P1000 2017 P1000 winch pre-wire

J

JAM

Mar 26, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Big Red
New to site and have new 2017 P1000 EPS. 2017s are pre-wired for a winch but I can't find any info on what is wired and where are the wires. There is a black what looks like a #6 wire loose and taped off by the battery but that's all I can find. Nothing in the owners manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a Superwinch Terra 45 coming next week.

Jerry.

Reactions: Jshell3 and sharp
J

JAM

Mar 26, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Big Red
Thank you for your response. I understand that the black wire is the negative lead but there has to be some kind of wiring diagram or discription of the pre-wiring somewhere. I was hoping someone onsite that has installed a winch on a 2017 P1000 would have some info. Once again I thank you very much for your reply.

Jerry.

Reactions: dotman1 and Jshell3
J

Jshell3

I've got a 2017.
I understand winch is prewired, It cuts down on labor charge at dealership, but where are the wires?!? Right?

I'll follow this thread. Thanks for posting. I want to self install the same winch, too.

Good question

J

Jpred1

Mar 25, 2017
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure someone will chime in but the way I understand it is the ground that is supposed to go to the engine mount for the winch. Dealer says takes 4 hrs to run that ground that is already ran on the 17s. Last winch I did was grounded to frame on front end. So , just hook everything else up as usual and use the pre ran ground.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

JAM

Mar 26, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Big Red
I'm sure someone will chime in but the way I understand it is the ground that is supposed to go to the engine mount for the winch. Dealer says takes 4 hrs to run that ground that is already ran on the 17s. Last winch I did was grounded to frame on front end. So , just hook everything else up as usual and use the pre ran ground.
and... Boom - P1000 - WINCH MOUNT KIT 2017 - 08L73-HL4-F01 - Instructions

But a quick overlook. I'm not sure I understand this "pre-wire" concept. Looks like just as many wires to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

It want load in tapatalk, but should redirect to browser. If given the option. choose browser. Let me test it.
I got it to dl the service .pdf into my iBooks. No problem. Like 2 mg file size.

J

JAM

Mar 26, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Big Red
Thanks everyone. Jpred1, that makes sense since there isn't a positive wire present. When I wired my Big Red back in 09 I think I went right to the battery with the negative. Is there a reason Honda wants it to go to the engine mount or in your case a frame member?

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do not understand the point in grounding the winch to the engine. I have mine connected straight to the battery, I have not had any issues with the set up I have.

Reactions: Jshell3
advertisement
J

JAM

Mar 26, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Big Red
Just talked with a tech at Superwinch. He said that the ground lead that is pre-wired in the 2017 P1000 is the ground to use instead of grounding to the battery. Thanks again to all who posted replies.

Jerry.

Reactions: Rincon
J

JTW

Just talked with a tech at Superwinch. He said that the ground lead that is pre-wired in the 2017 P1000 is the ground to use instead of grounding to the battery. Thanks again to all who posted replies.

Jerry.
Are you running a second battery?

H

HondaTech

Honda just pre-wired the ground to cut down on Winch install. They want us to take off a bunch of body panels to install that ground. To be honest the flat rate @ 4.5 hrs is about right if you do it the way they want you too (take front fender off, etc.) But aan good tech cheating the system could do a 2016 model in about 2. I've got mind under 2 hours but that''s because I've done several and know the ins and outs of installation. With the ground ran, realistically I can see it taking maybe less than 1 to 1.5 hrs.

Honda never recommends grounding to the battery post to cut down on the risk of a loose cable causing issues with voltage to ecms, etc. I dont like grounding to the battery post for this reason as well. I dont know how many issues can be traced back to loose battery cables because of piled on accessories.

Reactions: Rincon and elkguide
J

JTW

Honda just pre-wired the ground to cut down on Winch install. They want us to take off a bunch of body panels to install that ground. To be honest the flat rate @ 4.5 hrs is about right if you do it the way they want you too (take front fender off, etc.) But aan good tech cheating the system could do a 2016 model in about 2. I've got mind under 2 hours but that''s because I've done several and know the ins and outs of installation. With the ground ran, realistically I can see it taking maybe less than 1 to 1.5 hrs.

Honda never recommends grounding to the battery post to cut down on the risk of a loose cable causing issues with voltage to ecms, etc. I dont like grounding to the battery post for this reason as well. I dont know how many issues can be traced back to loose battery cables because of piled on accessories.
I understand not having a dozen accessories ran directly to the battery posts.. but if done correctly with buss bars and fuse panels it shouldn't be an issue as your only adding two "extra" wires to either +/- terminal... (winch +/-, accessory grounding buss and supply to fuse panel).. now on the second battery setup I ran a dedicated ground back to the motor rather than jumping from the stock battery, but I still connect the winch directly to the second battery. You have to have connections somewhere. They're either at the battery or the motor and it's far easier to check them at the battery! Either way.. I think this whole prewired winch harness was quite misleading!

riverat1540

riverat1540

Apr 28, 2017
Algonquin, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Im looking to add a winch to my LE and from what I'm gathering all honda prewired for a winch on the LE models was the Ground? So you still need the factory Winch kit to install or equivalent parts?

Reactions: Rincon
J

JAM

Mar 26, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Big Red
Im looking to add a winch to my LE and from what I'm gathering all honda prewired for a winch on the LE models was the Ground? So you still need the factory Winch kit to install or equivalent parts?
If you look at the instructions for the factory kit the one thing it has that other kits don't is a split wiring harness that has you adding to the lead going to the aux power outlet (back side of the cigarette lighter outlet). This let's you get key on power to the solenoid without splicing. It also has the model specific mounting plate and hardware.
I installed a Super Winch Terra 45 using a KFI mount. I spliced into the aux power line and wired everything as shown in the SW instruction except I used the prewired ground lead instead of grounding to the battery. It went very smooth although I don't like having extra cable coiled up so I bought some #6 connectors and cut my cables to length.

riverat1540

riverat1540

Apr 28, 2017
Algonquin, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Jam Im glad I asked. I want to mount a plow this winter and was going to use a factory mount so there is plow compatibility. Im finding the factory winches about $350 but the idea of a 300 dollar install kit is a real turn off. If i use a KFI mount I'm reading i won't be able to mount a plow in many cases

S

scottf

Jan 30, 2017
Meridian, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you use the KFI winch mount you can use the KFI plow mount. Thats my plan when I add a plow this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement