"We got em again bois!"

Cde373fc50299f8b7ff39b4f1ef019cb

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well after 2 years and 4 months with 4600 miles on the RMAX, the engine started making BAAAAD noises. Did a compression check and left cyl was at 80 psi and right cyl at 40 psi. they are supposed to be at 115 psi. Decided to let dealer look into it since I haven't rebuilt a Honda engine since 1989 when I stopped racing ATV's (much simpler times). Anyhoo got call from the shop to come see the issues. Right rod bearing was coming apart debris in oils screen, etc. cylinder scored slightly, cam showed odd wear, if I went with their recommendations repair bill would be about $9,300 🥲

I talked with mechanic who said he has rebuilt about 9 of these exact engines all from being (ab)used as rentals at Windrock Park, all were rebuilt with approx. 3K miles on them. He said other than the internal damage he noted how clean my entire CVT system was stating no sign of wear which he was surprised for the miles I had on the machine. I asked about nFlow remanufactured engines out of Evansville, IN and they have used them before with good results.

nFlow will remanufacture the RMAX engine for $3995 shipping both ways, 3 week turn around time, and included and a 6 month engine warranty. Decided to go that route and save $4K.

Once I get this Yamaha machine back up and running going to swap it for a 2024 / 25 Talon 1000X-4 with the Showa shocks :cool:

Hate spending this money but in the end will get away from the darn CVT which didn't cause me any issues beyond the damn engine RPM noise :D

View attachment 443871
holy china like throw away sxs, that sucks, less than a buck a mile....good luck turning the engine around

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Probably what the Yami dealer said too...........😬 Too soon?
Not too soon, only thing hurt is my wallet. Not digging on the Yammy, anything mechanical can break, just happened to be my turn. I've had a good run with machines holding up without mechanical issues that weren't operator inflicted so after 35 years it was my turn in the barrel. I did like the ride and handling but the engine noise with windshield front and rear coupled with the roof was not pleasant for me the 5000 rpm drone of the engine at trail speeds gave me headaches on reallylong rides.

Anyway off to quieter rides and the pleasant clicks of a DCT transmission.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Me sell you anything you want."

"Me love you long time"
All bulls*** and internet myth aside. SuperATV makes decent parts. Their bushings leave a bit to be desired but coming from a guy than bent 2 of their a-arms and made 1 email and got both replaced, their customer service is awesome. I'm still torn on radius rods for the Talon. That SuperATV 25% off coupon always helps