P1000 Trip to Colorado....Learned some things..... Upgrade to suspension wanted.

sjacobson48

sjacobson48

Apr 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to the Taylor Park area in Colorado last week with my sons. Fantastic time, great area, highly recommend!!
I was able to climb every mountain trail we attempted, so I was happy with that, but my son in his RZR 1000 Turbo was able to take obstacles at 3 times the speed I could simply because the suspension handled it better. On rocky trails or washboards, I simply couldn't keep up.

Don't get me wrong, I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought the 1000-5 Deluxe, and I purchased it for options that the RZR didn't provide, but after the trip to the mountains, I'd like to upgrade the suspension and close the gap just a little.

That said, I'm leaning towards ELKA-3's for the shocks based largely on research in this forum.

Here's what I need some advice on......
I'm running Maxxis Carnivore 28x10 tires all around. I also put on Mud Busters a while back and since then I've had a serious rub when the front dives into obstacles. I've been through some rough stuff and they've held up without ripping off, but still.... a rub is a rub and it's damn annoying.

So... besides adding the shock upgrade, I'm thinking it would be wise to either add a small lift (2-3 inches), or add Super ATV Forward offset A-Arms to gain clearance in the front and eliminate the rub. Looking for recommendations from y'all on one or the other.
I'm also assuming I need to make that decision before ordering the shocks as that probably changes the geometry and Elka will want to know that?
Is there anything else I'm missing? Will either change (lift or a-arms) require upgrading the axles as well?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

20210823 094533 resized 1 20210824 131503 resized 20210824 135657 resized 20210822221333 IMG 6559 resized

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice machine. Maybe your son got there first, but you had the food and beer.

I have an P1K5LE with the Fox QS3 shocks. People with experience in Pioneers and similar rigs have remarked about how great the ride is with the Fox shocks. I've also read some of the reviews of the Elkas, but don't have any experience. I'm not picking sides, but a shop tech told me that King or Fox shocks are best.
And then I couldn't find any King shocks for the Pioneer . . . . . so there's that.
Best wishes.

sjacobson48

sjacobson48

Apr 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice machine. Maybe your son got there first, but you had the food and beer.

I have an P1K5LE with the Fox QS3 shocks. People with experience in Pioneers and similar rigs have remarked about how great the ride is with the Fox shocks. I've also read some of the reviews of the Elkas, but don't have any experience. I'm not picking sides, but a shop tech told me that King or Fox shocks are best.
And then I couldn't find any King shocks for the Pioneer . . . . . so there's that.
Best wishes.
Thanks StewB. Exactly why he continued to wait for me I suspect ;)

I have been considering the Fox Shocks as well. Haven't truly decided yet. I figured mentioning either the Fox name or Elka name would at least give some perspective on the direction I was thinking.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks StewB. Exactly why he continued to wait for me I suspect ;)

I have been considering the Fox Shocks as well. Haven't truly decided yet. I figured mentioning either the Fox name or Elka name would at least give some perspective on the direction I was thinking.
Front a-arms and either set of those shocks and you will be golden.

sjacobson48

sjacobson48

Apr 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great pictures and thanks for sharing. One look at your pictures says everything. Your Pioneer looks like a loaded 5 ton and the RZR looks like a scooter. Good luck on your goal and please share your results.

s/f Steve
True ... but while it looks like a lot there, it wasn't overly heavy. The heaviest item was the 5 gallon gas can.....which is another thing I learned....... not needed unless doing serious miles. We did about 75 miles the first day up and down steep terrain, and I still had plenty left in the tank at the end of the day. Probably will be leaving that behind on most trips going forward.
However, Carrying more gear is one of the reasons I chose the Pioneer over other machines to begin with :)

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to the Taylor Park area in Colorado last week with my sons. Fantastic time, great area, highly recommend!!
I was able to climb every mountain trail we attempted, so I was happy with that, but my son in his RZR 1000 Turbo was able to take obstacles at 3 times the speed I could simply because the suspension handled it better. On rocky trails or washboards, I simply couldn't keep up.

Don't get me wrong, I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought the 1000-5 Deluxe, and I purchased it for options that the RZR didn't provide, but after the trip to the mountains, I'd like to upgrade the suspension and close the gap just a little.

That said, I'm leaning towards ELKA-3's for the shocks based largely on research in this forum.

Here's what I need some advice on......
I'm running Maxxis Carnivore 28x10 tires all around. I also put on Mud Busters a while back and since then I've had a serious rub when the front dives into obstacles. I've been through some rough stuff and they've held up without ripping off, but still.... a rub is a rub and it's damn annoying.

So... besides adding the shock upgrade, I'm thinking it would be wise to either add a small lift (2-3 inches), or add Super ATV Forward offset A-Arms to gain clearance in the front and eliminate the rub. Looking for recommendations from y'all on one or the other.
I'm also assuming I need to make that decision before ordering the shocks as that probably changes the geometry and Elka will want to know that?
Is there anything else I'm missing? Will either change (lift or a-arms) require upgrading the axles as well?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

View attachment 292319 View attachment 292320 View attachment 292321 View attachment 292322
Exact same story, exact same machine. I came home from CO and started planning/pricing mods. I decided on the full set of SATV arms, 30” tires and Fox shocks. I’ve received everything except the shocks which are on back order. If you decide to go that route look up the “Good price on Fox Shocks” thread. I’ll report back once the shocks come in and I get everything put together.

R

rickoshea

if you're going to try and hang with a turbo rzr,skip the Fox and go Elka stage 4.way more adjustability.Elka will ask you if you're running aftermarket suspension and what kind of weight you carry and will spring them accordingly with 30 settings. Fox will give you an off the shelf shock with a whopping 3 settings.i went stage 3 and love them,but in hindsight i'd have gone stage 4.i had to stay with stock arms so i can run my tracks.

advertisement

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if you're going to try and hang with a turbo rzr,skip the Fox and go Elka stage 4.way more adjustability.Elka will ask you if you're running aftermarket suspension and what kind of weight you carry and will spring them accordingly with 30 settings. Fox will give you an off the shelf shock with a whopping 3 settings.i went stage 3 and love them,but in hindsight i'd have gone stage 4.i had to stay with stock arms so i can run my tracks.
Unless you’re willing to go with a long travel kit, a Pioneer isn’t gonna hang with a turbo RZR regardless of shock brand. Once I came to this realization it made my decision to go with the cheaper and more readily available FOX that much easier. Any aftermarket shock is gonna be a huge upgrade over stock.

Last edited:
sjacobson48

sjacobson48

Apr 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone for the input. I realize it will never be a RZR and that's not my intention.... just want to close the gap a little, smooth the ride, and get rid of the rub in the front. I think everyone agrees that the stock shocks leave a lot to be desired on the rough stuff.
Decided to go with Super ATV Arms on the front, and Elka shocks.
The reason I chose Elka..... after reading MANY MANY threads in this forum, it appears that quite a few of the guys who get Fox shocks end up changing the springs down the road anyway, and that closes the gap of the total price between Fox and Elka. I like the fact that I can give Elka all my weight and set up info up front and they match the springs to that. Yes it may cost a few extra bucks, but I'd rather do it now and not have to take it back apart later.
Thanks again for all the input. This forum is fantastic!!

R

rickoshea

Unless you’re willing to go with a long travel kit, a Pioneer isn’t gonna hang with a turbo RZR regardless of shock brand. Once I came to this realization it made my decision to go with the cheaper and more readily available FOX that much easier. Any aftermarket shock is gonna be a huge upgrade over stock.
🤣 the key word was try.agreed,no way,no how will a pioneer keep up with any sport sxs no matter what you do to it.premium shocks will go a long way in helping though.i bottomed out my stock shocks every time i took it out.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pioneer 1000 @ 75 mph?
You bet. Used the same method as with MPG in your car.

I've honestly had my 2021 P1K5 up to 65 with a little Fred Flinstone leg assist.

Okay, only the 65 is true . . .

After thought: Held the steering wheel in a death grip and rocked back and forth violently.

After thought Dos: Mine's an LE, so I'm trucking an extra 80 pounds of skid plates.

Last edited:
sjacobson48

sjacobson48

Apr 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
🤣 the key word was try.agreed,no way,no how will a pioneer keep up with any sport sxs no matter what you do to it.premium shocks will go a long way in helping though.i bottomed out my stock shocks every time i took it out.
Completely agree! Thing is, I don't think either of us topped 25mph all week...... but when my son is taking rocky trails and washboards at 20, that we can only take at 10 and still get bucked like riding a bronco.... you just know there has to be some room for improvement somewhere🤣😂.
We'll see. Either way, I'll still take my Pioneer for all the reasons I picked it to begin with....the utility, the extra seating space, the bed and towing capabilities, etc.... No place to put my two Aussies in his RZR and still haul gear.
If the shocks don't help close the gap at all... well.... I'll just continue to haul all the beer so he HAS to wait for me somewhere;)

20210419 094007 resized 239779385 10157003950812465 6972593942783816034 n 240646714 10157003952812465 2398260974062761612 n

I

Ingfam

Apr 13, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same here, 65. I wonder if it were complete stock, Half full of gas, 150 pound driver and at sea level? not Honda split windshield, Honda roof, 200 pound driver with misc. gear, Utah 3000 feet elevation and higher. Just wondering.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Completely agree! Thing is, I don't think either of us topped 25mph all week...... but when my son is taking rocky trails and washboards at 20, that we can only take at 10 and still get bucked like riding a bronco.... you just know there has to be some room for improvement somewhere🤣😂.
We'll see. Either way, I'll still take my Pioneer for all the reasons I picked it to begin with....the utility, the extra seating space, the bed and towing capabilities, etc.... No place to put my two Aussies in his RZR and still haul gear.
If the shocks don't help close the gap at all... well.... I'll just continue to haul all the beer so he HAS to wait for me somewhere;)

View attachment 292914 View attachment 292915 View attachment 292916
Plus one from me. Our Labrador loves sitting on the bench seat, and I needed the utility part for a snow plow. It's the right vehicle for what I needed.

R

rickoshea

yup,i wanted a talon but needed a pioneer,so i upgraded the shocks and added some bucket seats.it plays as hard as it works.i was considering a sport sxs to add to the stable,but now i'd rather have another boat 🤣 🤣 🤣

advertisement