Upgraded cover/ associated parts. The clutch is being replaced but there are no fibers missing. New rear cover and oil tank gaskets

KH5C Same as "B" but your cleaning the system out because there is severe fiber loss or burning.

B and C pay 2.6 and A pays 1.6, B and C are bulls***. I can kill A in no time but to install a clutch, flush and put the bed back on is rough in under 3. That's not including the clutch reset time. Closer to 3.5 and that's if you don't get a dirty sumb**** with bolts covered the hell over.

Reactions: JACKAL
Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are only 2 kits:

KH5A Upgraded cover and associated parts

KH5B Upgraded cover/ associated parts. The clutch is being replaced but there are no fibers missing. New rear cover and oil tank gaskets

KH5C Same as "B" but your cleaning the system out because there is severe fiber loss or burning.

B and C pay 2.6 and A pays 1.6, B and C are bulls***. I can kill A in no time but to install a clutch, flush and put the bed back on is rough in under 3. That's not including the clutch reset time. Closer to 3.5 and that's if you don't get a dirty sumb**** with bolts covered the hell over.

I’m guessing by your moniker you are an actual Honda tech, would that be correct? If so that hopefully means you know what you are talking about. So my new 2017 Pioneer that has yet to be delivered will only get Kit A? Correct?

I appreciate all the responses but this seems to be a very confusing topic with a lot of interpretations. I don’t feel so bad now still being confused after reading the bulletin several times.

To completely satisfy my curiosity I’m going to call the Honda tech line the next day they are open to confirm exactly what they are going to do to my machine.

Again thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m guessing by your moniker you are an actual Honda tech, would that be correct? If so that hopefully means you know what you are talking about. So my new 2017 Pioneer that has yet to be delivered will only get Kit A? Correct?

I appreciate all the responses but this seems to be a very confusing topic with a lot of interpretations. I don’t feel so bad now still being confused after reading the bulletin several times.

To completely satisfy my curiosity I’m going to call the Honda tech line the next day they are open to confirm exactly what they are going to do to my machine.

Again thanks everyone.
You won't believe how smooth take off is going to be. Before my latest correction, I had to keep my heel firmly planted on the floor board for a smooth take off. For leverage control.

H

HondaTech

Again thanks everyone.

Yes, per my username, I am lol.

That's correct. All new units will get A only. Alot of confusion is misinformation am from Honda dealing with changes they seem to be making on a almost weekly basis with these 2 updates. What I tell a customer today about availability of parts will change tomorrow. So take it easy on your dealers we're dealing with changing info, 100 impatient people and the sales department wanting all the new units done now so the customer doesn't have to wait when they buy a unit.