Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think they are asking what do others carry to help winch out when there isn't a tree nearby
Ohhhh well why didn't they say so! Lol. Its was like a 100acre noamable.
ok ill bite…anything you can! Judt have to get creative. Real world situations are hard to beat.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if there isn't a winch point nearby i don't try to go through.period.
Yeah, that's me as well. Right behind choosing a path is availability of winch points, or at least another machine.

I've watched those guys with the bigass land anchors. While cool, I'm not carting one around.

I'm not sure anything less would work. He's referring to a boat sand anchor. It may work in light duty, but I wouldn't bank on it.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got 50' of winch line, (2) 20' straps with clevices, and a backup 50' winch line I can pull out if needed. In my environment, there's generally a tree within that reach.

advertisement
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Boat anchor works good. We used one at work to winch out a 20,000 pound offroad drill rig. Yea it was a big boat anchor. I don't carry anything extra like that on my pioneer. Always trees near by or another machine.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An anchor, even a Danforth type, is a lot of weight to haul around for a single purpose tool. Wondering is using a shovel , one that's stout, like the one I just bought linked below, and a fab'd clamp on pull-arm to hold the blade at the right angle, would be suitable:

stainless shovel

The shovel handle socket is solid, without the typical slot up the backside, so should be rigid and strong enough.

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got 50' of winch line, (2) 20' straps with clevices, and a backup 50' winch line I can pull out if needed. In my environment, there's generally a tree within that reach.
That, my friends, is a whole lot of line to reach out and save someone.

In parts of southern Utah, you'll need another 1,000 feet of winch line, an Aussie anchor, and a Ham Radio. You use the 1,000 feet of wire to rig up a long-distance antenna, grounded to the anchor, and then you try to radio someone in Siberia who understands English and can relay a message back to Utah that you're stuck.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been on a few old mining and oil exploration roads that scare the bejeezus out of sane folks, like me. Some of them had permanent winch anchors drilled into the slickrock because you couldn't get up without a winch. They were made and used in the day when winch motors/gears, wire rope--and all attachments, were questionable, you had to help climb with a manual transmission, and there were no remotes. They pulled up dozers (metal cleats on rock do slide) and drill rigs. They now look down on tapping in your own anchors, so I don't know how to deal with the round slickrock if you need an anchor point for a winch.

I've also been stuck in the sand and pulled a buncha people out. Before you think you can bury a tire/hi-lift/set-of-car-keys in the sand and winch a stuck vehicle out, you should test the theory with a friend in another vehicle nearby. To help my amigos who might travel here, wet sand is fantastic. It makes a smooth, easy ride. When it's dry, the red sand will likely get you stuck and the white sand will likely swallow your vehicle. Think of it as trying to drive through a swimming pool full of flour.

I

Ingfam

Apr 13, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
StewB, the southern Utah sand is a puzzle for sure. I sure you know this better than me but air down your tires and you will be amazed.

Reactions: Lady01 and StewB
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That, my friends, is a whole lot of line to reach out and save someone.

In parts of southern Utah, you'll need another 1,000 feet of winch line, an Aussie anchor, and a Ham Radio. You use the 1,000 feet of wire to rig up a long-distance antenna, grounded to the anchor, and then you try to radio someone in Siberia who understands English and can relay a message back to Utah that you're stuck.
Call Matt's Rescue and Recovery..(;)

advertisement