P500 Bought Another P500

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks' futzin! I'm trying to decide on trying to "improve" the P5 more with something like what you have vs. trail width/speed or pull the trigger on being a "cool kid" according to the others here and pick up a Talon.

It's a hard decision, for 2 weeks ago at Twisted Trails Off Road Park - Sunday after the race, I was making a bunch of Jeeps look bad on the rock-crawling obstacle with the P5. But when I go riding with my ATV group- all the SXS are 1000cc and keep up with the quads. I'm usually 10 min behind in the P5.

KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 1476

KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks' futzin! I'm trying to decide on trying to "improve" the P5 more with something like what you have vs. trail width/speed or pull the trigger on being a "cool kid" according to the others here and pick up a Talon.

It's a hard decision, for 2 weeks ago at Twisted Trails Off Road Park - Sunday after the race, I was making a bunch of Jeeps look bad on the rock-crawling obstacle with the P5. But when I go riding with my ATV group- all the SXS are 1000cc and keep up with the quads. I'm usually 10 min behind in the P5.
I am right there with you..

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
After a solid three day ride at Windrock Park with a variety of buggies and drivers, my thoughts on the "Taloneer 500":

Mud:
Trails were wet and muddy for two days and dry with the usual puddles/holes for the third. Traveled faster (comfortably) than I normally would.
I got some splatter, but not terrible on any one day. It did build up on the buggy though.
Verdict: worth it

Ride quality:
Excellent. I have the Walker Evans (unimpressive customer service, btw) shocks set really soft, so I need to try them on firmer settings but I'm loving the cushy ride.

Handling:
Mixed. Lots of body roll, sloppy steering, not as well planted on side slicks as a regular P5. Still, fun to drive.
Verdict: not a deal breaker

Capability:
Excellent. More than I expected. Lots of flex. No more anxiety when approaching most obstacles (non black trails, haven't tried any yet).
I feel like it's roughly comparable to a P1K, narrower but with more flex. Lack of power to climb rocks, ledges factors in.
Much more capable than a P5 with spacers and stock a-arms.
Love the 60" width with flex on the TN trails.

Cost:
Expensive, by any measure. But, I'm weird: I don't care for the P7, and no desire at all for the Talon.
I love the sense of accomplishment from successfully wheeling a 'regular' P5, but I do often feel anxious on real trails.
A recent Talon reviewer mentioned basically no challenge on most obstacles.
That's about the last thing I want, personally. YMMV.

If this thing had 7-800 cc, it would be about perfect (for me).
Like any P5, it needs more power to climb, mount. It needs more power to make a reasonable pace on-road. For me, it goes plenty fast enough for trail riding; it now does it comfortably.

Until Honda offers a mid size (60-62") ICE trail machine (very likely never), I'll wheel this "T5".

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
If this thing had 1000 cc & a DCT transmission, it would be about perfect.
Like any P5, it needs more power to climb, mount. It needs more power to make a reasonable pace on-road. For me, it goes plenty fast enough for trail riding; it now does it comfortably.
Fixed that one little thing

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
So, the Taloneer 500 is down for the count. We'll see if it gets back up again, and if it can stay in the fight.

On a recent ride, one or two ball joints on the left front A-arms failed. Wasn't drivable and possibly got further damaged dragging it off the mountain (VERY grateful for those that helped me get it out!). The upper arm tabs are bent, twisted.

I knew this whole thing was a risk; not knowing if it would stand up to the TN mountains. I like to ride slow, and I'm careful about how I stress these machines so I don't think I've been particularly hard on it. The few guys I was able to reach that run (or have run) this setup had no issues with suspension.

A fantasmic forum member is going to straighten and reinforce the front tabs (sound familiar??), reassemble and align it (assuming nothing else is wonky). Then we'll start over and see how it goes.

advertisement