P1000 100 mile service update

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, I got my machine back from the 100 mile service.

As others had predicted, the shifting is less violent and noticeably quieter as is the gear whine.

Before taking the unit in, I called Honda to voice my concern over the shuddering on a hill and in reverse. The customer service rep that I talked to said that the P1000s that he had driven did shudder some on a hill but since he was not with me, he could not tell me that what I was seeing was "normal shudder" or not and that I should let the dealer look at it and he made a note in their system on my VIN number about my concern on the shuddering should anything happen with it in the future.

So while I was at the dealer, I talked to the Service Manager about it and he said lets go and take a look. So we drove it over to the currently being constructed I-69 overpass and we drove it up and down the berm some. He said it was normal and nothing to be concerned about. He said that it was the torque converter going in and out of stall mode and when I protested he said that it had a something Turbo Torque converter with a 5 speed transmission on it and that I shouldn't be concerned..... :rolleyes:o_O

I should have just loaded up and left and took it to another dealer, but I didn't.

He said it would only take about an hour and then he would have me fixed up including adjusting the drive mode cables which he said would take less time that it took to open it up. Two hours later...:mad: He came out and said they had completed the service but when they adjusted the cables, the mode indicator wouldn't work anymore so they needed to work on it some more. I could either take it with me or I could just leave it and they would figure it out and let me know. So I left it.

This morning I get the call that they fixed it. I take off work early, again, and go and pick it up. He said they found another "box" on the differential that was apparently "out of adjustment from the factory" so when they adjusted the cables, it stopped working. They consulted "the manual" and they got it figured out and had to redo the cables and now it is working. I didn't check, because well, I am dumb I guess.:oops:

As we were loading it up, I asked him about the shuddering and he assured me that it was perfectly normal and that just to be sure they had taken that camo unit sitting right there and did the same thing with it and it did the same thing so I shouldn't worry. I wonder if the same "they" are the "they" that "fixed" my shift mode indicator?

Do I believe him? No.

Do I care anymore? No.

Will I buy another Honda? Depends on if it fails or not and how it is taken care of.

Will I buy another first year model? Not even with someone else's money.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will I buy another first year model? Not even with someone else's money.
Lol to that.
Regarding your dealer, geez....
That's the reason I don't let any dealer's mechanic or mechanic's assistant put their meat beaters near my machine. High turnover plus poorly educated regarding what they are working on = your Pioneer 1000 having the one and only torque converter turbo 5 speed ever produced. No wander the rep wanted your VIN # ;)
Rest assured though, the guy who said you have a turbo 5 speed tranny said it's normal.
I've got one for you.. went to pick up both of my Sportsman 500 HOs about 10 years ago, and when we pulled up I noticed what looked like mine towing a sxs across the service lot. Yep, it was one of mine. Didn't go well with the service manager. Doesn't end there however -- looked under the rear fender to check if they had put the "new" battery in I had just paid for and low and behold it was covered in dirt/crud. Sure looked a lot like the original! Chewed that ass up and down one side of the lot to the other and got my money back. One thing to be incompetent, another to be a crooked liar.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
WTF... lol.

Will you ever go back to that dealer that sales the 5 speed pioneer 1000 with a Turbo Torque converter? Probably.
But I wouldn't.

You should have call him out.

Well he was going to work on my machine and supposedly get me out in "only an hour" so I figured I would let it slide.

I try to be nice and not call people out and I liked that dealer and have friends that work there so I didn't want to get the reputation of being "that guy".

However, I am probably not going to be as nice tomorrow.

They did have a 2017 Yamaha YXZ SS model in black with red trim for me to look at. Man that is a sweet paint/trim job.

Reactions: joeymt33
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Lol to that.
Regarding your dealer, geez....
That's the reason I don't let any dealer's mechanic or mechanic's assistant put their meat beaters near my machine. High turnover plus poorly educated regarding what they are working on = your Pioneer 1000 having the one and only torque converter turbo 5 speed ever produced. No wander the rep wanted your VIN # ;)
Rest assured though, the guy who said you have a turbo 5 speed tranny said it's normal.
I've got one for you.. went to pick up both of my Sportsman 500 HOs about 10 years ago, and when we pulled up I noticed what looked like mine towing a sxs across the service lot. Yep, it was one of mine. Didn't go well with the service manager. Doesn't end there however -- looked under the rear fender to check if they had put the "new" battery in I had just paid for and low and behold it was covered in dirt/crud. Sure looked a lot like the original! Chewed that ass up and down one side of the lot to the other and got my money back. One thing to be incompetent, another to be a crooked liar.

Yeah, I am starting to regret it but I thought I would let them service it first, get that in the system and while I was there I could look at some of the other machines and talk to them about the shuddering issue and also pick up a rear view mirror and some oil to top it off because I was fairly certain that they wouldn't fill it all the way up and I could stand around a BS with my friends that worked there.

Little did I know that Polaris was going to pull another recall out of the hat and the guys that I knew spent the whole time on the phone with very irate customers that had either just purchased or were wanting to purchase a Rzr Turbo and they couldn't pick them up or buy one. There were some very mad people and I am sure it cost them some sales.

I did get to see and sit in a 2017 General. I like the colors, but I didn't like the getting in and out. I was a little concerned though that I might spontaneously combust sitting in it though. As fast as they got them out, they are bound to be on a recall list soon.

Reactions: joeymt33

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I am starting to regret it but I thought I would let them service it first, get that in the system and while I was there I could look at some of the other machines and talk to them about the shuddering issue and also pick up a rear view mirror and some oil to top it off because I was fairly certain that they wouldn't fill it all the way up and I could stand around a BS with my friends that worked there.

Little did I know that Polaris was going to pull another recall out of the hat and the guys that I knew spent the whole time on the phone with very irate customers that had either just purchased or were wanting to purchase a Rzr Turbo and they couldn't pick them up or buy one. There were some very mad people and I am sure it cost them some sales.

I did get to see and sit in a 2017 General. I like the colors, but I didn't like the getting in and out.
I bet.
I looked over a General simply out of curiosity while searching for my Pioneer and was not too impressed. Not too far off the RZR I had owned and had bad luck with. Looks like the General 4 is just a RZR 4 with General panels. I've never understood why a company producing that much volume can't fix their issues and rep. Their new release is now battling their newly released recalls. When they said they had multiple new releases coming who knew they meant a recall was in the mix! I have to give it to them, they did surprise some folks!

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My indicator does not work either. It should, but I decided that I don't really care. Do I really need a little light telling me what I already know? I know it's a matter of this is an expensive machine and it should work, but I refuse to let them put their grubby little hands on it at the dealership. I know I would be lucky if they figured it out, and most likely something else would not be working when I get it back. I should probably have my eyes on the trail, rather than looking at the dash to see if the indicator is working anyway. It's pretty much the same as a seat belt light that turns off when you put it on.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see lots of people saying the machine is slow to change modes, but mine is near instant. When the indicator was working it was slow to show the change, but it shifted modes immediately. I wonder if people are only relying on the indicator to determine when the machine is shifting modes?
An easy way to test this is to put your front wheels against a log, or stop in the middle of a medium size rock garden. Start in turf, you'll go nowhere. Then go through 2wd, 4wd, and lock the diffs. It's really easy to tell the difference when your rig is in a situation like that, rather than trying to determine when it shifts on the road.

Reactions: sharp
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I see lots of people saying the machine is slow to change modes, but mine is near instant. When the indicator was working it was slow to show the change, but it shifted modes immediately. I wonder if people are only relying on the indicator to determine when the machine is shifting modes?
An easy way to test this is to put your front wheels against a log, or stop in the middle of a medium size rock garden. Start in turf, you'll go nowhere. Then go through 2wd, 4wd, and lock the diffs. It's really easy to tell the difference when your rig is in a situation like that, rather than trying to determine when it shifts on the road.

Before the cables were adjusted, mine was slow to shift modes and the indicator followed the mode. I could hear/feel the shift and the indicator didn't display until after the mode actually shifted.

Now it shifts nearly instantly but no indicator change at all. It was raining yesterday when I got home so I went to the hill behind the house and I checked all the modes. When in turf, it would only spin a single tire in the wet grass. Wouldn't break the dirt loose just spin in the grass. In 2WD it would break both tires loose and try to slide sideways. :)D)

When in 4WD I could feel the transfer case lock up and feel the front drive shaft engage and then in Diff lock it would get very, very hard to turn.

All happened near instantly, like you state.

But no changes to the indicator at all. Like it was disconnected or something.

It doesn't bother me, although it would be nice to have the confirmation that it was in gear. However, I would rather have it shift when I want it than to show me how long it was taking to finally shift.

My only concern is if it is a loose connection I don't want to cause another problem somewhere down the line due to corrosion or a short or a spider building a nest in it or something.

Well that and the fact that I paid $19,000+ for something that seem to work as designed and then $140 for a initial service that I had to make 4 trips to the dealership for that still isn't working "right.":mad:

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I just got lucky with mine. Still not a single complaint other than the heat which I fixed for less than 40 bucks. I love the clutch actuation. No slipping. You're either at a standstill or you're in motion.

S

smitty9805

Jun 14, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Before the cables were adjusted, mine was slow to shift modes and the indicator followed the mode. I could hear/feel the shift and the indicator didn't display until after the mode actually shifted.

Now it shifts nearly instantly but no indicator change at all. It was raining yesterday when I got home so I went to the hill behind the house and I checked all the modes. When in turf, it would only spin a single tire in the wet grass. Wouldn't break the dirt loose just spin in the grass. In 2WD it would break both tires loose and try to slide sideways. :)D)

When in 4WD I could feel the transfer case lock up and feel the front drive shaft engage and then in Diff lock it would get very, very hard to turn.

All happened near instantly, like you state.

But no changes to the indicator at all. Like it was disconnected or something.

It doesn't bother me, although it would be nice to have the confirmation that it was in gear. However, I would rather have it shift when I want it than to show me how long it was taking to finally shift.

My only concern is if it is a loose connection I don't want to cause another problem somewhere down the line due to corrosion or a short or a spider building a nest in it or something.

Well that and the fact that I paid $19,000+ for something that seem to work as designed and then $140 for a initial service that I had to make 4 trips to the dealership for that still isn't working "right.":mad:

Crow hunter, I purchased mine from the same dealer. While they are hard to beat for prices, they lack on service.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Crow hunter, I purchased mine from the same dealer. While they are hard to beat for prices, they lack on service.

So I am finding out. I think they are way more focused on Po Po.

Do you have an alternative that is better around the area? Bob's maybe?

S

smitty9805

Jun 14, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I am finding out. I think they are way more focused on Po Po.

Do you have an alternative that is better around the area? Bob's maybe?

I agree on the popo's. I have heard good reviews on bobs from friends. If I lived closer, that's where I would take mine

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree on the popo's. I have heard good reviews on bobs from friends. If I lived closer, that's where I would take mine

I may start doing that. It is only a little further to get to Bob's for me than Abernathy's. I just don't like dealing with Jackson drivers on a good day in a car much less trying to do so hauling the Pioneer on a 6'4"X12 trailer at that Vann Drive intersection.:eek:

But it would probably be more convenient for us since there is more to do in Jackson when we go.

Thanks!

Reactions: smitty9805
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I played with it some more last night. I followed every cable from the rear diff back to it's origination/termination and made sure that everything was plugged in tightly. No effect.

There was a comment on the paperwork of "lubing the cam" in the mode shift box which means, "filling it .125" deep with WD-40":rolleyes:

The fact they think that Water Displacement #40 is a "lube" is something that should give pause to anyone wanting to get their unit serviced at Abernathy Honda...

I found one instance last night where I had put it in park and gotten out while the engine was running and got back in and the display said "2WD lock" but it never came back on. So at least that portion of the display isn't actually burned out.

I think they may have over tightened the shifter cables and I am going to print of the directions here and do it again after it cools off a little. I dripped about a 6" diameter pool of sweat onto the rear floorboard last night just taking the panel off and putting it back on.:eek:

When they changed the rear diff fluid they didn't clean off the top of the skid plate, at least that is my sincerest hop, otherwise I now have a leak, which wouldn't surprise me at all... I cleaned it off last night and will check it again today to make sure it didn't come back.

I also installed my Honda rearview mirror which came with no instructions but was fairly simple to install.

The good news is they actually filled the unit up with oil correctly according to the run it for 3-5 min, wait 1-2 min to check bassakwards Honda oil check procedure.:rolleyes:

At 1:00, I was touching the bottom line and by 1:30 I was half way up and by 2:00 I was at the top mark. So I was "somewhere" in that range anyway... Man I really, really hate that oil check method.

I did do some more driving around as well and the shudder does seem to be less now that it was when new. Hopefully it will continue to get less noticeable.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I played with it some more last night. I followed every cable from the rear diff back to it's origination/termination and made sure that everything was plugged in tightly. No effect.

There was a comment on the paperwork of "lubing the cam" in the mode shift box which means, "filling it .125" deep with WD-40":rolleyes:

The fact they think that Water Displacement #40 is a "lube" is something that should give pause to anyone wanting to get their unit serviced at Abernathy Honda...

I found one instance last night where I had put it in park and gotten out while the engine was running and got back in and the display said "2WD lock" but it never came back on. So at least that portion of the display isn't actually burned out.

I think they may have over tightened the shifter cables and I am going to print of the directions here and do it again after it cools off a little. I dripped about a 6" diameter pool of sweat onto the rear floorboard last night just taking the panel off and putting it back on.:eek:

When they changed the rear diff fluid they didn't clean off the top of the skid plate, at least that is my sincerest hop, otherwise I now have a leak, which wouldn't surprise me at all... I cleaned it off last night and will check it again today to make sure it didn't come back.

I also installed my Honda rearview mirror which came with no instructions but was fairly simple to install.

The good news is they actually filled the unit up with oil correctly according to the run it for 3-5 min, wait 1-2 min to check bassakwards Honda oil check procedure.:rolleyes:

At 1:00, I was touching the bottom line and by 1:30 I was half way up and by 2:00 I was at the top mark. So I was "somewhere" in that range anyway... Man I really, really hate that oil check method.

I did do some more driving around as well and the shudder does seem to be less now that it was when new. Hopefully it will continue to get less noticeable.
What cam are they referring to in the shift box?
Surely they did not fill the "mode shift box" that is under the driver's seat with WD-40?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I assume they are talking about the pivot pin/slot in the shifter cable box because it was that box that is full of WD-40.

After reviewing the instruction posted here with the pictures, I am just about certain that they didn't leave the 6mm gap between the back of the pin and the end of the slot and that is why it works but doesn't show anything on the screen. I think mine is nearly bottoming out on the back.

I may be wrong but I will try and fool with it some this weekend on Sunday morning or something before it gets too hot or move over to the patio instead of trying to do it in my stifling hot garage with only enough room to stand up in because of all the crap I have collected.

When I build my permanent retirement home I will have a shop with some ROOM dammit! :D

And freaking air conditioner.:cool:

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I assume they are talking about the pivot pin/slot in the shifter cable box because it was that box that is full of WD-40.

After reviewing the instruction posted here with the pictures, I am just about certain that they didn't leave the 6mm gap between the back of the pin and the end of the slot and that is why it works but doesn't show anything on the screen. I think mine is nearly bottoming out on the back.

I may be wrong but I will try and fool with it some this weekend on Sunday morning or something before it gets too hot or move over to the patio instead of trying to do it in my stifling hot garage with only enough room to stand up in because of all the crap I have collected.

When I build my permanent retirement home I will have a shop with some ROOM dammit! :D

And freaking air conditioner.:cool:
I can't imagine WD40 being put in there would do anything but collect fine dust and cause it to get gunky. I took photos of mine in a thread that showed before and after of mine. How my after is set is exactly how the manual says et it and it fixed my issues. However, your park lever also has to be adjusted correctly to begin as I need up having to adjust both. Make sure the vertical free play when in neutral straddles or splits he diff rather than floating above or bow neutral. Basically hold the lever to the right of the neutral slot and wiggle it up and down to verify it is centered.

H

HondaTech

I bet.
I looked over a General simply out of curiosity while searching for my Pioneer and was not too impressed. Not too far off the RZR I had owned and had bad luck with. Looks like the General 4 is just a RZR 4 with General panels. I've never understood why a company producing that much volume can't fix their issues and rep. Their new release is now battling their newly released recalls. When they said they had multiple new releases coming who knew they meant a recall was in the mix! I have to give it to them, they did surprise some folks!

Why change your business practices when the same idiots keep buying th same junk year after year. Anyone who continues to buy Polaris junk after owning one, I have no remorse for. If I could sell a stick that breaks in half and people keep buying it why would I put any more time and money into making it not break.

As a dealer technician, I apologize for the ignorance you have to put up with in your dealer. Most multi line dealers treat Honda like a disease. Their too use to some guy walking in wanting to but the baddest RZR they make with daddy's money that they don't have time to understand what a real sxs is. I'd for sure call Honda about the torque converter in your P1K, id love to hear how it works with the DCT.

advertisement