P1000 Turns over but won't start(FIXED)

S

slowpoke

Dec 18, 2016
Flagstaff, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Three weeks ago I picked up my 2016 Pioneer 1000 Deluxe. Took it out and road 20 miles in the dry Arizona desert (not much dust though) for 4.5 hours. Ran great and strong. Got home, started it up and put it in the garage with no issues. Planned on going riding tomorrow so started pre ride check today. Wanted to warm up before I checked oil, etc. Turned the key to the start position, heard the whine of the fuel pump, then it turned over several times but wouldn't fire. Tried in park and neutral but still wouldn't fire. Dash lights up as usual, battery is over 80% charged, and checked all fuses in fuse box and they're all good. Any ideas of what's going on. Thanks for sharing any thoughts.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Three weeks ago I picked up my 2016 Pioneer 1000 Deluxe. Took it out and road 20 miles in the dry Arizona desert (not much dust though) for 4.5 hours. Ran great and strong. Got home, started it up and put it in the garage with no issues. Planned on going riding tomorrow so started pre ride check today. Wanted to warm up before I checked oil, etc. Turned the key to the start position, heard the whine of the fuel pump, then it turned over several times but wouldn't fire. Tried in park and neutral but still wouldn't fire. Dash lights up as usual, battery is over 80% charged, and checked all fuses in fuse box and they're all good. Any ideas of what's going on. Thanks for sharing any thoughts.
Out of gas, spark plug cap loose?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should have mentioned it has gas. Good point on spark plug cap. Any easy way to get to those?
I haven't messed with mine yet but id imagine under the seat

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The owner manual says to press throttle 1/2 way down and try to start, if that doesn't work hold throttle down at full throttle and try to start, if that doesn't work, off to the Honda shop you go. Good luck.

S

slowpoke

Dec 18, 2016
Flagstaff, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The owner manual says to press throttle 1/2 way down and try to start, if that doesn't work hold throttle down at full throttle and try to start, if that doesn't work, off to the Honda shop you go. Good luck.
Thanks for advice. Checked plug wires and they're secure. Tried half and full throttle. No luck.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm on double secret probation on this site and really can't tell you how I feel about this issue. Just kidding, but big brother is watching me. Let us know what the issue is/was. Thanks!

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Spark plugs not firing or not getting gas should be one or the other

advertisement
H

HondaTech

Sounds like lack of fuel. Have any previous mouse issues with other units?

S

slowpoke

Dec 18, 2016
Flagstaff, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sounds like lack of fuel. Have any previous mouse issues with other units?
Mouse as in rodents chewing up stuff? I haven'the. I've looked it over pretty good and haven't seen anything frayed or bitten through. It doesn't seem to crank real strong though.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put a screwdriver in the end of the plug wire and hold it close to something metal on the bike but don't touch the screwdriver with your hand and turn it over that will tell you if you have spark/fire.

Reactions: JTW
S

slowpoke

Dec 18, 2016
Flagstaff, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Put a screwdriver in the end of the plug wire and hold it close to something metal on the bike but don't touch the screwdriver with your hand and turn it over that will tell you if you have spark/fire.
Had a faulty battery. Dealer's shop manager diagnosed over phone with me. Even though it was turning over, accepted full charge, and worked all lights, it was a weak battery. He took the old one and gave me a new one free of charge.

J

Jshell3

Cool @slowpoke , so that fixed it, then? Awesome!

If so, update the Thread Title with *Fixed* that way others can check theirs for a defective battery when they search for possible cranking / won't start issues.

I'm glad it wasn't anything serious.
I know a lot of us read these threads, expecting the "worse case scenario".

Nice to see it was just a bad battery, and that Honda / Dealer took care of it for you!!!

Last edited by a moderator: