P1000 Warn Winch drained battery or did the True UTV-SBI-18 not keep the 2nd battery charged?

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a Warn 4000S that I bought back in August and used it once, yesterday and it pulled one vehicle (T-Rex) out and wound it back up, the whole spool, he was out there! Then, I was going to pull another T-Rex stuck in the mud and it pulled slower and slower till it finally stopped after about 10' of pull. I smelled an electronic smell smoke and just stopped. Ended up just using the Honda Pioneer to pull out a Kawasaki T-Rex that was sitting on 4" Portals and 33" tires in 2' of mud. Yes, I have video of it all.

Opened up the hood and I noticed my True UTV-SBI-18 light was out and my power steering was weak. Also my Wet Sounds sub woofer blue light turned red and it went off. I put a jumper cable on and was able to retract the winch synthetic wire back in.

Did the Warn pull too much Amperage/voltage too quickly, or did my Battery Isolator go and I didn't notice it wasn't working? This was in the span of about 15 minutes.

I recently had a lot of steam under the hood when my radiator gulped air and overflowed, could that have killed the battery isolator?

I have the winch 2nd battery (Odyssey PC925) on the charger today to see if the isolator light turns back on when I charge that battery back up. Another note: I never had a problem starting it or the radiator fan turning on and off while riding back in.

Reactions: Caper and sharp
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't have an answer to your question, but am trying to figure something out regarding the dual battery set up..

You jumped from the OE battery to the Aux battery, or jumped it from another machine?

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don't have an answer to your question, but am trying to figure something out regarding the dual battery set up..

You jumped from the OE battery to the Aux battery, or jumped it from another machine?
I jumped from the buss bar I installed for the auxiliary battery after the True UTV-SBI-18 isolator, the other side of the isolator and the main Honda battery worked fine. I did though however, have a slight problem with steering while attempting the pull with the winch, the steering went hard a couple of times, making me think the OEM battery was low.

New update: I charged the Odyssey battery for about 5 hours today and ran the machine for about two hours very slow riding around my place this afternoon. After shutting down the machine I heard a buzzing sound under the hood and the blue light was back on for the True isolator, it stopped and stayed on. I then shut the machine down and the battery isolator light was off again. The whole time I had the machine on this afternoon for about 2 hours, I had the Wet Sounds system on, sound bar and sub woofer.

I did a quick voltage check and had 12.5 on the Odyssey 2nd battery and the main battery was at 12.6 volts.

Reactions: Caper and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes and I raised the RPM's to 2,000 while winching.
How many seconds was the winch pulling? Been told by Warn, they aren't designed for much over a few seconds?????

advertisement
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many seconds was the winch pulling? Been told by Warn, they aren't designed for much over a few seconds?????

Well that seems useless. Winching isn’t always a quick operation... I used mine recently to pull a Jeep out of a muddy ditch and ran it under load for at least 30-45 seconds. No issues at all then or while respooling it. Honda/warn winch & oem battery only.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Warn 4000S that I bought back in August and used it once, yesterday and it pulled one vehicle (T-Rex) out and wound it back up, the whole spool, he was out there! Then, I was going to pull another T-Rex stuck in the mud and it pulled slower and slower till it finally stopped after about 10' of pull. I smelled an electronic smell smoke and just stopped. Ended up just using the Honda Pioneer to pull out a Kawasaki T-Rex that was sitting on 4" Portals and 33" tires in 2' of mud. Yes, I have video of it all.

Opened up the hood and I noticed my True UTV-SBI-18 light was out and my power steering was weak. Also my Wet Sounds sub woofer blue light turned red and it went off. I put a jumper cable on and was able to retract the winch synthetic wire back in.

Did the Warn pull too much Amperage/voltage too quickly, or did my Battery Isolator go and I didn't notice it wasn't working? This was in the span of about 15 minutes.

I recently had a lot of steam under the hood when my radiator gulped air and overflowed, could that have killed the battery isolator?

I have the winch 2nd battery (Odyssey PC925) on the charger today to see if the isolator light turns back on when I charge that battery back up. Another note: I never had a problem starting it or the radiator fan turning on and off while riding back in.
If you spooled in the entire winch under load, you simply drained the secondary battery.
Are you the type to freespool out? Or winch the line out under power?
To save voltage, try freespooling the line next time. It may save the second battery enough to use a 2nd time in 15 minutes. The capacity of your stator will not recharge your 2nd battery in 15 minutes. I would bet it would take 45 mins or more to top it off. It is just a limitation of the size of powersport batteries.

If heavy winch usage is common in your riding. I would suggest installing a large RV/Marine deep cycle battery under your seat for the 2nd battery.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Electrical is about "management" of resources, especially when out on the trail. Like Neohio mentioned, you may need to look at options if you are really needing access to "electric" on a routine basis, because the stator will not keep up....

Reactions: sharp
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I think you just drained your winch battery, and the charging current from the stator was mainly going to the dead battery and your main battery may have dropped a bit in voltage, noted by the power steering issue. Remember, that stator can generator a max of 30 amps at full rpm, where that winch can draw 300 amps easily, so it takes a lot of time to recharge those batteries. So, I'd say there is nothing wrong with your equipment, just gotta know it's limitations.

advertisement