Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey

I bought a few things from the forum recently-
  1. Viper UTV Winch - Elite Widespool
  2. TrueAm UTV-SBI-18CM UTV Dual Battery Isolator Kit
  3. KEY ON ACC POWER Harness for Honda Pioneer 1000
And I'm planning to install tomorrow.

I also have a street legal LE that has already had a bunch of electronic work done to it by the dealer like installing a horn/turn signals etc so I'm not sure what is standard and what is not.

Le

I've got 2 questions-

1) Should I use the key on acc power harness from the forum or in the photo do you see a more suitable place to take the 12v? I don't think the grey 40a boxes are standard?

2) Looking at the winch install instructions - I don't see any reference to connecting a ground but I assume I would connect a ground from somewhere to the blue wrapped cable?

Thanks for your time!

Reactions: DanDan and TripleB
J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hibbert... I would test the key on acc harness first. If it works, you are good to go. I tapped into the 15 amp aux output from the fuse box since this was easier to do before installing the second battery. I recommend putting a strap on the second battery for easier removal and placing a rubber mat under the battery. My factory installed winch is key on only even though the relay is now powered off the aux battery. A grey "fuse" is present on my unit. I needed to purchase two extra long runs of battery cable to go _directly_ from the aux battery to the winch relay. I connected the blue tape ground to the second battery. There are lots of photos and diagrams that have been posted on this forum.

Final

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Use the key on harness. It’s clean and ez. The blue taped wire is what I used for second battery ground. I just ran winch to second battery.

Reactions: TripleB
H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Use the key on harness. It’s clean and ez. The blue taped wire is what I used for second battery ground. I just ran winch to second battery.

So black negative winch cable to black negative terminal on second battery.

Then black negative terminal on second battery to the blue taped ground?

And that's the only "grounding" I need to worry about? Do the switches need grounding?

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The blue taped wire will reach the second battery spot under hood if you work with it so i have mine going directly to 2nd battery. If you have yours in a dif location you may have to do that.
If your switch is not lit it shouldn’t need a ground. My unlit winch switch from harbor freight only had three wires. Power in and two going to winch solenoid one is in one is out. If the switch is lit it will have to have a ground for that. Even if it is lit the switch should still run the winch but it just won’t light up without the ground.

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so if I need to ground the switch - I can ground it on the blue taped ground along with the second battery?

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok so if I need to ground the switch - I can ground it on the blue taped ground along with the second battery?
Yes that should work. I have a second fuse box and all of my switches are run through it. It helps with making the smaller connections.

Reactions: Smitty335