Calendar **2019** Taylor Lake Colorado Group Ride [Sep 6, 2019] (CO)

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
The wife and myself will arrive in Lake City Monday Sept. 2. I guess we will ride up to Highlander RV park some time Tuesday to discuss the Alpine Loop ride Wednesday. Our cabin is just 6/10 mile south of Highlander RV Park on Lake San Cristobal. See ya'll soon !

Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
Some suggestions if you’re attending the Taylor Park group ride (TPGR).

Closest towns of any size as you’re approaching TPGR are going to be Crested Butte to the west, Gunnison to the southwest, Salida to the southeast and Buena Vista due east over Cottonwood Pass. Note that as of right now trailers aren’t being allowed over Cottonwood Pass. No matter what route you take, load up on supplies at these larger towns along your way.

If you have FRS/GRMP portable radios bring them along. Makes coordinating /communication on group rides much easier. Plumber32 provided a handy list of channels in his post. https://hondasxs.com/attachments/147377/

Grocery stores in Colorado now sell full strength beer but you have to stop at an actual liquor store for wine or hard liquor.

Yes, Colorado now allows for legal recreational marijuana. But remember that the stuff being sold is much more potent than the “weed” from your youth. A big pitfall for many visitors is the edibles. They take longer to kick in so folks may be tempted to take another bite before feeling the effects.

The high altitude can and will affect you if you’re not used to it. Go slow and watch out for the effects. You may feel like they can't breathe, struggle to catch your breath or experience a rapid heart rate as the heart beats faster to attempt to supply the brain with blood. The effects of alcohol are also increased at altitude.

Drink plenty of water and use sun screen. The low humidity fools folks into thinking they’re not sweating so they don’t drink as much water as needed. And the high altitude means less atmospheric shielding from UV rays

Want to experience spring, summer, fall and winter all in one day? Come to the high country of Colorado! The low humidity means the air temp shoots up fast during the day and drops like a rock at night. For example, at my house today we’re going to have a 39 degree temperature swing from a low of 52 to a high of 91. Bring clothes you can wear in layers.

Be prepared for the unexpected. A few weeks ago several folks were stranded overnight on the alpine loop when rains caused multiple mud slides to block the road. Something as simple as a foil “space blanket” may be a life saver in a case like that.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Closest towns of any size as you’re approaching TPGR are going to be Crested Butte to the west, Gunnison to the southwest, Salida to the southeast and Buena Vista due east over Cottonwood Pass. Note that as of right now trailers aren’t being allowed over Cottonwood Pass. No matter what route you take, load up on supplies at these larger towns along your way.

If you have FRS/GRMP portable radios bring them along. Makes coordinating /communication on group rides much easier. Plumber32 provided a handy list of channels in his post. https://hondasxs.com/attachments/147377/

Grocery stores in Colorado now sell full strength beer but you have to stop at an actual liquor store for wine or hard liquor.

Yes, Colorado now allows for legal recreational marijuana. But remember that the stuff being sold is much more potent than the “weed” from your youth. A big pitfall for many visitors is the edibles. They take longer to kick in so folks may be tempted to take another bite before feeling the effects.

The high altitude can and will affect you if you’re not used to it. Go slow and watch out for the effects. You may feel like they can't breathe, struggle to catch your breath or experience a rapid heart rate as the heart beats faster to attempt to supply the brain with blood. The effects of alcohol are also increased at altitude.

Drink plenty of water and use sun screen. The low humidity fools folks into thinking they’re not sweating so they don’t drink as much water as needed. And the high altitude means less atmospheric shielding from UV rays

Want to experience spring, summer, fall and winter all in one day? Come to the high country of Colorado! The low humidity means the air temp shoots up fast during the day and drops like a rock at night. For example, at my house today we’re going to have a 39 degree temperature swing from a low of 52 to a high of 91. Bring clothes you can wear in layers.

Be prepared for the unexpected. A few weeks ago several folks were stranded overnight on the alpine loop when rains caused multiple mud slides to block the road. Something as simple as a foil “space blanket” may be a life saver in a case like that.

My rig is stored in Buena Vista at the moment.....I am not expecting you to be responsible for my actions.... but the cottonwood pass situation causes me a hundred mile or more diversion....
Do you have an opinion about how it is being monitored?.?
My current thought is that I will just go over after dark or at 5 am.... I am assuming road crews are the ones that would be monitoring vehicles pulling trailers..?
Any thoughts??

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV

Thank you sir for all the helpful info. I for one live at an elevation of 700'. I'm striving to make this a very uneventful ride.
Its everyones responsibility to watch out for there trail buddy's.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can ride ATV and SXS on all back roads here in lake city. You can Only Ride on the main drag (149) south of Second st. You are allowed to cross 149 st all intersections. DO NOT RIDE YOUR MACHINE NORTH OF 2ND ST ON 149, YOU WILL GET A TICKET!

So far I’ve seen a saloon and the Lake City Brewing Co. For those of you interested in the legal weed thing, I haven’t seen a dispensary here yet.

There is a small grocery store at the north end of town across from the Popo dealer. You can go the back way then cut across the front of the Popo dealer’s front lot then cut across 149 to go to the grocery store . Stock up before you get here. The store has a decent sized selection of goods and a small deli, but the prices are fairly high. $18+ for a bag of Old Trappers beef jerky, which is normally $10 everywhere else.

I’ve not yet checked gas prices but I’m sure they are high so bring enough fuel with you.

There are a few Cafes and one nicer restaurant here as well. There is also a small medical center here but not sure of their capabilities.

The Loop is open all the way around. No closings as of this moment.
1747D5B8 9FC7 4340 8C24 8DC91C77F969
E1D1BB77 1146 4EEE AF09 CB6BCB73125C
1BFFB961 890C 4FD7 BD52 0F15B8374D57
580AEDCD 077F 4B73 AEC0 A1CEF9B772AA
88950CDB E15B 4B5C A3E1 B24DEA2FB6F4
C0DA15D4 289E 422C 9E29 4BC5E690AA2C

Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
My rig is stored in Buena Vista at the moment.....I am not expecting you to be responsible for my actions.... but the cottonwood pass situation causes me a hundred mile or more diversion....
Do you have an opinion about how it is being monitored?.?
My current thought is that I will just go over after dark or at 5 am.... I am assuming road crews are the ones that would be monitoring vehicles pulling trailers..?
Any thoughts??

Good question. Here's what I found on line:
Gunnison County is prohibiting any towed vehicles, including trailers, boats, OHVs, campers, etc. Vehicles over 36 feet in length and/or over 8.5 feet in width are also prohibited. These restrictions are in place on the west side on the pass until further notice due to construction operations. Construction operations are occurring 7 days a week. The public can expect 30 minute delays."

So would they be working after 5PM? Probably not. Would police be patrolling this stretch frequently? Probably not. Would you get a ticket if they caught you. Maybe. But then again the police have to have some understanding that the prohibition is for the safety of the workers AND it's long way around. So I'd probably give it a chance but it is a roll of the dice.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also it is dusty here with no rain in the forecast so bring your HondaSXS TUBE bandanas. If ye ain’t got one? Order some from the forum store or have @Hondasxs bring you some. They’re only $4 each.
CFC6F8AE AE07 495D 963B C2462BE1622A

advertisement
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good question. Here's what I found on line:
Gunnison County is prohibiting any towed vehicles, including trailers, boats, OHVs, campers, etc. Vehicles over 36 feet in length and/or over 8.5 feet in width are also prohibited. These restrictions are in place on the west side on the pass until further notice due to construction operations. Construction operations are occurring 7 days a week. The public can expect 30 minute delays."

So would they be working after 5PM? Probably not. Would police be patrolling this stretch frequently? Probably not. Would you get a ticket if they caught you. Maybe. But then again the police have to have some understanding that the prohibition is for the safety of the workers AND it's long way around. So I'd probably give it a chance but it is a roll of the dice.
I have a 300 dollar “escrow account” to cover all of the things that occur weekly that I don’t get caught at.... if you have ever followed @BigRed7769 or some of the other Ozark wildmen..... you would know a ticket for some random act is right around the corner at any time.....
I will probably just go at four in the am. And take my chances..... old men usually get a pass for early dementia.... or something to that effect

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can ride ATV and SXS on all back roads here in lake city. You can Only Ride on the main drag (149) south of Second st. You are allowed to cross 149 st all intersections. DO NOT RIDE YOUR MACHINE NORTH OF 2ND ST ON 149, YOU WILL GET A TICKET!

So far I’ve seen a saloon and the Lake City Brewing Co. For those of you interested in the legal weed thing, I haven’t seen a dispensary here yet.

There is a small grocery store at the north end of town across from the Popo dealer. You can go the back way then cut across the front of the Popo dealer’s front lot then cut across 149 to go to the grocery store . Stock up before you get here. The store has a decent sized selection of goods and a small deli, but the prices are fairly high. $18+ for a bag of Old Trappers beef jerky, which is normally $10 everywhere else.

I’ve not yet checked gas prices but I’m sure they are high so bring enough fuel with you.

There are a few Cafes and one nicer restaurant here as well. There is also a small medical center here but not sure of their capabilities.

The Loop is open all the way around. No closings as of this moment.
View attachment 150441 View attachment 150442 View attachment 150443 View attachment 150444 View attachment 150445 View attachment 150446

I have not yet figured out how anybody who rides 30k SxS and burns hundred dollar bills could be opposed to paying a extra half buck per gallon for gas.... not dogging you @100Acre .... I have seen several people mention it.... if there is a bigger tightwad than me I haven’t met them.....but I am always glad to support local stores and stations....
If we get our dreams... half of us may be buying a small store at the lake or in the woods someday.... so I say support em.... it may be me tomorrow.....

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will anyone be carrying a spare tire? I wonder about the trail/ road conditions of all the many passes.
I will be carrying one.... been thinking about maybe two.... but @Tramguage1 carries everything but a high speed wheelbalancer with him.... he may have one of those by now...

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I will be carrying one.... been thinking about maybe two.... but @Tramguage1 carries everything but a high speed wheelbalancer with him.... he may have one of those by now...
LOL!!!!! No balancer yet!!!!! Wonder if Amazon can deliver before we leave!!!!
But yet I will also have a spare,(28"), Co2 bottle, plugs and lug wrench.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Tramguage1 ..... are you bringing your pellet cooker?? About the only thing I figure I can come up with for Italian night is a bunch of sausages..... don’t think I could keep anything else frozen long enough.....
I will be happy to chip in if somebody else has a freezer or some way to keep lasagna etc.....
If nothing else I will bring four bottles of wine and some Peroni and Stella ....

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
@Tramguage1 ..... are you bringing your pellet cooker?? About the only thing I figure I can come up with for Italian night is a bunch of sausages..... don’t think I could keep anything else frozen long enough.....
I will be happy to chip in if somebody else has a freezer or some way to keep lasagna etc.....
If nothing else I will bring four bottles of wine and some Peroni and Stella ....
Yes sir
I'm bringing my large one from the back porch. So we will have plenty room. We can take care of whatever you bring.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also it is dusty here with no rain in the forecast so bring your HondaSXS TUBE bandanas. If ye ain’t got one? Order some from the forum store or have @Hondasxs bring you some. They’re only $4 each.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes sir
I'm bringing my large one from the back porch. So we will have plenty room. We can take care of whatever you bring.
Trinidad and Walsenburg are both on my way.... used to be big Italian community... coal mines .. etc...
I will stop and get some Italian sausages....they are awesome...

advertisement