P1000 2017 P1000 winch pre-wire

riverat1540

riverat1540

Apr 28, 2017
Algonquin, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm going to go with the factory plow. I like the adjustability over the KFI. Just ordered the factory winch and install kit. I was offered what I think to be a good deal on the set so I pulled the trigger. I have until winter to save up for the plow setup

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know what the OEM winch ground wire size is? I'll be running my own on my '16 P1000M5, and ordered 4AWG, but I'm worried it might need 2AWG.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

4 is fine.. that’s what I used and no issues. Factory is actually smaller. I belive a 6.

Reactions: MC_Crowbar
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4 is fine.. that’s what I used and no issues. Factory is actually smaller. I belive a 6.

FWIW a good set of 2ga jumper cables is cheaper to convert to winch cable with solder and lugs, than buying 4ga wire.

Just a thought.

Reactions: MC_Crowbar and JTW
B

Bones

Dec 10, 2017
Bourbon Mo.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just talked with a tech at Superwinch. He said that the ground lead that is pre-wired in the 2017 P1000 is the ground to use instead of grounding to the battery. Thanks again to all who posted replies.

Jerry.
Hooking up a winch myself and wondered about the "pre-wired" deal. I assume you mean hook the pre-wired Honda ground to the negative post on the contactor. Right?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I assumed that the extra ground wire taped off under the hood was to install a second battery.

J

JTW

Thanks. When they said 17 and up was "pre-wired" for a winch I envisioned more than one wire. Appreciate your help.
Lol.. yeah, but considering you only need 2 wires for a winch they did half your wiring for you! :rolleyes:

advertisement
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
No, Winch..
I can't think of any reason I couldn't use that wire to connect the ground to my second battery. Is there any reason not to? My winch is an Axon with the contactor built in, so I'm just going to run those wires directly to the terminals of the second battery.

J

JTW

I can't think of any reason I couldn't use that wire to connect the ground to my second battery. Is there any reason not to? My winch is an Axon with the contactor built in, so I'm just going to run those wires directly to the terminals of the second battery.
You could. But I would run a second ground from the frame or someplace under the hood. You can’t have too much ground and I personally think the winch ground is on the small side.

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
You could. But I would run a second ground from the frame or someplace under the hood. You can’t have too much ground and I personally think the winch ground is on the small side.

Once i dig into this I'll think more. If that ground wire is 5' long I'll probably run a shorter one. Keeping the wires as short as possible is my goal on the winch wires. The winch came with 6 gauge wires, so Warn thinks that's enough for a 5500 pound winch. I will be able to shorten them quite a bit too. And the contactor is built in, so less wiring there. I may cut the terminal off the factory winch ground wire and combine that with an additional short ground and bolt it to the terminal of the second battery. Plus run dedicated power and ground directly from the winch to the second battery.

J

JTW

Once i dig into this I'll think more. If that ground wire is 5' long I'll probably run a shorter one. Keeping the wires as short as possible is my goal on the winch wires. The winch came with 6 gauge wires, so Warn thinks that's enough for a 5500 pound winch. I will be able to shorten them quite a bit too. And the contactor is built in, so less wiring there. I may cut the terminal off the factory winch ground wire and combine that with an additional short ground and bolt it to the terminal of the second battery. Plus run dedicated power and ground directly from the winch to the second battery.
It’s enough for a winch.. but if you’re using it for a second battery. Then you’re adding lights, winch, stereo and a host of other things.

Reactions: Landman