P1000 Winch drawing to much battery power?

J

JoshBoom95

Jul 28, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi guys so i own a Honda pioneer 1000-3. I bought it in December of 2015. I put a winch on the machine in February 16. The winch is the one you get through Honda same with winch mount. Every time i use the winch to pull another ATV or sxs out it instantly starts messing with when the clutch grabs to finally go. What i mean by that is once im done pulling the other ATV or sxs out and i drive some more like the whole transmission is messed up like it revs up to about 2500rpm before it finally grabs to go and shifting points are really messed up. Even if i just wind the winch out and wind the winch back it will also cause this problem. I have had Honda replace the clutches in it once as they thought that was the initial problem which I thought was to. Also my brother has a pioneer 1000-3 with winch and his does the same exact thing. He also has had both clutches replaced. If I let it sit overnight and start it up next day it works like new. So i think it has something to do with winch drawing to much power and maybe putting the computer into like a safe mode but then it resets like overnight. I'm not sure what it is. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem or anything similar? Any information or feedback will be much appreciated.

Josh

Reactions: dotman1
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I agree it doesn't sound like a clutch issue. Have you checked all the grounds? Did you use the ground they send with the Honda kit all the way back to the motor or did you ground it at the battery? I thinks it is either a loose ground or if you didn't run the ground all the way back it might be pulling to much at that time for the size ground that's up there. Not sure if I am making sense....I know a lot of people didn't run a ground all the way back...I did!

Reactions: dotman1
J

JoshBoom95

Jul 28, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
its grounded at the battery. Do you think I should try grounding it where they want it and see what happens?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ground was my first thought, too. I would definitely ground it at least to the chassis. The motor ground would be even better. I ran mine back to the motor and haven't had any issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

J

JoshBoom95

Jul 28, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Alright I'll give that a try I'll ground it at the motor and see how it works. Appreciate the responses. I'll let you all know how it works.

J

Just4fun

Jul 27, 2016
Gulf coast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just bought a 1000-3 and had dealer install Hondas wiring harness and winch with mount. The ground was routed to rear of engine where Honda recommends it be grounded. Haven't used it yet so I'm curious if this fixes his problem.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I grounded my winch to the frame under the hood, and have not experienced this problem.

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright I'll give that a try I'll ground it at the motor and see how it works. Appreciate the responses. I'll let you all know how it works.

Did changing your ground help?

J

JoshBoom95

Jul 28, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes sorry it has taken so long to reply back but Ive gotten a chance to change the ground location to where Honda wanted it originally and it does solve my problem. Thanks for all your fast replies.

D

dillonhart

Jun 10, 2016
shreveport, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Along this line, my ground runs into a big group of wires under the hood headed towards the frame. I haven't been able to easily locate where exactly the ground is. Any tips?? I have experienced similar on hard winching. I have started putting together a second battery setup to help with this also, but any pointers will help.

advertisement
A

Acdccontrols

Aug 12, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did the exact same thing when winching, the winch draws the battery down enough that the solenoids for the transmission don't operate properly. As soon as I'm done winching the machine works fine, thinking of installing a second battery with an isolator so I don't have this problem anymore.

Reactions: joeymt33
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Along this line, my ground runs into a big group of wires under the hood headed towards the frame. I haven't been able to easily locate where exactly the ground is. Any tips?? I have experienced similar on hard winching. I have started putting together a second battery setup to help with this also, but any pointers will help.
That's the main wiring harness.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did the exact same thing when winching, the winch draws the battery down enough that the solenoids for the transmission don't operate properly. As soon as I'm done winching the machine works fine, thinking of installing a second battery with an isolator so I don't have this problem anymore.
Where is your winch grounded?

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hmmm. I have my ground going directly to the battery. Have used winch a few times and have not experienced any concerns. Not sure why it would be better to ground to the engine instead of battery. Makes me wonder if the engine ground was already a concern, then when winch ground was added to that point it made a better connection? I will pay attention to mine with use and see if it starts to bother. Glad it fixed your machine though!! :)