P1000 Which wheels...

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which wheels?
I can get the 14" steel bullet holes for $42/ea and the 14" Aluminum for $60/ea.
I kind of like the steels as the aluminum would most likely get beat up on rocks.
Aluminum looks cool though...
They are 4x137mm... I still don't know how 1mm does not matter in bolt pattern. Would it not torque/ bend the lugs 1/2mm ea? May be over thinking this...
IMG 20160816 152612536
IMG 20160816 152535181

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I prefer the aluminum wheels from an aesthetic standpoint. I understand your reasoning on why the steel wheels make sense.

My wheels are 4/137. I think most guys with aftermarket wheels on their P1K have 4/137.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wish I'd known about those bullet holes when I was looking for wheels. I wanted the cheapest I could find. If you ride Bull Run, you will get some eat up wheels. I gouged the heck out of 2 of mine on their first trip. The trick is to realize it's just going to happen before it really does. I told wife before I ever bought machine what I was going to do with it. It wont be gently ridden on gravel or dirt roads. Imo those are just paths that take me to the real trails lol. Picking wheels was the hardest decision I've made so far. I wish you luck.

Reactions: 500
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I personally only like beadlocks, and since you stated getting beat up on the rocks I know you are taking some sidewall licks. Blowing a bead way out in the middle of no where sucks. Just something to think about.

Reactions: joeymt33 and 500
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally only like beadlocks, and since you stated getting beat up on the rocks I know you are taking some sidewall licks. Blowing a bead way out in the middle of no where sucks. Just something to think about.
Good point. Maybe a future purchase. Haven't seen any sidewall damage at all so far. Definitely chose the right tires lol. I did get some debris in bead resulting in a flat after getting home. From sliding sideways into a ravine. Beadlocks would've saved me on that one

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Which wheels?
I can get the 14" steel bullet holes for $42/ea and the 14" Aluminum for $60/ea.
I kind of like the steels as the aluminum would most likely get beat up on rocks.
Aluminum looks cool though...
They are 4x137mm... I still don't know how 1mm does not matter in bolt pattern. Would it not torque/ bend the lugs 1/2mm ea? May be over thinking this...View attachment 20308 View attachment 20309
Where did you find the wheels @500? I'm interested in either for road use.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
aluminum wheels should come with a lifetime warranty, and a 1 year paint warranty.

i dont care at all about paint but to each his own.

but that lifetime warranty i believe means that if you do beat it on a rock and chip or break it, they will replace it. steel bends pretty easy, so we always used that because if you do blow a rim you can fix it on the trail with a hammer and vice grips.

i just got my first aluminum and plan on carrying a spare in case something does happen, but i seriuosly doubt you can hurt these wheels without really really reaaaallllyyyyy messing something wayyyy more important up. to break this you would probably have to tear an a arm off or something drastic.

i love my msa vibes, and they really arent a whole lot more. my buddy has itps and they are around 90.

personally, i say get whatever makes you happy. get what you think looks the best. you probably wont ever buy wheels again, so an extra 30 per doesnt really matter to me. buy once cry once.

also, a note on beadlocks. if you run your tires at a low pressure and do lots of heavy rock, probably not a bad plan.

if you run your tires at a regular or high pressure like i do, the chance of blowing a bead before blowing a sidewall is like 1 to 99. if you plan on actually having air in your tires I dont think beadlocks are worth any extra cost, because you wont ever use them.

Reactions: drfubar
M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
Sti beadlocks. U can replace the bead lock ring on the out side for 20$. Mine r beat. My inner wheels are perfect.

advertisement

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
where did you find those at I'm looking for some 14" steel wheels
I believe from what I have researched the hub bore would be too large - and since the center caps on the steelies are rear slide-ins - they wouldn't seat properly.

Reactions: drfubar