P1000 Wiring Opinion

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve been doing several things to the machine here lately. Added front led light, rear led light, added winch. Been doing quite a bit of wiring and have added second battery. I’ve got one question that I would like opinions on. I had power directly to my winch solenoid and then came off and went straight to 80 amp stinger. And then had switched power to my fuse panel. The more I looked at this, I just didn’t like it. I had to run 2 wires off same positive terminal on winch solenoid to make this work. Tonight, I moved my winch power to the switched side of my 80 amp stinger. Now when I switch my main rocker switch on my switch panel it activates my stinger and sends power to winch and fuse panel. I like this better but will it be okay like this? Disregard my factory battery being out, I bought an amazon wireless winch relay to put it in and had factory battery out. (It was bad out of the box by the way) Thanks in advance.

Image Image Image Image Image

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I moved my winch power to the switched side of my 80 amp stinger
Can you clarify this?

You mean the small winch control wire or the big red wire?
If big red wire.. No, I don't recommend this. If the small wire, then thats ok.
Your winch will pull way more than 80 amps.
The winch main wires should be direct to the second battery. Both positive and negative to isolate that circuit to the second battery only.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I don’t think that stinger is going to handle the amps the winch might need...

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay thanks guys. I just don’t like having 2 big cables coming off winch solenoid Positive like I had before. I’ll figure something out. I could just keep winch hot off battery at all times but anyone could run my winch rocker switch if I did that. Suggestions?

J

JTW

Okay thanks guys. I just don’t like having 2 big cables coming off winch solenoid Positive like I had before. I’ll figure something out. I could just keep winch hot off battery at all times but anyone could run my rocker switch if I did that. Suggestions?
@Hondasxs ... sell this man a key on hot for his winch rocker switch

Reactions: LJSXS and Mudwing
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Reactions: LJSXS
J

JTW

@LJSXS i basically run the same setup.. I have the stinger that controls all my accessories, which is powered by a master switch on my switch panel. The winch solenoid gets power from a key on source off the ignition, via a cigarette lighter plug adapter that hondasxs sells

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
And... I personally dont like sharing any wires off the winch solenoid.
too much current flowing throw that area when in use.

So. off your second battery most people have at a minimum.
- Stinger
- Winch
- Maybe another high draw item.

Reactions: LJSXS and JTW
L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@JTW
The winch solenoid gets power from a key on source off the ignition,

I’m not understanding this? Can you elaborate. When you say winch solenoid what are you referring to? The black solenoid box all 4 wires go to? If so how are you running a switch to power it in and off?

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@JTW
The winch solenoid gets power from a key on source off the ignition,

I’m not understanding this? Can you elaborate. When you say winch solenoid what are you referring to? The black solenoid box all 4 wires go to? If so how are you running a switch to power it in and off?
Ok. Lets back up some because things are running together.

Winch Solenoid (or contactor) is the black box with the 4 post and large gauge wires and 2 maybe 3 small "control" wires.
The Red large gauge wire going to the solenoid is normally always hot on most everyone's rigs.

Now,
If you already have the small control wires on key-on power off the ignition then you are good.
No one can operate your winch without the key.

Last edited:
L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay I think I’m with you now. Only issue I see now is Im going to have 3 positive battery cables coming off accessories battery now. 1 to Stinger. 1 to Winch. And 1 to Isolator. Correct? I did see someone send power to stinger from Isolator.

J

JTW

Okay I think I’m with you now. Only issue I see now is Im going to have 3 positive battery cables coming off accessories battery now. 1 to Stinger. 1 to Winch. And 1 to Isolator. Correct? I did see someone send power to stinger from Isolator.

Here’s mine.. yes, 3 off hot (winch, accessory power-aka stinger, and the isolator), 3 off ground (ground back to the motor mount, buss bar, and the winch). I’ve changed mine a bit since this pic and put my stereo and CB off the stinger so it comes in when I hit the master switch.

I’m not sure why you think having 3 cables off the accessory battery is a bad thing? I’m 3 years in and no issue. I’ve gone over and over it and I don’t see a better way to do it for my setup and what I want.

DFB29B9A 0DF5 4859 BF71 989B1FA1AF0C
2BEFB2E4 53D8 4E90 B926 9E825C088EDE
D88147E3 333A 40F1 B99E 355F839AE8D2

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@JTW just the bulkiness of having that many cables on one terminal. That’s all. Didn’t know if there was a cleaner way to do it. I’ll move everything around today as you have suggested. Thank you guys for the help! It is greatly appreciated! @Hondasxs

Reactions: TripleB
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I see you have a bus bar for the negative side. I did a bus bar for both negative and positive for the same reason you mentioned, I didn't like 3 large wires to one small post. I can't find a pic of it on my machine but I think you get the idea since you did it with your negative side.

Go big, 250 amp: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VELFDK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here’s mine.. yes, 3 off hot (winch, accessory power-aka stinger, and the isolator), 3 off ground (ground back to the motor mount, buss bar, and the winch). I’ve changed mine a bit since this pic and put my stereo and CB off the stinger so it comes in when I hit the master switch.

I’m not sure why you think having 3 cables off the accessory battery is a bad thing? I’m 3 years in and no issue. I’ve gone over and over it and I don’t see a better way to do it for my setup and what I want.

View attachment 172673 View attachment 172674 View attachment 172675

It's hard to tell in the pics but I did almost exactly the same thing.

Relays Switch

Reactions: JTW
JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OnTheJob I'm curious, how are you providing short protection on the bussed positive setup?

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OnTheJob I'm curious, how are you providing short protection on the bussed positive setup?

Well, that has been discussed here before about protection to the winch circuit. Some said you don't need it for the winch, some have put large circuit breakers (300-500 amp) to the winch power. I don't have anything going to winch contactor. Nothing in the directions about a breaker and I contacted Motoalliance, they said it was okay without. I haven't had an issue. Others say my rig could burn to the ground someday if there is a loose connection in the winch circuit.

The positive from the bus to the accessory has a 100 amp breaker. Nothing from the isolator to the first or second battery.

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you. I just added winch and second battery, will be doing the switches for accessories (Switch-Pro) sometime in the next couple of weeks. So these topics have been on my mind.

I don’t think anyone much protects the winch circuits - similar to the starter on a car.

I just imagined a positive accessory bus potentially being exposed for shorts if a cover popped off or something. Sounds like your 100 amp breaker covers that scenario

advertisement