P1000 Wiring Opinion

J

JTW

Thank you. I just added winch and second battery, will be doing the switches for accessories (Switch-Pro) sometime in the next couple of weeks. So these topics have been on my mind.

I don’t think anyone much protects the winch circuits - similar to the starter on a car.

I just imagined a positive accessory bus potentially being exposed for shorts if a cover popped off or something. Sounds like your 100 amp breaker covers that scenario
Superwinch comes or at least came with a breaker for the winch circuit.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had mine wired right after my 100amp disconnect, some have said it will trip that 100am switch, so I changed it and wired directly to my isolator which comes directly from my house battery. Anyone see an issue with this? It's against my better judgement to not have it on a protected circuit, but it seems lots do it. If there is a need to protect the circuit what would ya'll use and how many amp?

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know that my warn axon 4500 draws 208 amps at max load. That’s a pricey and substantial breaker (say 250 or 275 amp). You’d have to look up amps on your particular winch to answer the question for your rig.