P1000 Air intake / Snorkel

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Why wouldn't one just eliminate the entire intake from behind the seat to the hood and just out a snorkel from the air box straight up behind the seat like the snorkels on Polaris Rangers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why wouldn't one just eliminate the entire intake from behind the seat to the hood and just out a snorkel from the air box straight up behind the seat like the snorkels on Polaris Rangers ?

That would be the obvious solution. Gotta admit I love the look of those ranger snorkels with the 3 pipes sticking out.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
There are some members who have done what you are describing. Some cut the panels in back of the seat to accomplish it and some use a more flexible hose. On my set up, the K&N isn't intended to replace factory filter but add an additional level of protection due to the environment I ride in. A lot of gravel roads connect multiple trails.
There is discussion on this forum about the quality and importance of the factory dry filter as compared to the oiled filters and the powerful suction of this beast. So whichever route you decide, do your homework! And...whatever you come up with please post and share photos.

Reactions: sharp
T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
But we don't need three stinking pipes! Lol
You should post a photo of your Snorkle for @taylorman

I don't have one. It was just a question out of curiosity more than anything.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
But we don't need three stinking pipes! Lol
You should post a photo of your Snorkle for @taylorman
If you mean mine I'm sure he's seen it. But here it is
IMG 20160823 130215772 HDR 800x450

Reactions: Eltobgi
T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Nice Delton. Did you eliminate all the ducting up front ?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When I had my P700, it had the snorkel in the middle of the vehicle and the filter got dusty quick. I think that is one benefit of having it up front, is to draw clean air.

This is my oem filter with 950 miles! Never washed, dusted, etc

51a4e54738f488744293cb727240ae1d

It's personal preference really, we have several options to suit your needs.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by Delton: You ain't riding the Bull without some type of collateral damage. Scratches, gouges, etc. But if you do happen to be the type that Armoralls your tires and waxes your panels, we have a nice stretch of blacktop you can raise hell on lmao

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice Delton. Did you eliminate all the ducting up front ?

Only piece I eliminated was the one that connects to air box and runs under passenger seat. Capped off the front one and left it alone. Can go back to stock in just a few minutes.

O

oldskoolbuckets

Aug 8, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If one were to vent all of the lines higher what would be the safe fording depth with the stock air intake? Currently I am scared to take my stock rig out in a brisk rain because of the Honda lack of support for these things if water gets involved. I don't plan on going into water any deeper than the floor boards and definitely not deep enough to bury the hood. Do I really need a snorkel or just to get the vent lines higher?

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If one were to vent all of the lines higher what would be the safe fording depth with the stock air intake? Currently I am scared to take my stock rig out in a brisk rain because of the Honda lack of support for these things if water gets involved. I don't plan on going into water any deeper than the floor boards and definitely not deep enough to bury the hood. Do I really need a snorkel or just to get the vent lines higher?

I think you need a snorkel. There have been too many hydro locked engines and close calls. Even if it's something simple under the hood just turned back toward the dash. In stock form, a quick splash in 10" of water can send water up high enough to get engulfed.

It's cheap insurance and a nice piece of mind when riding. Right now you are worried about it, just fix it and quit worrying.

I splash like this and never hesitate....
03fc9c31876e55b175a4d6f972d03238

SIGNATURE:

Quote by Delton: You ain't riding the Bull without some type of collateral damage. Scratches, gouges, etc. But if you do happen to be the type that Armoralls your tires and waxes your panels, we have a nice stretch of blacktop you can raise hell on lmao

Reactions: Delton and X4Dice
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed. Snorkel it or at least raise the intake level up under dash. Too much money at stake. Besides, there's no real downside to it. Do it and forget about it.

Reactions: JTW
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couple of scary thoughts went through my little mind, but water damage wasn't one of them lol
7901 800x448

Reactions: joeymt33
O

oldskoolbuckets

Aug 8, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That makes sense. I am obviously naive with this question but it seems that with the snorkel through the hood with a filter or scoop on it rain or those splashes could still get in there. I like the one that goes behind the passenger seat but I am concerned about noise. The set up that is just a pipe to the underside of the dash is clean and looks easy but I I were going through the effort I would want it to be guaranteed perfect. Too many options and decisions!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That makes sense. I am obviously naive with this question but it seems that with the snorkel through the hood with a filter or scoop on it rain or those splashes could still get in there. I like the one that goes behind the passenger seat but I am concerned about noise. The set up that is just a pipe to the underside of the dash is clean and looks easy but I I were going through the effort I would want it to be guaranteed perfect. Too many options and decisions!

You can tell from the pics that I don't have any water problems at all. The snorkel scoop faces backwards and water splashes over it but not inside it. Believe me, me and @Delton play in the river all the time and have fully tested these snorkels. They do make a little noise wether you have it on the inside or not.

I'll try to find a good vid.....

SIGNATURE:

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's a shot of it facing backwards.

73d8c9ba1b4b872ce7f4405d03a86c78

SIGNATURE:

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is an old video but it's short. There's more vids but you may not have been wanting to watch 5-10 minutes vids.

I'm worry free when splashing

The snorkel inside the cab will do just as good, please pic one and save that engine!

SIGNATURE:

tjmichael

tjmichael

Jul 29, 2016
hernando ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Delton. What did you use to cap off the intake?. Also where is the parking brake adjuster box located?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Delton. What did you use to cap off the intake?. Also where is the parking brake adjuster box located?
I used a rubber cap I got at Lowe's. Can't remember the size offhand. It even came with a hose clamp. In plumbing section

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is an old video but it's short. There's more vids but you may not have been wanting to watch 5-10 minutes vids.

I'm worry free when splashing

The snorkel inside the cab will do just as good, please pic one and save that engine!

SIGNATURE:

Neither are loud in my opinion. I can easily hear my bilge blower over it

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement