P1000 100 mile service update

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I can't imagine WD40 being put in there would do anything but collect fine dust and cause it to get gunky. I took photos of mine in a thread that showed before and after of mine. How my after is set is exactly how the manual says et it and it fixed my issues. However, your park lever also has to be adjusted correctly to begin as I need up having to adjust both. Make sure the vertical free play when in neutral straddles or splits he diff rather than floating above or bow neutral. Basically hold the lever to the right of the neutral slot and wiggle it up and down to verify it is centered.

I will at least check the neutral tonight. I don't notice any issues with shifting right now but I will check just in case.

I am fairly certain from what I remember that the center pin adjustment on my mode is bottomed out on the back of the slot where it should have a 6 mm gap.

Just from talking to the tech on the phone yesterday based on his responses to my questions he doesn't know how it works and he was trying to plug and play and probably just skipped over the must have a 6mm gap portion. I figure it is pretty close since the 2WD did come on at least once last night while I was playing with it.

Thanks for the tips!

I should have just done it myself to start instead of being stubborn and trying to make the dealer fix it.

That will teach me.:D

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Why change your business practices when the same idiots keep buying th same junk year after year. Anyone who continues to buy Polaris junk after owning one, I have no remorse for. If I could sell a stick that breaks in half and people keep buying it why would I put any more time and money into making it not break.

As a dealer technician, I apologize for the ignorance you have to put up with in your dealer. Most multi line dealers treat Honda like a disease. Their too use to some guy walking in wanting to but the baddest RZR they make with daddy's money that they don't have time to understand what a real sxs is. I'd for sure call Honda about the torque converter in your P1K, id love to hear how it works with the DCT.

You win the internet for the day with that one.

That was hilarious. Especially the stick comment.

I get the exact same feeling when I am there about owning and wanting a Honda.

Unfortunately in my area, they are all multi-line Polaris/Honda dealers unless I go pretty far away.

I wish my wife's Grandfather was still around and still owned his Honda dealership. He was so well liked that he kept a shed full of parts and would get calls for quite a few years after he sold the business for people wanting his expertise.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Why change your business practices when the same idiots keep buying th same junk year after year. Anyone who continues to buy Polaris junk after owning one, I have no remorse for. If I could sell a stick that breaks in half and people keep buying it why would I put any more time and money into making it not break.

As a dealer technician, I apologize for the ignorance you have to put up with in your dealer. Most multi line dealers treat Honda like a disease. Their too use to some guy walking in wanting to but the baddest RZR they make with daddy's money that they don't have time to understand what a real sxs is. I'd for sure call Honda about the torque converter in your P1K, id love to hear how it works with the DCT.

I don't think I mentioned it but on a related comment during the 2 hours that I waited on Tuesday for them to finally tell me they "couldn't fix" my unit, I heard countless people calling wanting to know why they couldn't get a Polaris Turbo RZR and when were they going to get the parts so they could.

I am sorry, if I had just found out that a company had another major stop sale recall for a serious safety issue, I think I would be trying to find a different brand not trying to talk/berate a salesman into letting me have one of those units...:rolleyes:

H

HondaTech

I don't think I mentioned it but on a related comment during the 2 hours that I waited on Tuesday for them to finally tell me they "couldn't fix" my unit, I heard countless people calling wanting to know why they couldn't get a Polaris Turbo RZR and when were they going to get the parts so they could.

I am sorry, if I had just found out that a company had another major stop sale recall for a serious safety issue, I think I would be trying to find a different brand not trying to talk/berate a salesman into letting me have one of those units...:rolleyes:

Again, some people will buy anything if it's the status quo. Completely off topic, but I was in the mood to purchase a new dirtbike this year. All my friends said buy a Yamaha or KTM. Buy what everyone says is cool and fast. Well I bought what I now and can get parts for easily which was a Honda. Just cause someone thinks it's cool doesn't mean I have to follow them and buy the same junk. A bunch of our friends have RZR's and I outlasted them all at Rush with my 1987 Big Red.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I agree.
I've had issues at every dealer I've had service/warranty work done. Finding someone who takes pride in what they do for what most dealers are willing to pay is almost impossible. Most service departments are a losing entity in any dealership - especially the ones who get hammered with warranty claims (as you know) due to the mfg's not paying for the actual time spent - rather just paying for the time they (Honda) have adjusted for swapping the part in their shop on a clean, new unit with all the proper tools and lifts. Factor in real world shops, lack of tools sometimes, customer units caked in debris, rusted seized bolts sometimes, etc. and you spend 3 hours diagnosing something, 2 hours fighting to get parts off and on, and Honda pays 1.5 labor hours plus 0% margin on part. And people wander why their warranty unit sits for a month or two before the dealer gets to it. It is a money loser for service... If their GM is hammering the SM to reduce the L in their P&L statements they will push paying units not warranty related ahead of your warranty unit. Combine that with techs who don't have a clue what they are doing on new technology, and needless to say it's not a good process for dealers nor customers. You end up with someone tinkering around with your 20K machine who may or may not be more than a "part swapper." Keep swapping parts until the problem goes away - which is what some of these clutch issues have been IMO. Could be an electrical short causing the solenoid not to fully engage the clutch causing it to slip and get smoked under load, could be solenoid issues, could be bad ground causing intermittent engagement, could actually be the clutch being "weak" (I doubt this as I have pulled my loaded trailer and rock crawled, and if it was a weak component inherent on all units it would be more widespread - especially with the guys running 30's who have 1000 miles and ZERO issues). However, I have read some that have had recurring issues with one guy in for this third clutch in 160 miles. That is not the clutch - there is something else causing the clutch failure and it is electrical IMO. Could a bad ground cause a slight voltage drop when the solenoid tries to engage the clutch under full throttle? Who knows, but I know most guys working on these things would never be able to trace that issue down. I know for a FACT the guy who said that the Pioneer 1000 has a turbo tranny torque converter and who all but "dumped" WD40 in the shift box would NEVER be able to diagnose a technical issue on this unit. Mine would stall the engine before it slipped, and I bet this same trans will go in a higher HP sport model with the same clutches and have no issues as they will have the bugs worked out. I could be dead wrong also, but we will see soon.....

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
My dealership tried talking me into a popo when I came in to buy my second P1000! I laughed and said I actually enjoy driving my sxs! I also said as much as I like them that I really don't want to see them anymore than I have too and if I owned a popo I would be in here more than I already am getting it repaired! They actually laughed then too and said unfortunately I was right and haven't brought it up again!! I ended it with a smile and said they sure do look pretty but then again so does a whore on Saturday night but it's just not worth the disease that I will deal with after that!!:D

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dealership tried talking me into a popo when I came in to buy my second P1000! I laughed and said I actually enjoy driving my sxs! I also said as much as I like them that I really don't want to see them anymore than I have too and if I owned a popo I would be in here more than I already am getting it repaired! They actually laughed then too and said unfortunately I was right and haven't brought it up again!! I ended it with a smile and said they sure do look pretty but then again so does a whore on Saturday night but it's just not worth the disease that I will deal with after that!!:D
Hey now! Whore lives matter too! WLM!

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Whats a popo?

H

HondaTech

Not to hijack a thread but your right, it's not enough to be a good mechanic anymore, you have to be a technician. I work with three older guys in our service department, don't get me wrong when it comes to running issues and the like, they are on top of their game. But if the book tells oyu to test electrical stuff or hook up our diagnostic computer you might as well hand them a human brain and say "fix this."

Sometimes I love being the young guy int he shop and some times it sucks, both ways has it pros and cons. When our 1st clutch problem came in they immediately though the customer had done something wrong, but I knew right away what the issue had been. Most guys don't take the time to read the manual or even glance at what it's trying to tell you, although sometimes it can be very vague and misleading.

advertisement
S

smitty9805

Jun 14, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Crow hunter, did you buy the extended "aftermarket" warranty with your machine?

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Am I correct in thinking you can buy these off EBAY? Are they quality, or will everything get denied? Just curious..

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Yes. Why? I wasn't going to by my wife really wanted it.

I had the feeling it would only be applicable to Abernathy's but she really wanted it.

Let me guess, they get kickbacks and no one else will use it, including them?

S

smitty9805

Jun 14, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. Why? I wasn't going to by my wife really wanted it.

I had the feeling it would only be applicable to Abernathy's but she really wanted it.

Let me guess, they get kickbacks and no one else will use it, including them?

I'm not 100% sure if you have to take it to that dealership or not, but I bought the warranty for a new Polaris sportsman back in 08 and the aftermarket warranty wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. They made it sound good, but in reality it didn't cover anything I had a problem with. And trust me, I had a lot of problems with that rig! Lol. They asked when I bought the pioneer a couple months ago if I wanted the extended warranty...I just laughed. Then, while I was signing the papers they asked me to sign a paper saying I was turning down the extended warranty that they had so graciously offered to me at "their" cost. Makes ya wonder. I thought I read somewhere that Honda offers an extended warranty?

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm not 100% sure if you have to take it to that dealership or not, but I bought the warranty for a new Polaris sportsman back in 08 and the aftermarket warranty wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. They made it sound good, but in reality it didn't cover anything I had a problem with. And trust me, I had a lot of problems with that rig! Lol. They asked when I bought the pioneer a couple months ago if I wanted the extended warranty...I just laughed. Then, while I was signing the papers they asked me to sign a paper saying I was turning down the extended warranty that they had so graciously offered to me at "their" cost. Makes ya wonder. I thought I read somewhere that Honda offers an extended warranty?

Yep. You can get 3 more years from Honda at any time before your 1 year runs out for $600-700'ish, I think?

They claimed that it was "better" coverage than Honda because it paid more per hour for shop time than Honda did and since I figured that I would go to them if I had a warranty claim I would go with what they suggested which was the advice that @CumminsPusher gave that sounded quite reasonable to me.

Hopefully I won't have any problems with it at all since it is a Honda. I didn't with my Recon or Rincon. But if I do, since my brother knows the owner pretty well and I have met him a bunch and helped out at the gun store they used to have there and even shot machine guns with him once hopefully they will honor it. The owner actually fixed my brother's RZR outside of warranty at his own cost because it was obviously a design issue that Polaris wouldn't fix rather than charging my brother for it. Of course that was probably because my brother spent nearly every paycheck with them on high end guns/parts/suppressors or buying offroad stuff.

My wife said I should call him up and complain about the service but I won't because I would still have to haul it back up there and they probably still wouldn't fix it right. I'll at least try to fix it myself first.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Am I correct in thinking you can buy these off EBAY? Are they quality, or will everything get denied? Just curious..

I think you can.

According to the dealer, the aftermarket warranty company that they use pays a higher shop rate than Honda will and they have had less trouble getting them to pay for warranty issues than they do with Honda. They did a story about a guy who bought a Rancher and how this company paid to replace the rear differential where Honda would not.

I am sure it was salesman smoke but I really was doing it more for my wife's benefit than my own. I firmly believed at the time that Honda would not have a problem with anything.

Not as sure now but we will see. I would rather have gone with the actual factory Honda warranty now.

I don't remember who it was with at the moment. I think it was some company that had "Torque" in the title but that may just be the torque converter comment from the service guys stuck in my mind.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you can.

According to the dealer, the aftermarket warranty company that they use pays a higher shop rate than Honda will and they have had less trouble getting them to pay for warranty issues than they do with Honda. They did a story about a guy who bought a Rancher and how this company paid to replace the rear differential where Honda would not.

I am sure it was salesman smoke but I really was doing it more for my wife's benefit than my own. I firmly believed at the time that Honda would not have a problem with anything.

Not as sure now but we will see. I would rather have gone with the actual factory Honda warranty now.

I don't remember who it was with at the moment. I think it was some company that had "Torque" in the title but that may just be the torque converter comment from the service guys stuck in my mind.
A dealer in Birmingham had a similar story. They must teach them to repeat these "stories" to the buyers to help sell just like any sales company does with their reps. It's like Home Depot's story about the owner (Arthur (?) ) who had a customer return tires years ago, and he refunded them with the point being Home Depot doesn't even sell tires. Who knows if these "stories" are true or not. Anyone who has the sole intention of making money off of me is approached with a degree of scrutiny. As the saying goes, judge something by what it seeks, not what it is.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep. You can get 3 more years from Honda at any time before your 1 year runs out for $600-700'ish, I think?

They claimed that it was "better" coverage than Honda because it paid more per hour for shop time than Honda did and since I figured that I would go to them if I had a warranty claim I would go with what they suggested which was the advice that @CumminsPusher gave that sounded quite reasonable to me.

Hopefully I won't have any problems with it at all since it is a Honda. I didn't with my Recon or Rincon. But if I do, since my brother knows the owner pretty well and I have met him a bunch and helped out at the gun store they used to have there and even shot machine guns with him once hopefully they will honor it. The owner actually fixed my brother's RZR outside of warranty at his own cost because it was obviously a design issue that Polaris wouldn't fix rather than charging my brother for it. Of course that was probably because my brother spent nearly every paycheck with them on high end guns/parts/suppressors or buying offroad stuff.

My wife said I should call him up and complain about the service but I won't because I would still have to haul it back up there and they probably still wouldn't fix it right. I'll at least try to fix it myself first.
Invoice them for your time having to trace back their fixes as well as for having to clean out the 1/2" puddle of WD40. I'd say $85 per hour is fair.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Invoice them for your time having to trace back their fixes as well as for having to clean out the 1/2" puddle of WD40. I'd say $85 per hour is fair.

That is not too far off from my billing rate now. :)

I wish....

Actually, if I do fix it, I am going to call and tell them what they did wrong so at least they won't cause the same issue with someone else's unit. That is, of course, if they will listen to me.

Maybe I will tell the service manager that I had to adjust the Turbomatic servo controlled torque converter slipper clutch to make it work right.

advertisement