Weather Talk

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m going to Alberta on the 2nd hunting. They are supposed to get 4” of snow on Sunday. Not too cold yet.Around 20 degrees when I’m out there. They also have 2 moose tags. Should be good.
Are you having any luck.
Have a few does and fawns on camera at the camp. Got a big bobcat and a coyote right behind the camp.
Caper
Took my grandsons (9 and 11 year olds) first weekend in Oct.. They each got a doe... Oldest and I sat Saturday evening on my place behind the house... 2 close calls but no shot presented. He was using a Xbow for that hunt. Previous was my AR15 in 6.8 SPC... Both does were DRT.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Took my grandsons (9 and 11 year olds) first weekend in Oct.. They each got a doe... Oldest and I sat Saturday evening on my place behind the house... 2 close calls but no shot presented. He was using a Xbow for that hunt. Previous was my AR15 in 6.8 SPC... Both does were DRT.
We’re they excited. I know a few people I’ve taken out and got their first deer, one shook for no reason and a couple were very emotional.
Good for them. Do you cut them up yourself or take it somewhere. In Alberta we go to a mansion and he opens the garage and it’s all corian tables that fold down and a big beam across the centre of the garage with a bunch of deer hooks on it with a electric hoist for the moose. They use almost everything. No bone, no fat, no hair. Takes any gamey taste away. Blackstrap looks incredible.
Two moose tags this year
Caper

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh they've each killed several deer, but yes, they still get VERY excited! Grandpa does too!! We don't have the luxury of letting meat hang and age here because it's just too warm. I skin the deer and take 'em apart and pack the meat into food grade plastic waterproof bags and pack it in large ice chests and keep it iced down real well for at least 2 weeks before I do anything with it. Then I process the meat, vacuum seal all the good cuts, cube up the lesser cuts and take it to a local friend who is a processor and have ground meat and sausage done... My family eats at least 5 to 7 deer a year, plus a few feral hogs, doves/quail, etc... we buy very little meat at the market.
I'd LOVE to get me a moose with my bow!!

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Oh they've each killed several deer, but yes, they still get VERY excited! Grandpa does too!! We don't have the luxury of letting meat hang and age here because it's just too warm. I skin the deer and take 'em apart and pack the meat into food grade plastic waterproof bags and pack it in large ice chests and keep it iced down real well for at least 2 weeks before I do anything with it. Then I process the meat, vacuum seal all the good cuts, cube up the lesser cuts and take it to a local friend who is a processor and have ground meat and sausage done... My family eats at least 5 to 7 deer a year, plus a few feral hogs, doves/quail, etc... we buy very little meat at the market.
I'd LOVE to get me a moose with my bow!!
I’ll meet you at the Montana boarder and Alberta. 😊
Yeah these guys all grew up with no money, so they all grew up eating deer meat. Now they are oil executives, retired, or big money from real estate. They aren’t hurting. haha, but love deer. Some years we get 14 deer in a few days. Our record for processing 14 deer is 3.5 hours. We don’t let them hang, sometimes it hangs for a day or two, but most time it’s frozen solid.I’m getting as excited as your grandkids. Haha. I’ll make sure I get my bottle of 12 year old Appleton before we get to Cardston. It’s a Mennonite town. It has the big chapel they all have to visit in their lifetime. So no alcohol. Except st the farm. Haha
My dad and uncles qigong to my camp every year hunting but mostly play cards and drink all night. We knew as kids when he won money because he’d come home with a big bag of change. One year my uncle changed the propane lantern cylinder without turning it off, and a whole stack of money caught fire except for a few dollars, only half of the few bills survived. They were trouble together. Haha
But we aren’t like that.
Just hope I don’t see this grizzly he had on his cow guard into his lawn.
Caper
727CFEE9 B1B6 49D7 903C 32A65209B565

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I’ll meet you at the Montana boarder and Alberta. 😊
Yeah these guys all grew up with no money, so they all grew up eating deer meat. Now they are oil executives, retired, or big money from real estate. They aren’t hurting. haha, but love deer. Some years we get 14 deer in a few days. Our record for processing 14 deer is 3.5 hours. We don’t let them hang, sometimes it hangs for a day or two, but most time it’s frozen solid.I’m getting as excited as your grandkids. Haha. I’ll make sure I get my bottle of 12 year old Appleton before we get to Cardston. It’s a Mennonite town. It has the big chapel they all have to visit in their lifetime. So no alcohol. Except st the farm. Haha
My dad and uncles qigong to my camp every year hunting but mostly play cards and drink all night. We knew as kids when he won money because he’d come home with a big bag of change. One year my uncle changed the propane lantern cylinder without turning it off, and a whole stack of money caught fire except for a few dollars, only half of the few bills survived. They were trouble together. Haha
But we aren’t like that.
Just hope I don’t see this grizzly he had on his cow guard into his lawn.
Caper View attachment 360108View attachment 360108View attachment 360108View attachment 360108
Don’t know what happened there. Haha
But you can see right at sunrise. Right when I’d be walking to my blind.
Caper

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea, we don't have Grizz, but are starting to get a few bears back across the river from Mexico... Good luck this season Caper! We are just getting started... Will go early November for another round of killin', then back just before Christmas for a serious hunt during our rut... I do it all with a bow though... A leasemate got my target buck 2 years ago after I left the ranch... He scored 186 and change... Probably never get another opportunity like that! I got a 25 1/2" wide 10 point last year that went 167 that was 8 years old... I love trying to outsmart those old mature monarchs!

advertisement
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yea, we don't have Grizz, but are starting to get a few bears back across the river from Mexico... Good luck this season Caper! We are just getting started... Will go early November for another round of killin', then back just before Christmas for a serious hunt during our rut... I do it all with a bow though... A leasemate got my target buck 2 years ago after I left the ranch... He scored 186 and change... Probably never get another opportunity like that! I got a 25 1/2" wide 10 point last year that went 167 that was 8 years old... I love trying to outsmart those old mature monarchs!
My last time,two years ago, out west I got a 14 pt around 250lbs, hit him right on the inside of his eye, all I could see was him looking through the hawthorn at me. Hit him in the eye and shot his right antler right off. Had a b**** of a time finding it. Haha. Big boy.
Hopefully bigger this year. Haha.
Caper

advertisement