Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have trail armor, can't give you a comparison to others as it is the only aftermarket skids I have any experience with. I can tell you I was sceptical of "plastic" but got over that as I read about them. I was very impressed when they arrived and I witnessed the construction, weight and thickness. Granted I have not had a ton of time on them but I have been on some trails where I got to the top or bottom and got out to look underneath because I was posititive I had either ripped the things off or there would be a big gash present. So far only a few scrapes are visible.

Not going to make your decision any easier on what type or brand but I can tell you you will not regret buying them. It is a lot of money for something that you don't see but dang if you don't get to feel and see the worth on a good trail.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have Trail Armor and run on some of the roughest terrain around. I full recommend these skids! They have battle scares but they provide full protection and are holding up extremely well. Trail armor will price match so pick up the phone and call them if your interested.

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trail armor all the way! Love mine, great people to deal with as well plus the hardware they use is top notch as well. Only regret I have is I wish I would have gotten them the day I bought the pioneer. After a year of riding and trying to be careful, when I went to install the trail armor, I had to bend my factory cross members because they all 3 were bent up an inch from the crappy factory skid plates being so thin. You want regret getting them.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Floorboard protection in these is pretty important so that's a good idea. All skids should come with fluid change holes to allow for that but usually smaller then stock and going through more material makes it a little tougher is all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been thinking, believe it or not, about using OME skids as fender well protection. Will take some cutting .

Reactions: Windrock1000
J

JTW

Trail armor all the way! Love mine, great people to deal with as well plus the hardware they use is top notch as well. Only regret I have is I wish I would have gotten them the day I bought the pioneer. After a year of riding and trying to be careful, when I went to install the trail armor, I had to bend my factory cross members because they all 3 were bent up an inch from the crappy factory skid plates being so thin. You want regret getting them.
Has anyone tried to see if they'll price match the S&S Fabrication skids? I mean they may be made of different materials but so what? "I'' going to buy this one or yours.. can you price match?"

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

Been thinking, believe it or not, about using OME skids as fender well protection. Will take some cutting .
I was considering the same thing.. but I think there are just too many holes in it!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

Well... here's to shopping after midnight!!!

Rival Skids, ordered!
$773 (to my door.)

IMG 4415

Now it's just a waiting game...

Takeover, here I come!

Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement
J

JTW

Woot woot!! Good choice!! I'll bet money they weigh less than any 1/2 UHMW skid!

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Edges aren't tapered there's a very slight round on the two outside edges. Mine have held up great. Are a little harder to clean out then most because no drain holes but they don't allow sticks to come through either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have these as well no issues

J

JTW

⅜" is 55-60lbs
That's 3/8th.. half inch is more comparable to aluminum in strength but still not quite as strong. They're using 1/4 aluminum to compare weights and aluminum skids are 3/16th which is 83.8 lbs on a 4x8 sheet.. compared to 1/2" UHMW at 79.2 lbs on a 4x8 sheet... The rival 4mm skids are a hair thinner than 3/16th so should be some lighter. The weight argument between 1/2" UHMW and aluminum shouldn't even be a talking point. But I've seen it brought up so many times when I was looking. It's strictly the properties and cost of the materials that should be considered when choosing between the two. Different strokes for different folks.. and eachbhave their merits. I just don't want to see people make a choice on skids based on inaccurate or misleading info put out by those manufacturing the skids.
IMG 3185

advertisement