P1000 2017 Radiator Air Deflector

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Theres only one bad thing about all these heat fixes....winter is coming!
Dont know about you but i thoroughly enjoy the heat in the winter. All of my heat fixes are easily reversible. Something to consider before making it permanent . Just my 2 cents.

Last winter I found a lot of cold air comes through the dash at higher speeds. Not bad going slow and crawling around but cools off quick going faster speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cannot use both. I think the tape will do. Degrease both surfaces first.

Do you think there would be any merit in cutting a couple slots in the plastic and using hose clamps to hold it on??

Reactions: joeymt33
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Last winter I found a lot of cold air comes through the dash at higher speeds. Not bad going slow and crawling around but cools off quick going faster speeds.
Yes what he said. That's very true. I too thought with the cold temps up here I could shut off the fan and the heat through the dash would keep me warm while going to my gun blind in the morning! Ha...no sir, it cuts threw like I have the fan on in the summer and Luke warm air threw the shifter.

Reactions: Hawk53
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sorry, that didn't seem to post what I put. In the cold months up here, I thought the heat would be enough to keep me warm. The cold air coming threw the shifters is very like warm and the seat dosnt get hardly warm at all. It's actually what everyone wants this machine to feel like in the summer. So putting this fix on won't really matter in the winter up here. Only for the summer.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
IMG 5282
IMG 5283
IMG 5284
Ok, for all you guys that have a s*** ton of wires running under your machine and it's difficult to remove the plastic to drill your holes. I think I made the solution. Tried heavy 3M sticky tape and that dosnt hold good thought @elkaholic never know till you try right? It's best to remove the shock on the drivers side, just tank that bugger out of there for much better access or you will say things that will make a sailor blush with shame! The remedy! some good quality zip ties around the frame bracket and threw the holes. Pull them as tight as you can and wala ! She holds real good. This should work do to the fact I have a lot of these under here for wires that have ben threw the ringer and no issues.

Reactions: GlockMeister
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 52660 View attachment 52661 View attachment 52662 Ok, for all you guys that have a s*** ton of wires running under your machine and it's difficult to remove the plastic to drill your holes. I think I made the solution. Tried heavy 3M sticky tape and that dosnt hold good thought @elkaholic never know till you try right? It's best to remove the shock on the drivers side, just tank that bugger out of there for much better access or you will say things that will make a sailor blush with shame! The remedy! some good quality zip ties around the frame bracket and threw the holes. Pull them as tight as you can and wala ! She holds real good. This should work do to the fact I have a lot of these under here for wires that have ben threw the ringer and no issues.

Thank you for this. I've had one of these heat shields since they first became available for purchase but I haven't installed it yet because of the difficulty with so many wires.

I will try this and see if it is much easier. Also, some hardware stores sell stainless steel zip ties!

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you for this. I've had one of these heat shields since they first became available for purchase but I haven't installed it yet because of the difficulty with so many wires.

I will try this and see if it is much easier. Also, some hardware stores sell stainless steel zip ties!

SS zip ties?!?!?!

Have I died and gone to Heaven?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

You're welcome. I would just try a good quality zip tie. The kind that I get obviously are HVAC style probably UV protectant and Lord knows what else. Steel sounds good but the only problem would be getting them tight and to bend and still being able to get them tight. It's already a fairly tight squeeze and going around the square Frame stock then pulling it tight around the plastic I don't think it would quite be the same. Just my thoughts and experience with metal ties on stuff that are tight and irregular.

Reactions: joeymt33
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry, that didn't seem to post what I put. In the cold months up here, I thought the heat would be enough to keep me warm. The cold air coming threw the shifters is very like warm and the seat dosnt get hardly warm at all. It's actually what everyone wants this machine to feel like in the summer. So putting this fix on won't really matter in the winter up here. Only for the summer.

It may help somewhat in the winter if it redirects the air flow from the shifters and steering column. Heater may be more efficient then.

advertisement
K

KerXR75

May 21, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
Sorry, I should have mentioned our PK5 is a 2016, built 10/16 according to the ID sticker.

As for comments that my participation in this thread is "the problem", I'm baffled at your point of view, but to each is own.

These are the facts as I SEE THEM.

1.) Big corporations, including Honda are NOT OUR FRIENDS. They are here to take your money and give you something in return. The perceived value of both are subjective to the provider of each.

2.) Some have stated they believe there was little field testing of the PK5. I think there was EXTENSIVE testing and the PK5 is right where they wanted it when it was initially released...heat, gearing, clutches etc. It was a calculated corporate gamble based on profit dollars vs owner backlash and warranty repairs. This does allow Honda to make significant model year updates. Honda could care less if you're HOT...

3.) Perhaps you misunderstood my point. I never said the diverter mentioned was not a good or effective addition...quite the contrary, and I hope Honda includes the diverter in the BIG HEAT FIX we are all patiently waiting for...which I might add has been dragging on for months.

I could go on but I'll assume you get my point of view...and brand loyalty is essentially ignorance in the world we live in today. Big business is happy taking your money but they sure put on the brakes when you need something back from them. Witness the fact how happy we are when defective clutches are replaced under warranty...regardless of how many hoops one had to jump through to get it done.

One last thought to ponder is the old saying..."Follow the money" Just say'n...
Well said. S#!% happens. As well we live in a liticious world. whether you are a small Co. or large corporation they must be careful what they accept as an "issue". We have the free ride, I'm gonna call my lawyer group out there that scare companies from taking action. It's a sad but true issue and this its what keeps many companies from " stepping up". Besides labor cost its the legal world that has moved manufacturing out of this country. 34 years in business gives me a perspective of the other side. As a small company I pay 119k a year to protect myself from the buzzards!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This deflector works well to block the hot air being pushed in through the shifter holes from the cooling fan. My machine did not have the pre-drilled holes so I kept it simple and used 3m outdoor adhesive tape. the installation was easy and seems to be well secured. I have faith in the 3m tape as I have used it in the past on various projects with great results that lasted. Take the time to clean the surfaces that the tape will contact with rubbing alcohol and have someone hold the flashlight while you position the part. Took about 15 minutes total time. You can remove the shock on the drivers side and the radiator overflow bottle for more room if you feel like you need to but I did it without doing that.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This deflector works well to block the hot air being pushed in through the shifter holes from the cooling fan. My machine did not have the pre-drilled holes so I kept it simple and used 3m outdoor adhesive tape. the installation was easy and seems to be well secured. I have faith in the 3m tape as I have used it in the past on various projects with great results that lasted. Take the time to clean the surfaces that the tape will contact with rubbing alcohol and have someone hold the flashlight while you position the part. Took about 15 minutes total time. You can remove the shock on the drivers side and the radiator overflow bottle for more room if you feel like you need to but I did it without doing that.

Glad you could make it work.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Let us know after riding a bit how that 3M tape works. I to tried it and cleaned the surface very well with alcohol. I've use the tape many times on other things and it worked well. Just seemed a bit flimsy with all that extra plastic hanging down and the added wind and turbulence plus the fan, water and also washing would make it eventually come off. I could be wrong but my mind was visualizing it happening lol. I truly hope it works for you.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Time will tell. Nothing is forever but if I get a year out of it and have to spend another 15 minutes putting new tape on there it won't hurt my feelings. It will still beat the heck out of tearing the front end of the rig apart.

Reactions: Remington
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I figured I would give an update. My late '16 model has the holes in the frame and I successfully installed the deflector without having to remove the whole front end plastic. It was not without a lot of language that would make a sailor blush, however.

The plastic rivet on the "passenger" side cannot be installed in the correct front to rear orientation with the Tupperware in place, it has to be installed backwards which makes that side a little loose

Well, aren't you a little lose anyway?:)

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Update! Went on a ride at our camp last weekend and noticed at least 1/2 the heat not coming threw the dash. I think it worked very effectively and any air coming threw was very lukewarm air. Much better and tolerable. The wife was happy so I'm happy. One more thing checked off the list! Oh and for the record, the plastic zip ties held perfectly and did not come loose or break after power washing.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update! Went on a ride at our camp last weekend and noticed at least 1/2 the heat not coming threw the dash. I think it worked very effectively and any air coming threw was very lukewarm air. Much better and tolerable. The wife was happy so I'm happy. One more thing checked off the list! Oh and for the record, the plastic zip ties held perfectly and did not come loose or break after power washing.

Glad it worked out for you !

Reactions: Hawk53
D

dewitt

Jul 3, 2017
Hattiesburg, Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did it reduce how hot the dash itself got after riding

Reactions: AZhunter
advertisement