Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Not anymore but I can tell the difference between good welds and those that don't measure up. I could probably handle the stuff you are using but I can't TIG soda cans.
Lol. Iā€™m using 1/4ā€ and 3/8ā€ thick aluminum. Iā€™m going to fab it up bolted together and probably find a good TIG welder to weld it up. Probably because Iā€™m undecided on that part. Many people say unlike steel, the aluminum welds could break as aluminum is more brittle than steelā€¦.šŸ¤”

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Lol. Iā€™m using 1/4ā€ and 3/8ā€ thick aluminum. Iā€™m going to fab it up bolted together and probably find a good TIG welder to weld it up. Probably because Iā€™m undecided on that part. Many people say unlike steel, the aluminum welds could break as aluminum is more brittle than steelā€¦.šŸ¤”
6061? Need to ask a REAL welder but I have problems with adequate penetration on 3/8" material and sometimes need to weld both sides. I built a little cabin for a boat ages ago and beat it around for 10 or 12 years. Structural was 1/4" and skin was 0.063 on the top and 0.025 on the sides...no problems except for the plexiglass windows cracked. If I was doing it again...I'd buy a different boat.

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
6061? Need to ask a REAL welder but I have problems with adequate penetration on 3/8" material and sometimes need to weld both sides. I built a little cabin for a boat ages ago and beat it around for 10 or 12 years. Structural was 1/4" and skin was 0.063 on the top and 0.025 on the sides...no problems except for the plexiglass windows cracked. If I was doing it again...I'd buy a different boat.
Funny you say that, if I could find one specā€™d as I need, Iā€™d buy oneā€¦..šŸ˜Š
Yes, itā€™s all 6061ā€¦.

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll have a cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate mal . . . BANG!
Exactly. Donā€™t take RVā€™s and trailers thru the drive thruā€™sā€¦.šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have an Aluma 6812H - it has a 3,000# axle with brake flanges. Was fairly cheap to add e-brakes.
I really like this set up and as mentioned above, at 690#, you can move it by hand. In Utah, you don't have to register trailers under 700#. Saves $120 a year over my last trailer.
For tie downs, I bolted D-ring mounts through the deck and secured to 6" square metal plates underneath.
The D-rings are about 3 feet apart and a foot in front of the tailgate. I use straps from the D-rings and around the rear suspension.
In front, I use one strap from the suspension and looped around the tongue.
I can't add pictures of the tie downs as the trailer is buried in 18" of snow. But here's my Teryx4 on the trailer.

View attachment 314101
How is your spare mounted? I bought the Alum version and donā€™t like it. No stop on the nuts and afraid to crack the wheel

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
How is your spare mounted? I bought the Alum version and donā€™t like it. No stop on the nuts and afraid to crack the wheel
Funny, when I was ordering my trailer I asked about upgrading to the aluminum wheels, looking for every pound I could save and the salesman talked me out of it for that, and he said it would be a larger diameter wheel than the steel and not make enough difference for the cost ā€¦???

• Wow
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll try to remember to follow up on this for a photo. My trailer's not here.
I used two, heavy aluminum square tubes (1.5" x 2") bolted through the trailer sidewall with four bolts, and then a standard black iron trailer spare mount facing forward which also uses four bolts.
The bolts through the trailer sidewall have heavy plate backers. I saw the aluma mount and decided to do something else. I've had to replace the trailer mount once in 6 years (about $20), but everything else is holding up.
I also chose to get a standard trailer spare. Bolt pattern and outer diameter match what's on the trailer.

Reactions: CID and Montecresto
advertisement