P1000 Clutch Update Question

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Apparently Honda has changed their qualifying procedure for this upgrade. I spoke with my service manager today because I was scheduled to bring my 2017 1000-5 LE in tomorrow for the clutch and comfort upgrades. Honda is now requiring an inspection prior to releasing the clutch kit because there are 3 separate kits depending on the condition of the clutch and the degree of slippage. I told him I wasn't bringing it in for inspection since I live more than 3 hours away. It has between 500 and 600 miles and so far as I can tell no clutch problems. It did overheat once but it was from slow speed and the radiator fan failed to come on. (I now have a manual switch) Anyhow he is trying to get a waiver of the inspection so he can get the parts. It seems that if they are upgrading all the floor models they can surely upgrade customer models without making them jump through excessive hoops.

H

HondaTech

This info is partially correct. Honda is accepting 3 different warranty "templates" for clurch updates.

A. Update only

B. Update and clutch, no fibers missing, not heavily burnt

C. Update and clutch, fibers missing heavily burnt

Honda does not require the unit to be there but if your charging them for a "B" or "C" claim then you best have a bad clutch, invade they call for It. They haven't yet, but if a dealer starts doing everyone as needing a clutch they might get suspicious.

What we're doing is if your wanting the update done and haven't noticed any issues then we'll order a update and then drive it when it gets there. If after test running and pulling the cover off we see an issue we will then notify you of the problem and go from there.

Honda wants to fix each of these right, they don't want someone saying " I had the update done and my clutches smoked afterwards" because they didn't look at them properly when doing the update. It's no more work to look at them while your in there. They also don't have alot of these things to go around so that's why they require a VIN to order, so someone doesn't stockpile the lot of them.

Also they shouldn't be fixing all their new units, I don't think Honda has shipped out kits to cover all new inventory, just requested new sales. But the reasoning behind those are it's and easy swap, you know the clutch is good in them.

Be patient with your dealer I'm sure he has 100 other guys yelling about him for the same thing. That and Honda hasn't been 100% together on these things. The first couple I did wirh clutches got kicked back because the guy we talked to didn't know anything about a "B" or "C" claim.

Reactions: lee
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That makes me feel a little better about some of my rants lol. I guess what pissed me off was some that give you flack for your experiences and the continued denial from the manufacturer that there is a serious problem with a couple things. Then shortly after Honda has 3 "fixes" in a row for things that weren't a problem or were totally self induced. But...nice to see things being addressed, it gains faith back amongst some of us.
Is your faith in Honda intact? And I guess you got your P1-5 going?
This info is partially correct. Honda is accepting 3 different warranty "templates" for clurch updates.

A. Update only

B. Update and clutch, no fibers missing, not heavily burnt

C. Update and clutch, fibers missing heavily burnt

Honda does not require the unit to be there but if your charging them for a "B" or "C" claim then you best have a bad clutch, invade they call for It. They haven't yet, but if a dealer starts doing everyone as needing a clutch they might get suspicious.

What we're doing is if your wanting the update done and haven't noticed any issues then we'll order a update and then drive it when it gets there. If after test running and pulling the cover off we see an issue we will then notify you of the problem and go from there.

Honda wants to fix each of these right, they don't want someone saying " I had the update done and my clutches smoked afterwards" because they didn't look at them properly when doing the update. It's no more work to look at them while your in there. They also don't have alot of these things to go around so that's why they require a VIN to order, so someone doesn't stockpile the lot of them.

Also they shouldn't be fixing all their new units, I don't think Honda has shipped out kits to cover all new inventory, just requested new sales. But the reasoning behind those are it's and easy swap, you know the clutch is good in them.

Be patient with your dealer I'm sure he has 100 other guys yelling about him for the same thing. That and Honda hasn't been 100% together on these things. The first couple I did wirh clutches got kicked back because the guy we talked to didn't know anything about a "B" or "C" claim.
I didn't lie to my service mgr. told him the clutch wasn't slipping but shook violently at slow start, he said the clutches had over heated and the plates were stuck together. And when they separated that's caused the violent shuddering. I think he's right, cause when I got mine back from first clutch replacement it was smooth and it got worse with use. Just not enough oil to the clutch plates.???????

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hot94Z28

Hot94Z28

Oct 22, 2017
Lexington Missouri
I was told by my dealer the rig had to be slipping or they could not do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was told by my dealer the rig had to be slipping or they could not do it.

Just back it up to a tree in reverse and give it a little gas for 5 minutes and it will slip! Is your real jumpy on slow starts? If it is your clutch plates are stuck together. And a new clutch is warranted

Reactions: Someguy
advertisement
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I called my dealer, informed them of this campaign the day we found out here. He said I’ll call you when I get parts. Mine was just done today. My clutch wasn’t slipping, and they never asked me if it was I don’t believe. Sound to me like some of these dealers don’t want to deal with it.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I called my dealer, informed them of this campaign the day we found out here. He said I’ll call you when I get parts. Mine was just done today. My clutch wasn’t slipping, and they never asked me if it was I don’t believe. Sound to me like some of these dealers don’t want to deal with it.
Man , are you a brain surgeon? HA!

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my 2016 shutters and lurches when I try to start rolling slowly and smoothly. I have around 200 miles but have been in some pretty hairy rock climbs. It has good acceleration and no other issues with the clutches that I can tell. Should I take it to the dealer and will they warranty it?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So my 2016 shutters and lurches when I try to start rolling slowly and smoothly. I have around 200 miles but have been in some pretty hairy rock climbs. It has good acceleration and no other issues with the clutches that I can tell. Should I take it to the dealer and will they warranty it?

YEP!

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I called my service dept maybe one or two days after the campaign was announced here and told them I wanted to have the clutch update done when I bring it in for the first service. He asked if I'd had any problems and I told him I had not, but I'd be doing slow, rocky trail riding and wanted to minimize the risk of it happening in the future as I worked out of state and scheduling service would be very difficult. He said he'd put me on the list and hoped they'd have the parts in by the time of my service date, but he couldn't say for sure.

The weekend before my service date was the Rush Springs ride. After talking with @Tramguage1 I'd pretty much decided to wait to do the update. When I went to drop it off that next week (9am, they were just opening), I talked to the service manager to find out if the parts had come in. He said they had and I told him I was thinking about not doing the clutch update. He asked me about the conditions I ride in, if I always kept it in low range on the trails (yes) and he said he doubted that I'd ever see a problem... but as I had called in and was #3 on the list, he thought it would be better to do it now than wait, decide I wanted it later and being put on a list that had become pretty long... as in if I called in that day, I'd be close to #40 in line.

So, I went ahead and had it done. On my way back home, I got a call from him saying that they wanted to do the update campaign for the heat issue. I told him I'd already taken care of that myself (heat shield/radiator fan), but he said I'd be getting a letter soon and they'd be calling to ask me to bring it in anyway. He said they'd take off my heat shield and I could put it back on myself later if I wanted to, so I had that done as well. I received a call around 4pm that same day, saying it was ready to go.

I only got to ride it around my property a couple of times before hitting the road for work, but it did seem a bit quieter and smoother than before. Just got back home tonight for the Thanksgiving holiday - we're supposed to go for a ride this weekend in the national forest close to where we live and I'll be able to see if I can tell a difference.

Dallasaero

Dallasaero

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2016
Poplar MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spoke with Honda shop in College Station, Texas asking about the clutch update. They told me that they would need my Pioneer for at least 2 weeks to run test on the machine to see which fix it needs. Has anyone else heard about this testing? I have a 2017 1000-5 Deluxe. Thanks.
Something is fishy. My dealer in Miles City Montana ordered the parts, called me when they had them in. I dropped it off at 10 AM and at 3 PM they called with it all done, including the comfort kit, the clutch kit and a complete service job.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Something is fishy. My dealer in Miles City Montana ordered the parts, called me when they had them in. I dropped it off at 10 AM and at 3 PM they called with it all done, including the comfort kit, the clutch kit and a complete service job.

Good dealer for sure.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My dealer needed my vin number and ordered the clutch kit. It came in in a few days. I made an appointment took it in in the morning and got it back in the afternoon. At most dealers it should be like making an appointment for an oil change. Most dealers don't have a lot of room to store these side by sides. Mine had over 11,000 miles on it when I took it in. On the 5 seat model its takes awhile to remover all the plastic under the bed. They have to clean the back of the engine so I recommend removing the plastic and doing a clean up before you take it in especially if your a mud rider. Honda pays for everything but it helps the mechanic to get a clean engine. My dealer jacks the back end up enough so they only lose about 2 oz of oil.

S

Shifty

Aug 1, 2016
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spoke with Honda shop in College Station, Texas asking about the clutch update. They told me that they would need my Pioneer for at least 2 weeks to run test on the machine to see which fix it needs. Has anyone else heard about this testing? I have a 2017 1000-5 Deluxe. Thanks.
I agree with CumminsPusher, I just had mine done at dealer, no testing needed on 2016 or 17. Had to order another batch of update kits, took a week to get those, he called when in I then took machine to them on a Thursday and picked it up Saturday am. No hassle, great shop. Dealer in CdA Idaho.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I called my service dept maybe one or two days after the campaign was announced here and told them I wanted to have the clutch update done when I bring it in for the first service. He asked if I'd had any problems and I told him I had not, but I'd be doing slow, rocky trail riding and wanted to minimize the risk of it happening in the future as I worked out of state and scheduling service would be very difficult. He said he'd put me on the list and hoped they'd have the parts in by the time of my service date, but he couldn't say for sure.

The weekend before my service date was the Rush Springs ride. After talking with @Tramguage1 I'd pretty much decided to wait to do the update. When I went to drop it off that next week (9am, they were just opening), I talked to the service manager to find out if the parts had come in. He said they had and I told him I was thinking about not doing the clutch update. He asked me about the conditions I ride in, if I always kept it in low range on the trails (yes) and he said he doubted that I'd ever see a problem... but as I had called in and was #3 on the list, he thought it would be better to do it now than wait, decide I wanted it later and being put on a list that had become pretty long... as in if I called in that day, I'd be close to #40 in line.

So, I went ahead and had it done. On my way back home, I got a call from him saying that they wanted to do the update campaign for the heat issue. I told him I'd already taken care of that myself (heat shield/radiator fan), but he said I'd be getting a letter soon and they'd be calling to ask me to bring it in anyway. He said they'd take off my heat shield and I could put it back on myself later if I wanted to, so I had that done as well. I received a call around 4pm that same day, saying it was ready to go.

I only got to ride it around my property a couple of times before hitting the road for work, but it did seem a bit quieter and smoother than before. Just got back home tonight for the Thanksgiving holiday - we're supposed to go for a ride this weekend in the national forest close to where we live and I'll be able to see if I can tell a difference.
How is it now?

advertisement