CANCELED - The 2020 PIONEER TAKEOVER - A Honda SxS Club, Group Ride! April 24th & 25th, 2020!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think some of y’all forget that not everyone searches out the roughest hardest gnarliest trails. That some folks are happy just cruising around seeing the scenery. That not everyone wants to spend amounts of money on a SxS that would make a gambling addiction seem like a good idea.

You can take a bone stock Pioneer 1000 dang near anywhere in RRB/NewRiver/Sundquist/Windrock units that you aren’t afraid to point it and with careful skill come out with only a few scratches.

Other than a cab for comfort, a couple lights, a winch and a skid mine was that way for its first Takeover in 2017 and the Overland that year down Widowmaker and all over west of the interstate.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think some of y’all forget that not everyone searches out the roughest hardest gnarliest trails. That some folks are happy just cruising around seeing the scenery. That not everyone wants to spend amounts of money on a SxS that would make a gambling addiction seem like a good idea.

You can take a bone stock Pioneer 1000 dang near anywhere in RRB/NewRiver/Sundquist/Windrock units that you aren’t afraid to point it and with careful skill come out with only a few scratches.

Other than a cab for comfort, a couple lights, a winch and a skid mine was that way for its first Takeover in 2017 and the Overland that year down Widowmaker and all over west of the interstate.
I agree, not everyone needs to do all of the work we do. My outlook is mainly protecting my investment and having it built to tackle anything I want to do.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I have been to Takeover 4 times. The skids are a great idea, but not a necessity. It depends on how hard you ride! I would say a couple tie rods a hand held UHF/VHF radio and a few good sturdy winch points are a must the first time.
You should not be out with a group that doesn't have a couple winches, tire plugs,airtank and tools.
Dont get me wrong the 1/2" skids sure make those times you get high vented much more enjoyable.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree, not everyone needs to do all of the work we do. My outlook is mainly protecting my investment and having it built to tackle anything I want to do.
My main goal is to keep Max from flying out of the bed
IMG 20181008 141018469

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

And what planet are you from? HA! We get your drift and we agree! I like what trails are available and the capabilities of the riders, it's no fun to freak someone out and them never go riding again. My wife in point, every time we go riding, I have to start her off on the bunny slopes, even though she's been there before many times, day three she's good with all trails and quits her chirping. Drives me crazy! HA!

Last edited:
advertisement
K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I have been to Takeover 4 times. The skids are a great idea, but not a necessity. It depends on how hard you ride! I would say a couple tie rods a hand held UHF/VHF radio and a few good sturdy winch points are a must the first time.
You should not be out with a group that doesn't have a couple winches, tire plugs,airtank and tools.
Dont get me wrong the 1/2" skids sure make those times you get high vented much more enjoyable.

Great! Now I need to find a radio!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I laid mine on it's side with my black lab in the back. It was the 5 seater and the nets saved him.
Max has a chest harness and I have heavy duty bungee wrapped around roll cage in the center with a carabiner gives Him room to move around but His body will not clear the bed bungee gives a little for shock, We come close to rolling onto our side one time and the cord caught Him then He just looked at me like what the #%&$@ are you doing that was not normal,,,,,, Max was more forgiving than my Wife,,,

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

Ditto! & Well said. I live and ride all around the RRB area, been running a completely stock P1K5LE for 2 years and over 3000 miles. Even tires are stock, still haven't had a flat.

That said the OEM aluminum skids ( on LE model) took a bad beating and I did switch to FUTV 1/2" UHMW skids and A arm guards. They are worth the money. I would never recommend aluminum skids, only ran them because they were on machine by factory.

You don't need to spend a bunch of money, but roof , skids, tougher tires, and a winch can make a difference and are worth while investments.

J

JTW

So what's your thoughts of the hybrid aluminum with the uhmw attached will it provide some "cushion" of the impact on the aluminum? @JTW

If Ricochet had a full uhmw for the P1k5 I'd order it today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Nope... if your spending the money to do skids. Just do 1/2” uhmw and be done with it. What @ohanacreek @Tramguage1 and @JACKAL said is right on point. But if you’re spending the money to buy the skids, just do it right the first time. For those that are willing to risk not doing skids... you just have to be very very aware. I just think it’s a bad idea to do all the other bulls*** folks do before doing skids. Skids, tires and a winch and you can go about anywhere you want with little worry.

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.