P1000 Cutch update question

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I need some input.

I still haven’t taken possession of my P1K, dealer is waiting on parts for the cabin heat upgrade repair.

Should I also get the clutch update installed now or wait until I get my unit to see if the clutch performs OK under my use?

Is the clutch problem a big deal under normal use?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I need some input.

I still haven’t taken possession of my P1K, dealer is waiting on parts for the cabin heat upgrade repair.

Should I also get the clutch update installed now or wait until I get my unit to see if the clutch performs OK under my use?

What year model?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are buying from the dealer I would ask that they complete the clutch update prior to getting. I know it is awful tempting to go ahead and get and run for a bit but I would want it to be ready to go before I picked it up. that also means that you get the upgrade while your clutches are new.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you are buying from the dealer I would ask that they complete the clutch update prior to getting. I know it is awful tempting to go ahead and get and run for a bit but I would want it to be ready to go before I picked it up. that also means that you get the upgrade while your clutches are new.

Yes I am buying from a dealer. I am leaning towards letting them do the update but that means longer delivery time.

Last edited:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I am buying from a dealer. I am leaning towards letting them do the update but that means longer delivery time.
I know it will be a killer in the beginning but probably better in the longer run and will put a little pressure on them to get it done.

trust me I picked up mine last year on Thanksgiving eve and it killed me to even have to wait until Thanksgiving dinner (lunch to you non southerners) before me and my son could sneak it to the local Riding park.... but we have our own tradition now.

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know it will be a killer in the beginning but probably better in the longer run and will put a little pressure on them to get it done.

trust me I picked up mine last year on Thanksgiving eve and it killed me to even have to wait until Thanksgiving dinner (lunch to you non southerners) before me and my son could sneak it to the local Riding park.... but we have our own tradition now.

I just hate for them to have to tear the church apart on a new machine.

Reactions: Ragnar406
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Looking over the clutch service bulletin the repair looks much more involved than just the clutch cover.
I am looking at my repairs invoice now, it says, units without slipping or burnt clutch kits, fix is A & C kit only, 1.6 hour job. I would have it done, you'll spend more time hauling it back to them than waiting for the repairs

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am looking at my repairs invoice now, it says, units without slipping or burnt clutch kits, fix is A & C kit only, 1.6 hour job. I would have it done, you'll spend more time hauling it back to them than waiting for the repairs

Looking at the bulletin again, it states......

DEALER INVENTORY UNIT......(which my vehicle is)

If the customer requests the product improve- ment on a brand new unit, proceed to CLUTCH IMPROVEMENT KIT INSTALLATION.

Which is more than just the clutch cover.

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Smitty, I’m not questioning your response. I just don’t see what you are saying in the service bulletin.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Smitty, I’m not questioning your response. I just don’t see what you are saying in the service bulletin.
It has 3 different fixes listed the other 2 fixes are 2.6 hour fixes apiece and require clutch replacements

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Looking at the bulletin again, it states......

DEALER INVENTORY UNIT......(which my vehicle is)

If the customer requests the product improve- ment on a brand new unit, proceed to CLUTCH IMPROVEMENT KIT INSTALLATION.

Which is more than just the clutch cover.
I think that is clutch covers, which include chamfered oil relief valves with larger oil ports, for more oil on the clutch to make them run cooler. Your call. Mines on its 3rd 135 clutch assembly. And works better than it has ever done.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think that is clutch covers, which include chamfered oil relief valves with larger oil ports, for more oil on the clutch to make them run cooler. Your call. Mines on its 3rd 135 clutch assembly. And works better than it has ever done.
I have busted two stock front tires and one 8 ply front tire. I don't ride the sissy trails or ride at sissy speed, just saying. And running Elka Stage 5's

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I need some input.

I highly recommend having them do the update from the get go, this should mitigate any possibility of having issues.

Reactions: JTW
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I agree with the guys saying have it done right away....the only way I would wait at all is if you will be taking it back to them for the 100 mile break in service/oil change. You could get the first 100 miles on it while they are waiting for the clutch cover to come in. If they already had the parts though I would just have them do it now but if they don't I would want to sit and wait on it either.....that is what I suggested to buddy. He picked his up 2 weeks ago and got the break-in miles while the parts were coming in and took it back for service and clutch update cover! Just an idea!

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After doing some due diligence it appears to me that there are 3 fixes. The first fix would be if the vehicle is new and hopefully no clutch damage. The other 2 fixes are for clutch’s with varying amounts of clutch damage.

Since my vehicle falls in the first fix category I believe Honda is only going to do repairs to the clutch cover.

Would this be a correct accesment.

advertisement