P1000 Windshield or No Windshield for my New Pioneer 1000 (Please help..)

Johann C

Johann C

Dec 11, 2021
Columbus, Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good Evening to everyone,

I got a call yesterday that my long awaited Pioneer 1000-3 is shipped and that I can pick it up in a couple of days!

I now need to decide on accessories, especially with regards to a front windshield. Some folks say yes, and some say no.

I will appreciate your thoughts and opinion on this. Also if you lean towards the Honda OEM versus the Super ATV if you think a windshield is the way to go. (Weather wise - I am in Georgia, South of Atlanta)

I would also like to hear your opinion about a rear windshield..

Thank you so much for your opinion!
Johann

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, and welcome Johann! I have the Honda windshield that came stock on my -5 SE. I installed an aftermarket SuperATV rear windshield. I would recommend SuperATV for both front and rear. The SuperATV give a more convenient way of opening the window for ventilation than the Honda. The rear window is primarily to reduce dust. SuperATV makes a quality product. Only downside on the -5 is that it reduces ground clearance and access to the rear of the bed - but that's to be expected. Hitting one's head on the edge of the open rear window, if you're clumsy like me, is to be expected too.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I got a call yesterday that my long awaited Pioneer 1000-3 is shipped and that I can pick it up in a couple of days!

I now need to decide on accessories, especially with regards to a front windshield. Some folks say yes, and some say no.

I will appreciate your thoughts and opinion on this. Also if you lean towards the Honda OEM versus the Super ATV if you think a windshield is the way to go. (Weather wise - I am in Georgia, South of Atlanta)

Johann
I've got the SATV flip and the Kolpin shortie. I like the SATV in rainy seasons and the Kolpin shortie the rest of the time. When I ride tight woods I have to keep the SATV wind shield closed, because it would get ripped off. Bet that doesn't help much. HA

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Northern Michigan. I would recommend the SATV for the front. I think anything on the back will help with dust BUT expect a dusty ride without further dust reduction methods.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rode mine for the first few summer months I owned it with no windshield at all. I liked the open air experience of riding, and thought I'd probably not get a windshield.

That thought changed quickly when I hit Fall here in MI.

I got the half fold-down style so I can still get a mostly open air ride in the Summer.

J

JimB1055

Nov 20, 2018
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello Johann, I had many thoughts myself about whether to put a windshield on my 1000-3. Even in South Georgia, I believe it will be too cold to run without a windshield. I tried to last winter in East Tennessee, but it was too cold. I bought a Honda OEM windshield.(newer model) It fits perfect around the factory hardtop. It clamps on very quickly (after initial install) and can be removed in a couple of minutes. I remove mine for the summer. I am thinking about a rear windshield. The station wagon effect pulls a lot of dust back around and into the cab. A rear windshield would reduce this greatly.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with the Armor Tech glass windshield and steel frame and added an electric wiper, and the steel rear panel with sliding window. With the Armor Tech steel roof, everything fit perfectly.

I am very happy. It was a "buy once, cry once" deal 406537afc62d0d31c458900ee0a18413A17f7b80c6989b29bc112f40a82e11cf

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome! The first windshield I had on my P5 was a folding windshield with about a 6" open gap across the top which was nice as it gave a clear area for my Go-Pro and seemed to cut the dust a bit, however...
1) Since it was not hard coated it scratched very quickly and very badly.
2) A few years ago, I was riding in the UP of Michigan in September and ended up in a rain, sleet, snow mix which became quite difficult to see through the spotted and scratched windshield. Additionally, the chilly watery mix came through the hinged area on the windshield and soaked my legs starting above the knee, where it was dripping, but eventually soaked a good portion of my pants.
I have since rid myself of the hinged windshield and put on a glass windshield, I wasn't as smart as @TxDoc putting on electric wipers and went manual, but I did put on a windshield washer reservoir, pump and nozzles which work great.
If you go plastic, make sure it is hard coated, but IMHO Glass is the way to go.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from another michigander!

I think SATV flip is a great option. Best of both worlds there! Ive had mine for quite a few years and have been very pleased. So pleased i have one on my Talon as well.

Dont forget the most important Gospel verse of the forum! We like pics pics pics when u pic up that new buggy! Or you“ll get the…
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
some guys are really bad about enforcing that! I cant remember there names 🤔 I hear the ring leader is a real
stickler:rolleyes:🥳

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Johann
Hi and welcome. I live in the Southern part of Mississippi and I run a tinted and coated Super ATV windshield. It doesn't get real cold here and it knocks off enough wind to make the riding pleasant. I don't have a rear windshield and if the dust gets too bad I can slide the 1/2 windshield up a couple of inches and it allows air to flow through and reduce the dust.

advertisement
Johann C

Johann C

Dec 11, 2021
Columbus, Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello Johann, I had many thoughts myself about whether to put a windshield on my 1000-3. Even in South Georgia, I believe it will be too cold to run without a windshield. I tried to last winter in East Tennessee, but it was too cold. I bought a Honda OEM windshield.(newer model) It fits perfect around the factory hardtop. It clamps on very quickly (after initial install) and can be removed in a couple of minutes. I remove mine for the summer. I am thinking about a rear windshield. The station wagon effect pulls a lot of dust back around and into the cab. A rear windshield would reduce this greatly.
Jim, do you have the two piece Poly, or the glass one?
Thanks

Reactions: rtn001 and Lady01
S

stokesdd

Apr 15, 2018
utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Johann
I have a glass windshield on my Pioneer 1000 and I like it. The windshield and roof will make it louder but both are necessary for sun and rain. I went with the glass windshield because it will not go milky or scratch. I put some sound deadening material on the roof and that helps a little bit. When I am riding on trails in our mountains, I find that I do not need hearing protection but on the road, it gets significantly louder and I need protection. While wearing a helmet, the sound is much less.
I don't have a rear windshield but some netting material seems to help eliminate some dust.
I love my Pioneer 1000-3, in fact I have 2 of them for the family rides.
DDS

S

stokesdd

Apr 15, 2018
utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a glass windshield on my Pioneer 1000 and I like it. The windshield and roof will make it louder but both are necessary for sun and rain. I went with the glass windshield because it will not go milky or scratch. I put some sound deadening material on the roof and that helps a little bit. When I am riding on trails in our mountains, I find that I do not need hearing protection but on the road, it gets significantly louder and I need protection. While wearing a helmet, the sound is much less.
I don't have a rear windshield but some netting material seems to help eliminate some dust.
I love my Pioneer 1000-3, in fact I have 2 of them for the family rides.
DDS
Oh just another note, my front windshield has a louver that can be opened or closed, in the summer I open it up for a welcomed breeze, when it gets cool, I close it and it is more comfortable.
DDS

T

Tmorg

Jul 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with the Armor Tech glass windshield and steel frame and added an electric wiper, and the steel rear panel with sliding window. With the Armor Tech steel roof, everything fit perfectly.

I am very happy. It was a "buy once, cry once" deal View attachment 308677View attachment 308678

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Nice Ride! Where did you get your back(mid) window? Is it Honda OEM?

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the OEM Honda split windshield and then added the extensions from PBR so it could open more. Bad part was when fully open the bottom part of the upper windshield was right in my line of sight, so I found myself sort of ducking to see under it. I like having a windshield that can open or close if I had to pick again it would be the @SuperATV windshield. Good luck.

advertisement