Strategic placement of a P500 sticker 😎

4D5BEFEF 45DE 4A65 A9B1 FFE1859A046D

CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500
Just to be clear...the stock steering shaft was made the same way, bolts had to be completely removed for the shaft to slide
I found this out the hard way a couple of weeks ago. Thought I was loosing my mind. lol

Reactions: Peter_72
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
This has me thinking about the installation. I wonder if it would help to align the u-joints at the top and bottom of the power steering motor? My machine is in WV right now so I can not investigate but I will at Christmas when I get back up there. I don’t have any issues with my power steering but it does wobble some when turning the wheel.

Reactions: Peter_72 and Mudder
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Got me pondering it too, been a while since putting mine in but I distinctly remember leaving one loose and tightening it up at the end. Hmmm...

Reactions: Mudder
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
This has me thinking about the installation. I wonder if it would help to align the u-joints at the top and bottom of the power steering motor? My machine is in WV right now so I can not investigate but I will at Christmas when I get back up there. I don’t have any issues with my power steering but it does wobble some when turning the wheel.

After reading this I looked at mine and the u-joints are not lined up the same but I can’t really see how it would make a difference. I’ll give it a try tomorrow just for the heck of it.

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
This is a picture of the upper shaft, you can see the flat spot that allows it to slide.

6DBB19D8 267C 4A0F AF8F D5963402BA25

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Use 1/4" inch grade 8 bolts through the u-joints.The smaller bolts will allow just enough movement of the shaft to take the binding out.The shafts are a touch too long.

T

tg16500

Dec 2, 2019
US
Avi8or I just checked and there is still some flex while turning in both directions. I read a review a while back that talked about the lower steering shaft bind (not rubbing) and the guy put a shim under the top plate of the mount and that cured his problem. I’m going to look into it more tomorrow.
I am the guy that added the shim and mentioned it in my review. By adding an 1/8" "shim" (a scrap piece of 1 1/2" angle iron trimmed to about 3/4" on 1 side and notched to fit around the radiator support) between the crossmember and the motor bracket. Doing this raised the motor slightly which did 2 things - it gave slightly more clearance between the universal joint and the brake fluid reservoir and eliminated the binding from the motor pushing down on the shaft. I think the root cause is that the crossmember is not a precision located piece, probably +/- 2 or 3mm. This small variation is multiplied by the distance from the crossmember to the motor, so on some machines this is enough to cause issues in both of these situations. After doing this everything is tight, no movement, very smooth, and virtually silent.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Tg16500 thanks for posting, I didn’t know the details but remember reading your review and comment about adding the shim. Once I get my buggy back together I’m going to look into a little more.

advertisement
A

Avi8or

Nov 6, 2019
Mo
Ownership

1. 500
To be clear, one is silent and works perfect while driving. movement Is only visually noticeable when the hood is off. Also, The lower shaft in my kit has plenty of room between it and the brake reservoir. That must have been addressed at some Point.