Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone around Gastonia, NC.??
I’ve found 5x10’ black 1/2” uhmw for $448 a sheet!! Shipping is estimated @ $160 to here. So I just figured I’d check and see.
That's cheap mine was $640

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@ToddACimer made do with 4x8. Why you need to be so special?
Todd did a great job on his. After having mine in Arkansas I'll say 1 piece is definitely the way to go. There's no seams to snag and the bottom has a nice slight curve to it. I also let it hang out the sides 1 inch to act as a rub rail. It slides over everything extremely well! It's amazing.

J

JTW

Todd did a great job on his. After having mine in Arkansas I'll say 1 piece is definitely better. There's no seams to snag and the bottom has a nice slight curve to it. I also let it hang out the sides 1 inch to act as a rub rail. It slides over everything extremely well! It's amazing.

Anything you’d do different?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anything you’d do different?

Not much. I still need to drill a few drain holes for water. Other than that, I would've used a router and rounded over all the edges. The square edges are actually kind of sharp because the plastic is so damn hard.

Next time I have it off I will probably take the router to it. I think it would look a little nicer too.

J

JTW

Not much. I still need to drill a few drain holes for water. Other than that, I would've used a router and rounded over all the edges. The square edges are actually kind of sharp because the plastic is so damn hard.

Next time I have it off I will probably take the router to it. I think it would look a little nicer too.
That was my thoughts.. my machinest buddy suggested radius corners to help alleviate potential cracking

Reactions: lee
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found dragging a deburring tool or razor blade along the edge will clean up along any cut lines. Then go over it with a heat gun or torch and the edge will cool with a nice radius

Reactions: Plumber32
advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was my thoughts.. my machinest buddy suggested radius corners to help alleviate potential cracking

I found a Unibit to be great for that. Mark your cut lines and drill out your corners with the unibit. It makes a nice radiused corner of any diameter you want and it gums up less than a hole saw because it only has 1 cutting edge. If you're sawing a very coarse blade is best

Reactions: JTW and Cuoutdoors
J

JTW

I found a Unibit to be great for that. Mark your cut lines and drill out your corners with the unibit. It makes a nice radiused corner of any diameter you want and it gums up less than a hole saw because it only has 1 cutting edge. If you're sawing a very coarse blade is best
That’s a good idea... I was thinking router to get my corners but this will way be easier!

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Shame it’s only 48” wide..
I got a 4 ft by 8 ft 1/4” for 50 dollars at our local Menards store. I am going to
Use factory skid for template and then bolt the one I make underneath factory one whic should give me a 1/2 “ skid plate. I am going to try using my jigsaw to cut it and see how that works out.

Reactions: Eltobgi and pct
J

JTW

I got a 4 ft by 8 ft 1/4” for 50 dollars at our local Menards store. I am going to
Use factory skid for template and then bolt the one I make underneath factory one whic should give me a 1/2 “ skid plate. I am going to try using my jigsaw to cut it and see how that works out.
UHMW??

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Reactions: pct and JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Menards does not sell UHMW.

Reactions: JTW
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
HPDE specs are not as good as UHMW, but it will still surprise you how good it is for the money.

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are right i got HDPE. Sorry for that. It seems like the same as what the stock honda skid plate
That came on the machine is made from but now not sure about that. Guess I will find out how it holds up.

Reactions: pct
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
You could also double it up.

advertisement