P1000 Whats up with all the wasted space under drivers seat?

M

Mpmitch1

Jan 1, 2017
Madison
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why is isn't this sealed and made for storage? It would hold a 12 pack! Have there been any mods turning this into storage?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why is isn't this sealed and made for storage? It would hold a 12 pack! Have there been any mods turning this into storage?

Honda has actually made an insert for this area on the 2017's. Not sure if it's available on all the models, though. I use this space for tools and tire repair stuff utilizing dry bags.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some people have put a accessory battery down there.

Reactions: AKRider
M

Mpmitch1

Jan 1, 2017
Madison
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda has actually made an insert for this area on the 2017's. Not sure if it's available on all the models, though. I use this space for tools and tire repair stuff utilizing dry bags.
Are you saying the stock tool set, same as the last 30 yrs, is not adequate? At a minimum honda should include a tab puller considering how many one must pull!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you saying the stock tool set, same as the last 30 yrs, is not adequate? At a minimum honda should include a tab puller considering how many one must pull!

Hahaha...

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Polaris pliers have the tab puller. I still have a set. And I have the Honda pliers that are over 40 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use this space for trail essentials as Dasmoeturhead described above. I like the idea of an insert to keep water and mud out. Will have to see if '17 model is available as an accessory. Or make one

Reactions: JTW and sharp
J

JTW

I use this space for trail essentials as Dasmoeturhead described above. I like the idea of an insert to keep water and mud out. Will have to see if '17 model is available as an accessory. Or make one

I was thinking of a waterproof bag but a box would be nice.. A sealing lid will be difficult though.

Reactions: Corona1 and Ridem32
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking of a waterproof bag but a box would be nice.. A sealing lid will be difficult though.

Agreed. A project for another time. Need to finish up a few others first.

Reactions: JTW
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a second battery there but there is still room for storage and I have planned to do so, just haven't done it yet!

Hrdman

Hrdman

Sep 21, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I simply found a rubber maid waste bin that fits very well, a few cuts to go around the rectifier and cables, drilled a hole in bottom for drainage and pack my tools, tire repair kit, pump, winch accessories, cables, snatch block and shackles in dry bags. since you hope not to use these items too often and don't need to access them all the time simple and effective. Remember it gets hot under the seat so as a beer cooler not to effective.

Reactions: Corona1 and sharp
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I simply found a rubber maid waste bin that fits very well, a few cuts to go around the rectifier and cables, drilled a hole in bottom for drainage and pack my tools, tire repair kit, pump, winch accessories, cables, snatch block and shackles in dry bags. since you hope not to use these items too often and don't need to access them all the time simple and effective. Remember it gets hot under the seat so as a beer cooler not to effective.

Excellent idea and good point on the not so effective beer cooler.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement