Calendar **2019** Taylor Lake Colorado Group Ride [Sep 6, 2019] (CO)

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
@Tramguage1 what's the fuel situation there?
Im brining all 3 of my fuel cans. I see on the maps that there are places to buy fuel. not sure of the cost. The website says they sell gasoline.
Ill ask around FB about fuel locations.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
Just talked to a guy that just got back from there. He said the trading post had fuel. He said Pitkin had fuel and snacks at descent prices. He did mention the trading post had a small store that was a little pricey. Suggested we get groceries and snacks before we got there.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just talked to a guy that just got back from there. He said the trading post had fuel. He said Pitkin had fuel and snacks at descent prices. He did mention the trading post had a small store that was a little pricey. Suggested we get groceries and snacks before we got there.
I’m bringing four NATO cans, groceries too for sure.

advertisement
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am just catching up on some of the topics on this thread.....
The Idaho crew that is concerned about not riding dusty roads.... I have found with my limited experience that there is still no place like Colorado because of the riding above timberline.... big exposures and big views... however most are old Jeep roads .... plenty rough with a few challenging off camber situations... but not a trials challenge like Moab.... and definitely not a place where bushwhacking or trail cutting is allowed.....
There are a few of the passes like Cumberland that can be done in an auto....
But..... I am not the guy who knows where the aggressive stuff is.... I have friends who ride motorcycles in the area and get all they want.....
I still think Colorado is unique in its vastness.... but Idaho is still on my bucket list....

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another comment on overheating.....
I was up last week and was surprised how easily it happens...temps were cool... doesn’t really matter... some long uphill grinds.... not sure fan is solution unless shroud is improved....
I started carrying a one liter bottle with a small hole drilled in cap..... just a shot or two on radiator brings temp down.....when fan is running..
Any body think this is bad idea..??. I am aware of not putting cold water in a radiator etc.... but this seems like an easy solution.....
I have been thinking about installing windshield washer pump and reservoir and just giving it a shot when it is overheating....
Bad idea???

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was up last week and was surprised how easily it happens...temps were cool... doesn’t really matter... some long uphill grinds.... not sure fan is solution unless shroud is improved....
I started carrying a one liter bottle with a small hole drilled in cap..... just a shot or two on radiator brings temp down.....when fan is running..
Any body think this is bad idea..??. I am aware of not putting cold water in a radiator etc.... but this seems like an easy solution.....
I have been thinking about installing windshield washer pump and reservoir and just giving it a shot when it is overheating....
Bad idea???
We spray our radiators with water in Tennessee when they get hot and clogged with dust and mud all the time...

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
May not want to overload your machines with all kinds of tools and stuff to lighten the loads too...

Reactions: TimG and Plumber32
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Just a little reading on riding at high elevations, apparently running at 12,000 ft in low make these pioneers overheat rather easily. Make sure your radiator is extra clean and keep an eye on your thermostat while were up high. I'm going to fart around and see if I cant fix the radiator shroud. So it actually pulls air through the rad.
I wouldn't be too concerned about overheating, you will be at Taylor Park in September at altitude so it won't be very warm. You will see what I mean when you have to turn on the furnace in your RV's at night.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Pilgrim my question may have been asked wrong or misconstrued a little. We would all be coming in with families along so not necessarily looking for death defying runs but we’re hoping a few really good sections and trails are involved not all dirt roads. The guys coming with me definitely love a challenge. Scenery looks beautiful so I’d love to catch some especially way up like I’ve seen pics of.
It’s a lot less dusty in trails too so that’s a bonus. And I know most areas don’t appreciate bushwhacking so that’s to be respected I assure you. Just wanna have a good time and meet some new people and old friends. Would like to get in a few good sections and tough terrain along the way, something to make the ol ticker bump a little lol.
@Plumber32 showed me a couple good pics and from what I’ve seen it does look like a couple pretty good trails but I don’t know about restrictions out that way. I’m excited if we can make it and see someone else’s woods;)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Bad idea???
Sounds pretty smart to me!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Bad idea???
That’s a good idea. Cooling rad like that would be no big deal! It won’t cool off water quick enough to be an issue.

Reactions: TimG and Plumber32
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Btw what’s the laws with kids driving here?

Reactions: BWAF and TimG
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Btw what’s the laws with kids driving here?
Minimum Age Requirement: To ride an ATV unsupervised, the operator must be at least 16 years old unless riding on land owned by the operator's parent or legal guardian. Helmet and/or Eye Protection Requirement: Riders under age 18 are required to wear an approved helmet.

advertisement