P1000 Who has a dual battery setup?

J

JTW

Who here is using a dual battery setup and which battery are you using..

How many cold cranking amps?

Have you had any power issues running lights, stereo and/or winch?

Reactions: dotman1 and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Umm... everyone... lol.

Odyssey 925:
Odyssey PC925 series

No issues at all.

Adc15a6354ea677ad3b6f8aa67288b77

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No issues with the duty cycle after heavy winching?
I've only had to winch out once. I'm the type that would rather drive around the mud hole when I'm 40 miles away from the truck. I avoid them and the muskeg when I can. I guess I'm not the best person to ask about that.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's not a lot of trees where I go... lol. That's why my next tool I will carry on the machine is a pull pal.

Reactions: JTW and Eltobgi
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the True battery isolator like the one in post 2 glowing in blue. I forgot the name of the battery but I think it's a deka brand. I've never had any problems.

Reactions: JTW and AKRider
RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a dual battery setup with the true isolator... I'm not sure why your worked about CCA, the amp hours is what determines how long the battery will last, length of time. I have a deep cycle marine battery under the driver seat, it is 106amp/h battery.

Amazon.com: True UTV-SBI-15 Smart Isolator for UTVs: Automotive

That's the link for the isolator.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and AKRider
advertisement
J

JTW

I have a dual battery setup with the true isolator... I'm not sure why your worked about CCA, the amp hours is what determines how long the battery will last, length of time. I have a deep cycle marine battery under the driver seat, it is 106amp/h battery.

Amazon.com: True UTV-SBI-15 Smart Isolator for UTVs: Automotive

That's the link for the isolator.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Basically, my question boils down to do I go with the oddessy battery like many others, under the hood, or something else under the seat.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Basically, my question boils down to do I go with the oddessy battery like many others, under the hood, or something else under the seat.

The way I see it is that would be a personal preference thing. I wanted to keep the area under the seat open for my tools and tire repair stuff. Things I wouldn't necessarily use all the time but are a must have on the machine. I use dry bags for them. I also wanted to keep as much of the electrical stuff as I could under the hood.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
J

JTW

The way I see it is that would be a personal preference thing. I wanted to keep the area under the seat open for my tools and tire repair stuff. Things I wouldn't necessarily use all the time but are a must have on the machine. I use dry bags for them. I also wanted to keep as much of the electrical stuff as I could under the hood.
That has been my thought process.. I just didn't want to realize I had been thinking wrong!

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That has been my thought process.. I just didn't want to realize I had been thinking wrong!

There's never a wrong thought... although there are some really wild and crazy idea's here that turn into some fabulous modifications :)

Reactions: dotman1 and JTW
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My under the seat option was to make more room under the hood for the fuse / relay panel... worked out great and I still have storage under the drives seat after the battery installation.

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I am noticing that everyone seems to be using the Odyssey battery. Is there a reason? The reason I ask is because up here in Fairbanks, I can not find one. Is the Odyssey that much better or would I be ok just using a comparable battery from like NAPA or Autozone. I looked at ordering a Odyssey battery online but the shipping to Alaska is either not an option or very expensive.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I am noticing that everyone seems to be using the Odyssey battery. Is there a reason? The reason I ask is because up here in Fairbanks, I can not find one. Is the Odyssey that much better or would I be ok just using a comparable battery from like NAPA or Autozone. I looked at ordering a Odyssey battery online but the shipping to Alaska is either not an option or very expensive.
I found mine at Batteries Plus. The one up there could probably order one for you. You don't really need an Odyssey. As long as you have one comparable, and it is AGM. Many say that your batteries should be the same type and age. I don't necessarily agree with that. As long as they are comparable you should be good.

Nobody will ship batteries up here because they can't go by plane. They get barged up here.

Reactions: sharp
Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found mine at Batteries Plus. The one up there could probably order one for you. You don't really need an Odyssey. As long as you have one comparable, and it is AGM. Many say that your batteries should be the same type and age. I don't necessarily agree with that. As long as they are comparable you should be good.

Nobody will ship batteries up here because they can't go by plane. They get barged up here.
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the answer

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, I was hoping that would be the answer
I have the Odyssey with the original battery and haven't had any issues. I use the True UTV-SBI-15CM isolator kit, along with the Cooper Bussman relay/fuse box. I have a diagram on my build page of the wiring I have so far.

Here's a link to it if you want to check it out. Scroll down the page until you see it.

Akriders Build

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Odyssey with the original battery and haven't had any issues. I use the True UTV-SBI-15CM isolator kit, along with the Cooper Bussman relay/fuse box. I have a diagram on my build page of the wiring I have so far.

Here's a link to it if you want to check it out. Scroll down the page until you see it.

Akriders Build
Im going to check your build out now. After reading this, I am confused. I looked at the resource page and it suggested using a UTV-SBI-15CK. Does it matter that your suggestion says CM. Sorry, this is all very foreign to me and im kind of flying by the seat of my pants.

advertisement