P1000 Winch switch

Dordon

Dordon

May 24, 2021
Eastern Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finished my dual battery setup and installed new switches but was wondering about the 7 pin winch switch. It is always lit even when the side by side is not running is that the way to have it? It is powered by the auxiliary battery and switch to the key on power. I have the SuperATV 4500 winch. Can someone draw or link where my wires should be on the switch. I am not sure I want the winch on all the time to drain the battery. What is everyone doing?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It is powered by the auxiliary battery and switch to the key on power.
It cant be key-on. Otherwise you would not have this issue.

You need to find the switch power wire, usually the red wire.
Trace it to see where it hooks up to.
Relocate it to key-on only.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I meant the small wire is key-on but the main power is direct to auxilliary battery
And that is normally fine.

But if your winch works key-off or the switch is lit all the time then it is not wired to a key-on circuit.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Dordon

Dordon

May 24, 2021
Eastern Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Then I have the power wires not set up correctly, which post do I need to use the key-on wire on the switch and how does everyone have theirs set up as key-on or always on? Thank you for the help

Reactions: Lady01 and CMB
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
For a winch in/out switch.
Usually post 2 or 5 or sometimes jumped to both is where the input power goes. This should be key-on.

You will have 2 output wires for the winch control. Usually on 1&3 or 4&6

7 needs ground.

Reactions: Lady01 and CMB
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For a winch in/out switch.
Usually post 2 or 5 or sometimes jumped to both is where the input power goes. This should be key-on.

You will have 2 output wires for the winch control. Usually on 1&3 or 4&6

7 needs ground.

My '21 SE came with an always on wired remote (plugs in inside glove box), no panel mount winch switch. I moved all that to the new Aux battery. I added a wireless remote powered through a small rocker disable switch on the panel (so RF interference could not cause undesired winch operation. This all allows the winch to operate with engine running to help provide winch power, or off if the situation doesn't allow engine operation. I'd be concerned if winch operation required key-on power. Even key-on with engine off, as that also wastes battery power on the on-board computer/electronics etc.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
My '21 SE came with an always on wired remote (plugs in inside glove box), no panel mount winch switch. I moved all that to the new Aux battery. I also installed a wireless remote with power to that through a small rocker disable switch on the panel (so no interference could cause undesired winch operation. This all allows the winch to operate with engine running to help provide winch power, or off if the situation doesn't allow engine operation. I'd be concerned if winch operation required key-on power. Even key-on with engine off, as that also wastes battery power on the on-board computer/electronics etc.
Keyed power is the recommendation by all winch manufactures.

If your SE came pre-installed always hot, then it was installed against Hondas direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keyed power is the recommendation by all winch manufactures.

If your SE came pre-installed that way then it was installed against Hondas direction.

The '21 LE and SE come from the factory with the winch already installed, not installed by the dealer (at least that's my understanding). Delivered with contactor directly wired to battery. No panel switch, no lights. To use, you plugged the included wired remote into receptacle in glove box. Said wired remote only allowed one to reach the front to guide line back on drum - no further.

I may be missing something, as I see no advantage in requiring key-on to operate the winch. Though obviously if there's a panel mount switch or wireless receiver (such as I have), there would need to be a disable switch to prevent inadvertent winch operation.

I believe there's an advantage in not requiring key-on to operate the winch. If the engine can be run, that's best of course, as that'll help some with the electrical load. If the engine cannot be run, for whatever reason, then "key on" simply wastes main battery power. Avoiding the need for key-on, in order to winch, also eliminates that potential point of failure. Winching could still be available in the event that key-on doesn't work.

Reactions: Hawk53
advertisement
Dordon

Dordon

May 24, 2021
Eastern Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the switch I believe is not correctly wired but it works I just need to make it key-on powered. The red power wire on the switch is constant hot but the red wire in picture 2 is connected to the key-on power.

Screenshot 4 Screenshot 5

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is the switch I believe is not correctly wired but it works I just need to make it key-on powered. The red power wire on the switch is constant hot but the red wire in picture 2 is connected to the key-on power.

View attachment 334673 View attachment 334675
Ya.. IDK.
Your going to have to trace it out and relocate it.
Or, cut it off, tape it off, and run a new wire.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Oh.. your switch does looked wired correctly.
Assuming the white wire is a ground.
Green and black are usually the winch control wires.
Red jumps to 3 post for switch lighting and power.

Last edited: