Multi Western Canada Ride

R

rickoshea

Pretty much same here. If it works out #1 son is taking copilot and I out for Kok's tomorrow unless it's as hot and smoky as today then that gets pushed back for good weather. Poor guy is required to work for a living. How big are the lake trout (Macks) in your lake Rick? Should we bring a boat?
an old feller pulled a 17 pounder out thru the ice last winter.lots of tasty,tasty burbot too.boat? nah.

Reactions: Rayger143
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
All fishing aside.... ;)

I'm really excited about this. I'm going to start prepping a trailer for a week long adventure. It will be fine if it is only 4 or so days.

What hoops do we need to do to travel on our UTVs and be legal?

Rob

R

rickoshea

All fishing aside.... ;)

I'm really excited about this. I'm going to start prepping a trailer for a week long adventure. It will be fine if it is only 4 or so days.

Rob
they need to be registered and liability insured to travel on crown land.https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/crown-land-water/crown-land/crown-land-uses/off-road-vehicles.forest service road liability is mandatory,crown is voluntary.if you're registered in your state/province you're good.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
they need to be registered and liability insured to travel on crown land.https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/crown-land-water/crown-land/crown-land-uses/off-road-vehicles
And you might need a temp rider from your insurance co. to cover you in Canada? I had to get one every Summer we went fishing in Canada?

R

rickoshea

And you might need a temp rider from your insurance co. to cover you in Canada? I had to get one every Summer we went fishing in Canada?
i don't believe you do,but don't quote me.B.C insurance is provincially controlled and is a nightmare. proof of ownership and ins. papers should be all you need.health ins. rider would be advisable tho'

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
All fishing aside.... ;)

Rob
What kind of trailer?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I am starting a thread to see how much interest there would be for members to come north of the border for a ride. I am located in the Okanagan Valley in a small town between Kelowna and Vernon BC called Winfield. I know the area like the back of my hand around here and would be willing to take a group out. Combination of Forest Service Roads and trails. It is a long way to travel for most members but if there is enough interest we could explore the idea of riding somewhere else in BC with a lot more scenery and history on the trails. One day trips or 3-5 day treks? @rickoshea has mentioned a few ideas that sound very interesting. @Montecresto and @crewcabrob seem to be interested and I know that @CumminsPusher and @lowrider are not too far south. I am attaching a couple links of ideas. If there is interest we will probably plan for next July or August.

What’s the best time of year, avoid the heat and the mosquitoes if that’s doable?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
What kind of trailer?
I'm planning on building an overlanding trailer this winter and spring that is small and light enough to pull behind the P520. Max towable is 1000 pounds. I'm shooting for a 650-700lb build so I have the capacity to carry food, water, fuel and supplies for a week. Still in the planning phase.

My parameters besides the weight are:
  • Not more than 60" wide. I really want to make the trailer width the same as my P520 which is now less than 55"
  • Interchangeable wheel/tire with my P520
  • Made out of aluminum
  • Lots of storage.
  • Either a RTT (roof top tent) or sleeping capacity for two adults and maybe a dog
I will likely not put slides on the trailer as they just eat up my valuable weight goal. I won't have the budget for 270 batwing awnings, full kitchens or built in water heaters... I would rather use my money on good batteries with solar and re-use my backpacking equipment to fill in for all of the necessary things we need.

Keeping the build weight down with aluminum and likely some fiberglass composite panels should work. Most of the big overlanding trailers run really heavy, but they have huge wheel/tires that weigh a lot as well as a lot of steel. Huge slide out kitchens with fridges and water tanks that hold 30 gallons are just not part of this build. And to be honest, there are some really good trailers out there if I wanted to tow one with my Land Rover Defender.

Very little is out there for the under 60" crowd. If you know of something, please let me know and I will check it out.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm planning on building an overlanding trailer this winter and spring that is small and light enough to pull behind the P520. Max towable is 1000 pounds. I'm shooting for a 650-700lb build so I have the capacity to carry food, water, fuel and supplies for a week. Still in the planning phase.

My parameters besides the weight are:
  • Not more than 60" wide. I really want to make the trailer width the same as my P520 which is now less than 55"
  • Interchangeable wheel/tire with my P520
  • Made out of aluminum
  • Lots of storage.
  • Either a RTT (roof top tent) or sleeping capacity for two adults and maybe a dog
I will likely not put slides on the trailer as they just eat up my valuable weight goal. I won't have the budget for 270 batwing awnings, full kitchens or built in water heaters... I would rather use my money on good batteries with solar and re-use my backpacking equipment to fill in for all of the necessary things we need.

Keeping the build weight down with aluminum and likely some fiberglass composite panels should work. Most of the big overlanding trailers run really heavy, but they have huge wheel/tires that weigh a lot as well as a lot of steel. Huge slide out kitchens with fridges and water tanks that hold 30 gallons are just not part of this build. And to be honest, there are some really good trailers out there if I wanted to tow one with my Land Rover Defender.

Very little is out there for the under 60" crowd. If you know of something, please let me know and I will check it out.

Rob
Hmmm. Not sure that’s a good plan Rob. The trailer and weight you describe is what I’m pulling, I believe it would be taxing on a 500. We also need information from Rick and Rayger about trail conditions, whether or not we’d even be able to pull trailers on the trails they have in mind for this….🤔

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hmmm. Not sure that’s a good plan Rob. The trailer and weight you describe is what I’m pulling, I believe it would be taxing on a 500. We also need information from Rick and Rayger about trail conditions, whether or not we’d even be able to pull trailers on the trails they have in mind for this

The Rim Rocker event got me thinking about a way to get enough supplies and security for my wife to attend. It kind of spiraled from there to a true Overland trailer. I originally thought maybe I could build a trailer that would weight less than 500, which would put me in the 750-800 pound range with supplies. I’m not sure I can make something durable enough at that weight.
I agree we may need to know more about the actual route.

Rob

advertisement
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hmmm. Not sure that’s a good plan Rob. The trailer and weight you describe is what I’m pulling, I believe it would be taxing on a 500. We also need information from Rick and Rayger about trail conditions, whether or not we’d even be able to pull trailers on the trails they have in mind for this….🤔
And I guess I don’t know what Pioneer you have.
Rob

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think early July would be best. All depends where we decide to go on the trails. Too early and we might hit snow at the high elevations. If we go too late I agree with Rick. We might run into campfire bans, smoke, heat and the fishin aint as good. I never worry about mosquitos.

Reactions: crewcabrob
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is he going to do the casting and reeling in the Kok’s for ya…..
No...this is trolling. We run 4 or 6 lines at as close as we can get to 2.5 mph at 8 to 20 feet deep. I supervise and provide morale support when nothing bites. If that happens we resort to the downriggers and look for something down deeper. I'm searching for a way to fly fish this fall depending upon how my shoulder is doing...I'm thinking I'll be fine by late Sep....we'll see.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
well,your choice is mosquitos and long days and good fishing in june/july or extreme heat and forest fires and campfire bans in aug./sept.dealers choice
And black flies and no see ems? I still have my AK skeeter net hats...somewhere. Open camp fire is not that important to me but not getting into smoke and forest fires is.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
well,your choice is mosquitos and long days and good fishing in june/july or extreme heat and forest fires and campfire bans in aug./sept.dealers choice
And April/May? It’s not camping if no campfire……🤔

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
The Rim Rocker event got me thinking about a way to get enough supplies and security for my wife to attend. It kind of spiraled from there to a true Overland trailer. I originally thought maybe I could build a trailer that would weight less than 500, which would put me in the 750-800 pound range with supplies. I’m not sure I can make something durable enough at that weight.

Rob
I built a steel frame with 3/4" plywood body that is 5' x 5' x 40" high and it weighs around 500 with 15" tires. There are pictures of it under construction somewhere I think in the weather thread. I asked Caper to post since I'm not smart enough to post pictures. If yo can't find that send me a text and I can forward them to you...I am smart enough to do that. Mine has foldout top to 8' wide to allow a 2 person tent to be set up. I felt at RTT was too heavy and really didn't gain much for me. I really like to use a hammock anyway if there are trees which is not a problem in BC.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Rob
My trailer is 650 lbs and I estimate 1000 loaded. I agree with you about the comfort and security for mama. Have you seen my trailer?
And I will certainly have to research the trail that is decided upon, view videos from others who have traveled it, and hear their comments on trail conditions before I would know if I could take my trailer…..

advertisement