P1000 Clutch update

TAW

TAW

Sep 12, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you put a lift on it yet? I just put front shocks on... I haven't really got to out it thru it's paces yet. But the lift has been one of my favorite additions so far.
Yes if you look at my avatar you'll see it I put a three inch lift with 28 in mudd tires ended up with just under 19 in of clearance haven't got stuck yet since then

Reactions: elkguide and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes if you look at my avatar you'll see it I put a three inch lift with 28 in mudd tires ended up with just under 19 in of clearance haven't got stuck yet since then
You mudders. Ha!

TAW

TAW

Sep 12, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Heat can be fixed pretty easily. I have a 17 with some Honda updates but it needs a bit more on the seat heat though I haven't burn't up in it. They fixed the shifter heat. Fox shocks are good, actually they seem really good.
I hear they are a huge improvement from the stock shocks I actually thought about seeing if the Can-Am stock shocks fit. My brother has a Can-Am we run 40 mph over all kinds of SH$t and it floats right over it he talks Sh$t but I still like my Honda more than the Can-Am

Reactions: Plumber32
TAW

TAW

Sep 12, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You mudders. Ha!
lol I hate the mudd but it's a fact of life in East Texas! I want a lease in the South West of Texas where it's dry but driving 3 to 5 hours is not a option for me I go to the lease every other weekend in the summer and every weekend during deer season the fuel bill would eat up all my SXS upgrade money!

Reactions: JTW
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I hear they are a huge improvement from the stock shocks I actually thought about seeing if the Can-Am stock shocks fit. My brother has a Can-Am we run 40 mph over all kinds of SH$t and it floats right over it he talks Sh$t but I still like my Honda more than the Can-Am
Cant say too much yet on the Fox other than I ride double the speed in some areas I ride the 700 and 500 and don't blink and could probably go more. The LE with the Fox is very fun once you get used to the whiny ass high revving style. Tell your brother your Honda will still start and run in 10 years.

TAW

TAW

Sep 12, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cant say too much yet on the Fox other than I ride double the speed in some areas I ride the 700 and 500 and don't blink and could probably go more. The LE with the Fox is very fun once you get used to the whiny ass high revving style. Tell your brother your Honda will still start and run in 10 years.
lol I'll tell him. This is my first SXS but I did my research before I spent $20 grand I have no regrets just a couple upgrades to make it perfect

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I noticed on FB that a gentleman stated that his machine is currently at Abernathy's for burned clutches and the service department has stated they aren't going to replace them until Honda releases a fix.

Being they are the largest Polaris dealer in the US and they usually have a huge number of machines waiting to be assembled and sold (not to mention all of the repairs :p) and they have a pretty limited amount of real estate around the store, I would make the assumption that there is a fix coming and it is coming really soon.

I believe this ties in with Jackal's mention of an August fix in another thread.

I am looking forward to seeing what it is and I don' t even have a P1000 anymore. :D

Sorry if I got off topic. Must be quiet on the Defender site. :D

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I might be down with that - we were planning to go for my Bday in late Jan anyway.
Move it back a liite and come join us. Should be a few members for out of state coming to do some Rocks!!!

H

HondaTech

I really hope Honda find something as well. Im kind of tires of working on P1K clutches, lol. Ive done around 8 so far but a few have had creeping issues right out of the box, those unita usually have the most burnt clutches verse one which is just slipping. If you guys have a burnt clutch or have been back for more than one or have weird oil pressure light issues. Here are some tips:

Make sure the dealer or whoever does the install cleans the valve body and clutch cover out very throughly. Also clean the rear engine cover with the oil pump attached.

Inisde the clutch cover is the emergency valve, under the exposed brass screw. Make sure this is free and not stuck, it should come all the way out. There is a spring underneath that will make it rebound if pushed in. If this valve is stuck then the first clutch can get to much oil pressure and cause the light to come on. By the way oil pressure light will illuminate with "abnormal" oil pressure. So low or high and does count trans oil pressure. So a light coming on does not necessarily mean low engine oil pressure.

I just recently chased a random oil light that came on after running the unit really hard for approx. 10 mins. The light would illuminate at random afterwards at idle. The emergency valve would not return to normal after tricking it into staying in 2nd. Another note on the emergency valve, if you turn it in and the dash shows 1st gear then shifts to 2nd once moving its stuck and needs to be removed.

Just some things to look for if your having issues or your dealer cant figure it out. Youll be surprised how many multi line dealers have no good Honda techs because their a whole different animal compared to everyone else.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I really hope Honda find something as well. Im kind of tires of working on P1K clutches, lol. Ive done around 8 so far but a few have had creeping issues right out of the box, those unita usually have the most burnt clutches verse one which is just slipping. If you guys have a burnt clutch or have been back for more than one or have weird oil pressure light issues. Here are some tips:

Make sure the dealer or whoever does the install cleans the valve body and clutch cover out very throughly. Also clean the rear engine cover with the oil pump attached.

Inisde the clutch cover is the emergency valve, under the exposed brass screw. Make sure this is free and not stuck, it should come all the way out. There is a spring underneath that will make it rebound if pushed in. If this valve is stuck then the first clutch can get to much oil pressure and cause the light to come on. By the way oil pressure light will illuminate with "abnormal" oil pressure. So low or high and does count trans oil pressure. So a light coming on does not necessarily mean low engine oil pressure.

I just recently chased a random oil light that came on after running the unit really hard for approx. 10 mins. The light would illuminate at random afterwards at idle. The emergency valve would not return to normal after tricking it into staying in 2nd. Another note on the emergency valve, if you turn it in and the dash shows 1st gear then shifts to 2nd once moving its stuck and needs to be removed.

Just some things to look for if your having issues or your dealer cant figure it out. Youll be surprised how many multi line dealers have no good Honda techs because their a whole different animal compared to everyone else.
That's very good info and great advice too, any tips on how you go about "making sure the dealer......cleans the valve body and clutch cover properly? My experience has been that they don't like 'advice' lol.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Take it apart and clean it yourself for fun :), but that is a good question.

Reactions: Montecresto
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
just talked to a dealer and he said they have not had to replace the clutches on a 2017 yet. all the work has been on the 2016. has anybody heard of anyone having a clutch problem on a 2017. he did say Honda was working on some stuff for the clutches but would not say what.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yeah pretty sure had one last year at the takeover right?

Reactions: nbomar
advertisement