P1000m5 Whoops

tapakegovagnaps

tapakegovagnaps

Oct 6, 2016
NVA
Installed my lift the other night.

Took it for a second test ride.

Came to a culvert, so i put it in low, up and over as usual. Then we took of in a field at top speed, then noticed hesitation as I was about to let off.

Looked at my passenger and thought wtf?

Turned around and did it again, felt the hesitation while wide open, didn't sound great either.

I slowed down while screaming and thinking about warranty.....only to realize I'm an idiot and left it in low and was hitting the limiter!

So stupid, hopefully i didn't screw anything up!

Drove normally in high, as expected.

Don't make the same mistake!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Came to a culvert, so i put it in low, up and over as usual. Then we took of in a field at top speed, then noticed hesitation as I was about to let off.

Turned around and did it again, felt the hesitation while wide open, didn't sound great either.

I slowed down while screaming and thinking about warranty.....only to realize I'm an idiot and left it in low and was hitting the limiter!

Haha your fine that stuff happens all the time. The rev limiter protected the engine.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Just like Sharp said rev limiter protected. Definitely don't want to bounce off of it all the time but that's what it's for. You're good!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hit mine within first hour of use. Didn't realize there was a slight delay when shifting in manual. So I ran it to redline before hitting the paddles lol. Hitting the limiter with engine under a load is harmless. It's those idiots hitting it while sitting still that jack stuff up lol

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't hit the limiter yet, if all goes as planned I will get a few more miles on it and possibly an oil change before I take it there! However, I don't think it hurts the system. I remember back in my Gold Wing days I visited the factory twice up in Maryville, OH - they would crank on those Gold Wings before draining the oil and prepping them for shipment to the dealership.

Reactions: pct and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't hit the limiter yet, if all goes as planned I will get a few more miles on it and possibly an oil change before I take it there! However, I don't think it hurts the system. I remember back in my Gold Wing days I visited the factory twice up in Maryville, OH - they would crank on those Gold Wings before draining the oil and prepping them for shipment to the dealership.
Yeah but back then a Goldwing's rev limit was somewhere around 5K lmao. We had a couple of 84's come in shop I worked at with the dreaded stator problem. 10 mins to replace stator but several hours to remove engine lol

Reactions: Manwell
advertisement
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah but back then a Goldwing's rev limit was somewhere around 5K lmao. We had a couple of 84's come in shop I worked at with the dreaded stator problem. 10 mins to replace stator but several hours to remove engine lol
I get it... But my point is everyone would baby the machines until they got mileage on them. Honda would be rocking them right out of the crate!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get it... But my point is everyone would baby the machines until they got mileage on them. Honda would be rocking them right out of the crate!
That's cause they built them right. After I freshened my race bike up with rings and rod bolts, I'd put it through 4 or 5 good heat cycles, then back that b*tch into the water box. Not an advocate of babying until broken in lol.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hit mine within first hour of use. Didn't realize there was a slight delay when shifting in manual. So I ran it to redline before hitting the paddles lol. Hitting the limiter with engine under a load is harmless. It's those idiots hitting it while sitting still that jack stuff up lol

The rev limiter functions the same regardless of engine load.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not true. Engine will turn quite a bit more rpm without a load than with. Sitting still on the limiter is very good way of breaking something.
After reading my reply, I realized it's wrong. Yes limiter functions the same. It just doesn't limit rpms anywhere near as well as under a load. And it's way more likely to cause damage. Usually floating a valve (for starters).

Reactions: pct and DGann
advertisement