P1000m3 Better hunting buggie 700 or 1000

B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
Ok, I still have not decided what I want/need as far as a SxS. Have a ATV and used the crap out of it and still planning on keeping it. I have 2 kids (4 and 10) but really don't need a 4 or 5 passenger since we will have a kids 4 wheeler and a big 4 wheeler. I need something to haul 1500 pounds of corn into pretty rough areas and want something that can go more than 40 mph but not nessary. I really think the 1k3 is perfect but still a little afraid to spend that kind of money on something that some people describe as not really a "working machine". I kinda thought that is why they built this machine as a utility SxS. Also people described this as it does not like to go slow, which is what is need hauling lots of corn in rough terrain. Would the 700 be better for this? I would get a 700 in a heart beat if it had low range or the 500 tranny. I ask on this forum because I know a lot of you have had both the 700 and 1000.

Reactions: dotman1
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Opinions are like....well, never mind. Anyway, my opinion is get the P1000. I've owned both now and I use mine for hauling and other utility. It's also a great recreation vehicle. Right now I've got sacked corn in the bed as I try to keep the feeders full.

Here's some work pics of both doing there job.

P700 first
8e65116ea0686b293475f6e5a4e8cbd3

2c4b802b78f1cc41e893a9e18f0abb1b

496a8a0cf2df1190fa052f507263fd00

8d2904460760991e3c39809e849d13d1

P1000
8e6439e083f736bef46b906144ae202f

4ed6da8ae1631060330cd9d77a47d522

5302fc6cc9eb635df8d5f9f8c5350b19

11678b47b18c7e9388f67a2203adb556

B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
First I have to say thank you, both seems impressive. Have had any issues, or pulled a fairly big load up like a creek crossing? 2 things I worry about is not being able to get up a steep creek crossing (700) or damaging a tranny going slow up a steep hill (1k, have to slow because how rough it is). I do it with my Yamaha 4 wheeler but with about 700 pound I'm a small trailer. But is is pretty tough on it, but keeps doing it time after time.

Reactions: JTW and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is me with my P1K-5D. I had the bed loaded down with gear and was towing a meat trailer half filled with firewood and maxed out with gear. This machine is a mountain goat. Here's my advice for driving it. Keep up the RPM's and you wont have to worry about the clutches. Use manual shift. If you are working it, drive it like a tractor. If you are on surfaces where you can wind it out, drive it like a race car.

This video is still uploading to Youtube, so if it isn't available, try back later. Check out my other vids of things I've done with the machine. The snorkel test is a fun one... lol.

Reactions: solrus and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think the P1000 would be fine. It seems that people worry too much about it. I work it pretty hard and it keeps going. I don't abuse it though. I don't drive slower than 3mph unless I have to.

Honda should have your back if you smoke a clutch as long as you haven't put on monster tires or exceeding the weight capacity.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the P1000 would be fine. It seems that people worry too much about it. I work it pretty hard and it keeps going. I don't abuse it though. I don't drive slower than 3mph unless I have to.

Honda should have your back if you smoke a clutch as long as you haven't put on monster tires or exceeding the weight capacity.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!

Exactly. I don't abuse mine. I drive it and work it. It will do what you want it to if you drive it correctly. It's definitely not a blaster or a total sport machine. It's a workhorse that can give you some thrills and fun. Drive it accordingly, snorkel it, and for me, replace the front shocks. Then again, I'm told the 2017 should have Fox shocks, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Exactly. I don't abuse mine. I drive it and work it. It will do what you want it to if you drive it correctly. It's definitely not a blaster or a total sport machine. It's a workhorse that can give you some thrills and fun. Drive it accordingly, snorkel it, and for me, replace the front shocks. Then again, I'm told the 2017 should have Fox shocks, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I just hope those OEM foxes aren't too watered down!

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn't try to haul 1500 lbs of corn in rough terrain with a 700, but I'm sure others have. Rather have more power and not need it than need it and not have it.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just hope those OEM foxes aren't too watered down!
The Walker Evans on the front of mine are awesome. Hopefully Fox steps up and they don't make a version like the watered down 4-ply bighorns on the deluxe. I run mine around 18psi. Still working on some Roctanes or Blackwater EVOs in 8-ply.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ok, I still have not decided what I want/need as far as a SxS. Have a ATV and used the crap out of it and still planning on keeping it. I have 2 kids (4 and 10) but really don't need a 4 or 5 passenger since we will have a kids 4 wheeler and a big 4 wheeler. I need something to haul 1500 pounds of corn into pretty rough areas and want something that can go more than 40 mph but not nessary. I really think the 1k3 is perfect but still a little afraid to spend that kind of money on something that some people describe as not really a "working machine". I kinda thought that is why they built this machine as a utility SxS. Also people described this as it does not like to go slow, which is what is need hauling lots of corn in rough terrain. Would the 700 be better for this? I would get a 700 in a heart beat if it had low range or the 500 tranny. I ask on this forum because I know a lot of you have had both the 700 and 1000.
Get the 1000 pioneer but don't put more than 1000 lb in the back but you can pull 2000 in a trailer

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just came back from a elk hunting trip here in Idaho. The 700 worked faultlessly except for one thing, Not Enough Engine Breaking or Low Gearing. It can crawl and work all day, but if you ask it to come down some pretty steep hills it just can't do it very well. It tries to hold about 8 but eventually makes it to 11 or 12 or more. We had it loaded down with a cow elk and all our gear and came off a pretty steep hill. I applied the park break (advantage for the 700) to help slow me down, which worked very well. But when we got to the bottom of the decent the brake was as hot as a gangster pistol. I sure wish it had a lower gear or even a boat anchor I could through out.

B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
Just came back from a elk hunting trip here in Idaho. The 700 worked faultlessly except for one thing, Not Enough Engine Breaking or Low Gearing. It can crawl and work all day, but if you ask it to come down some pretty steep hills it just can't do it very well. It tries to hold about 8 but eventually makes it to 11 or 12 or more. We had it loaded down with a cow elk and all our gear and came off a pretty steep hill. I applied the park break (advantage for the 700) to help slow me down, which worked very well. But when we got to the bottom of the decent the brake was as hot as a gangster pistol. I sure wish it had a lower gear or even a boat anchor I could through out.

Thank you, I am sure the 700 will do 95% of the things I need it to do. I just want a little more if I am going to spend this kind of money. That is the main reason I don't have a SxS currently. Like I said before if the the 700 had a granny gear like the 500 does it would be a no brainer. I will wait till the 2017 p1k's come out and see if anything changes.

Again thank you all for the info, been on this site for a while now and there is great info being shared. Hope I can help someone else one day when I finally purchase a SxS.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
J

JTW

Thank you, I am sure the 700 will do 95% of the things I need it to do. I just want a little more if I am going to spend this kind of money. That is the main reason I don't have a SxS currently. Like I said before if the the 700 had a granny gear like the 500 does it would be a no brainer. I will wait till the 2017 p1k's come out and see if anything changes.

Again thank you all for the info, been on this site for a while now and there is great info being shared. Hope I can help someone else one day when I finally purchase a SxS.
That would be my advise and is exactly what I'm doing.. I think the 1000 with a couple changes will be the machine for me. However, I'm looking for more of a trail machine than work horse.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the same boat as you guys. I'm waiting to check out the 2017 1000 to see if there is anything special about them vs the 2016. Just like you said this machine has been great and has done everything I have asked of it. If it had lower gear and turf mode, I would quite dreaming about the 1000. I'm sure I'll keep this one because the couple of times I have need the lower gear hasn't justified the $5000 difference. I guess I can put alot of rear breaks on for that price.

Reactions: LandPioneer and JTW
J

JTW

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I'm waiting to check out the 2017 1000 to see if there is anything special about them vs the 2016. Just like you said this machine has been great and has done everything I have asked of it. If it had lower gear and turf mode, I would quite dreaming about the 1000. I'm sure I'll keep this one because the couple of times I have need the lower gear hasn't justified the $5000 difference. I guess I can put alot of rear breaks on for that price.
5k difference?? I was priced a 2016 deluxe 1000 for 15,500.. my 500 would have been 10k

Reactions: tjoreo
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The dealer I bought my 2015 700 from told me 17200 (MSRP) for the deluxe. He was kind enough to give me $7500 for a year old machine and $300 for about $1200 worth of Honda Accessories. Needless to say I probably won't buy from them. I was hoping maybe when the 2017 are announced they might be willing to deal..

J

JTW

The dealer I bought my 2015 700 from told me 17200 (MSRP) for the deluxe. He was kind enough to give me $7500 for a year old machine and $300 for about $1200 worth of Honda Accessories. Needless to say I probably won't buy from them. I was hoping maybe when the 2017 are announced they might be willing to deal..
Yikes!

Reactions: tjoreo
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I thought too. I guess my 700 will continue to do all I ask. Like I said I really think it is a great machine, just like the 500 and 1000. They all have their little things that if changed would make them the ultimate machine for their class size. My family and I sure have had some great adventures with it. Good luck @Bowtech32 on the decision and keep us all informed.

Reactions: JTW
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

What is your current ATV? Have you had any issues with it going slow on the hills?

The Pioneer 1000 has turf mode and lower gears (better engine braking) than the 700 as well as a higher top speed.

The Pioneer 1000 isn't a pure working machine. It is probably as close to the magic 50/50 mark as any I have researched. There are machines out there that are better workers (Defender, Kubota, Mule Pro FXT) and there are better trail machines (Wolverine, RZR, Maverick). The Pioneer 1000 beats the other Sport Utes though (Teryx, Commander).

You wouldn't want to drive up a steep long slope going 1-2 MPH under a load on the Pioneer. You probably shouldn't do that with the others either. When the wheels turn slow/don't move, the RPMs of the engine have to go somewhere. If the clutch is engaged when this happens, it has to slip. Do this too much and for too long and you won't have any friction material left. If you get the wheel RPM up to match the engine RPM via the transmission gear ratio, you shouldn't have a problem.

On all of them you will either burn up the clutch or the belt (which acts like a clutch) with the exception of the Pioneer 700 which has a fluid coupling.

That brings me back to my previous question. Unless you are running a Honda Rincon (the only other ATV out there that has a torque convertor) and you aren't burning up your belt or clutch now, you probably won't do so in a Pioneer 1000 unless you add larger wheels/tires and do a lot of mudding. Which will change your effective gear ratio and is much more likely to result in bound up tires and give you a burned out clutch.

Reactions: JTW
B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
What is your current ATV? Have you had any issues with it going slow on the hills?

The Pioneer 1000 has turf mode and lower gears (better engine braking) than the 700 as well as a higher top speed.

The Pioneer 1000 isn't a pure working machine. It is probably as close to the magic 50/50 mark as any I have researched. There are machines out there that are better workers (Defender, Kubota, Mule Pro FXT) and there are better trail machines (Wolverine, RZR, Maverick). The Pioneer 1000 beats the other Sport Utes though (Teryx, Commander).

You wouldn't want to drive up a steep long slope going 1-2 MPH under a load on the Pioneer. You probably shouldn't do that with the others either. When the wheels turn slow/don't move, the RPMs of the engine have to go somewhere. If the clutch is engaged when this happens, it has to slip. Do this too much and for too long and you won't have any friction material left. If you get the wheel RPM up to match the engine RPM via the transmission gear ratio, you shouldn't have a problem.

On all of them you will either burn up the clutch or the belt (which acts like a clutch) with the exception of the Pioneer 700 which has a fluid coupling.

That brings me back to my previous question. Unless you are running a Honda Rincon (the only other ATV out there that has a torque convertor) and you aren't burning up your belt or clutch now, you probably won't do so in a Pioneer 1000 unless you add larger wheels/tires and do a lot of mudding. Which will change your effective gear ratio and is much more likely to result in bound up tires and give you a burned out clutch.

This is what has me second guessing, which you are not the only person to point this out. But thinking what everyone is saying I think the 1k would work ok. I don't need a pure work machine since I will not be working it hard all the time, but will work it hard 10 to 12 times a year. The rest of the time will be light work, moving trailers picking up brush etc. also of course some just fun time running up and down country roads around my place.

I am currently using a Yamaha Grizzly 600 (old style 2001 model) which I have never had a belt or clutch issue. In fact the only thing I do to is is replace the battery ever 5 or 6 years, change oil and put gas into it. Never had a issue!!! I pull a small harbor frieght trailer 4'x4' and a 5' x 10' for brush. Pulled some small trees, some it just just would spin the tires and not go anywhere. So I am not easy with it but I don't abuse it either.

Hopefully I will keep whatever I get for 15 to 20 years like I do with everything else. So the cost difference is no as big of a deal compared to picking the right machine.

Thank you for your input

advertisement