P1000 Catastrophic failure

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
I'm sure it will it's just a speed bump in life. There is a small chance I'll make the news tonight so watch to see "strange things happening in the Northwest...tonight at 11"

Sorry for all the bad luck.Another way of putting all this is (This is just a splinter in your A** as you slide down the bannister of life) hopefully some good luck will come your way .

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. But you may have a legitimate argurement on a insurance claim being that you have a video showing that it wasn't a very big puddle. As for the theft there ain't nothing worse than a thef!

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Man....SO sorry to read about this! I've drowned many ATVs over the years but I've never ruined anything before. Have you another dealership that can give you a second opinion?

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As many of you know My Pioneer inhaled some water last weekend from just a puddle that we had run through a bit too quickly and and came out dead. I brought it into the dealer on Tuesday they said they'd look at it as soon as they could they were backed up. Got the call yesterday that the dealer had been broken into and my rig was one of the two that was vandalized. Went in yesterday to help with the police report and found my main lightbar was stolen and wiring going into my front roll bars cut which is a lot. To add to this I received the phone call 30 minutes ago from the manager saying "catastrophic failure on motor and transmission". Warrentee will not cover it being water related. Rough day guys!
Talk about kickin a guy while he's down...hate to hear all this bad news. Hope they can get it all sorted out for ya,and catch the rat bass turd that thieved ur stuff. Best of luck to ya!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
We were looking at it and I asked what if it takes on a little water here and there till it fills up and sucks up large amount into the intake that may explain how so much came in and sucked past the filter he agreed that may just be possible. Water could collect there over days even weeks because it would be slow to evaporate. That's all I've got
Yeah - when I first saw that snorkel pipe go back and down then back up to the airbox, I wondered how that could be great.
Your description reminds me of snorkeling at the beach with a leaky snorkel. I'd blow out the water, then it slowly accumulates and gurgles till it gets enough to block the passage of air - then all of a sudden I get a mouthful of salt water.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. But you may have a legitimate argurement on a insurance claim being that you have a video showing that it wasn't a very big puddle. As for the theft there ain't nothing worse than a thef!
No he should be brought with us camping and just left for the animals

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Man....SO sorry to read about this! I've drowned many ATVs over the years but I've never ruined anything before. Have you another dealership that can give you a second opinion?
I may I'm just super frustrated. I really want my machine back

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
As many of you know My Pioneer inhaled some water last weekend from just a puddle that we had run through a bit too quickly and and came out dead. I brought it into the dealer on Tuesday they said they'd look at it as soon as they could they were backed up. Got the call yesterday that the dealer had been broken into and my rig was one of the two that was vandalized. Went in yesterday to help with the police report and found my main lightbar was stolen and wiring going into my front roll bars cut which is a lot. To add to this I received the phone call 30 minutes ago from the manager saying "catastrophic failure on motor and transmission". Warrentee will not cover it being water related. Rough day guys!

That is a tough pill to swallow. Since it was vandalized as well I would go the insurance rout to repair back to service condition.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sucks because we used insurance on a "fault" problem prior but don't feel this was I've gone through this type stuff before but we'll see I just want my pioneer back

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
With the engine speed up there is a lot of pull at the inlet. Did it stall right away? I'm surprised the Wolverine didn't get water in the intake but the intake is way back and up much higher. It can't hurt for your dealer to ask for some good will warranty even if its just the parts and they can show Honda the video. Honda can't get any better testing for water crossing at speed and it wouldn't take much of a mod for an improved location on future models. From the tube it could be routed up and way back over the 2nd battery location and facing to the rear. Good luck with the repair.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Instantly. That would be a better spotJust hoping things go through.

Reactions: joeymt33
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did a pressure test on mine yesterday. It would hold pressure as long as I wanted it too.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
How did you do a pressure test ? Plug off I take under hood

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Chocked it down. Found a pice of rubber sheet. Use that and placed over the intake tube under the hood. I was actually surprised how long it held.

Ok so you killed the engine with the rubber and left it hold a suction

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok so you killed the engine with the rubber and left it hold a suction
Yes. And it held for more then minuet before I removed it.
Figured that showed it was fully closed air track. If there's was a decent leak it would not have held long.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Should be able to handle deep water with a snorkel just fine. There is either an issue with the stock intake or damage somewhere.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I may I'm just super frustrated. I really want my machine back
CumminsPusher, I too would like to extend my condolenses for your loss. The time invested into making your Pioneer one of a kind is unmatched! I would just like to say that the loss of your Pioneer will not be in vain. I have, because of you, taken precautions to avoid a similar fate. I used Joeymt33's design and extended all vents. I know it doesn't bring your ride back to tell you this,but through your sharing you have saved countless others from a similar fate! For that I thank you!

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Subscribed. Hope Honda comes through for you.
Thank you
View attachment 16304
CumminsPusher, I too would like to extend my condolenses for your loss. The time invested into making your Pioneer one of a kind is unmatched! I would just like to say that the loss of your Pioneer will not be in vain. I have, because of you, taken precautions to avoid a similar fate. I used Joeymt33's design and extended all vents. I know it doesn't bring your ride back to tell you this,but through your sharing you have saved countless others from a similar faith! For that I thank you!
I really appreciate your kind words really! My biggest fear is this winds up being totaled and I start over in the middle of our ridding season. I built two of these in a years time I don't want to start a third in the middle of summer. We only have two months off time to get stuff done if I had to get a new rig now I'd quick wire a lightbar and winch but it's not the same for what we do. I do bring things up to hopefully save other people from mistakes like many others here and really hope it makes a difference I get more gratification that way sometimes then even doing things on my rig but anything I suggest I try my hardest to make sure it works well before I suggest it especially here I don't want trouble for others. And @joeymt33 and I have been talking a bit and I WILL be raising some lines and protecting from water entry for sure. In fact Joe has been kind enough to send me some extra items he had to help me with a snorkel I just got the unit coming as well even as the rig is in the shop so as soon as I'm in 4 wheels again I'm ready for the setup. Joes snorkel has been in my favorites for a bit now at least I'll be protected that way never really thought I needed it but am more then excited. Again thank you and everyone else here it helped me getting it out and hearing nice words. I guess everyone kind of knows what this can do to a guy. Again thank you!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV