P1000 Tried and true cab heat fixes-2018

J

JTW

Yes.. two is better and point them towards each seat. I have a rad fan and while my wife’s ass doesn’t get all swampy... my side still gets a little warm due to how I have mine positioned.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't consider zip ties to be much of a permanent solution, so true to (my) form I made it a bit more robust.

I took an 8" fan, & bolted it to an aluminum frame. The passenger seat side is bolted to the frame, then I used a u-joint strap to attach the other end to the rod that goes across the middle.

Then, I bolted another chunk of aluminum angle at the bottom that goes forward to the heavy wire that supports the backside of the kick panel. For that spot, I used two healthy zip ties.

It seems pretty stout. With any luck, I won't have to rip the seat off in the middle of a ride because the apparatus fell down in there.

I can't tell you how well it works, as it isn't warm enough here to get any unwanted heat into the seat anyway, so time will tell.

IMG 4218
IMG 4222
IMG 4223

B

Byrdman

May 21, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually just worked on this today. Got the fans installed. Waiting on my Thermo-Tec lining to get here. Going to line floor boards, front and rear, and bottom of seats. Also need to cleanup my wiring under the hood. When the fans are on there’s a good breeze coming out the back! Paired with Thermo-Tec, hopefully that solves the cab heat issue.

View attachment 104488 View attachment 104489 View attachment 104490 View attachment 104491
How did the welding blanket work for you?

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I added the fan under the seat. I used the (Ink Bird 12v/Relay) also. To test it at the Takeover I didn't turn it on till the kids said they were hot due to the heat so at this point it will not only have to work but also cool the stuff that is already hot. Cut it on after a few min the kids said it was no longer hot. I looked at the temperature on the Ink Bird when I cut it on and it said it was 154 deg. When I looked later it said 126 deg But it was also blowing it out so the 126 deg didn't bother the kids. It didn't get but like 86 deg at the takeover but from what I seen I think its going to work great.

The setup was cheap also Ink bird is like $15 the Fan is $15 and the switch is like $15.

The diagram that came in the Ink Bird wasn't helpful so I'm posting this one I got off the website. ((You need a 12V the diagram is for 110v but it works the same))

In the third pic my finger is on the temp sensor.

I did care to show off the Ink Bird and that was about as high as I could put it to keep it from getting wet.

Thing to keep in mind the Ink Bird is the relay and rated for 10amps so don't buy a fan with more than 10amps. (mine uses 7.5amps)

57732530725  C35567B6 66A6 4092 9541 169108DB8A9F
IMG 2915
IMG 2917
IMG 2918
IMG 2919

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So I added the fan under the seat. I used the (Ink Bird 12v/Relay) also. To test it at the Takeover I didn't turn it on till the kids said they were hot due to the heat so at this point it will not only have to work but also cool the stuff that is already hot. Cut it on after a few min the kids said it was no longer hot. I looked at the temperature on the Ink Bird when I cut it on and it said it was 154 deg. When I looked later it said 126 deg But it was also blowing it out so the 126 deg didn't bother the kids. It didn't get but like 86 deg at the takeover but from what I seen I think its going to work great.

The setup was cheap also Ink bird is like $15 the Fan is $15 and the switch is like $15.

The diagram that came in the Ink Bird wasn't helpful so I'm posting this one I got off the website. ((You need a 12V the diagram is for 110v but it works the same))

I did care to show off the Ink Bird and that was about as high as I could put it to keep it from getting wet.

Thing to keep in mind the Ink Bird is the relay and rated for 10amps so don't buy a fan with more than 10amps. (mine uses 7.5amps)

View attachment 127912 View attachment 127913 View attachment 127914 View attachment 127915 View attachment 127916
That’s what I used in our last build awhile back. Put the thermo at the edge of the seat to show fairly accurate cab temp. Worked good I just went more simple this time.
F7FD3BB1 4A2A 4D04 A9B9 D58CC41521B1

Shows how quickly temp goes down with the 8” radiator fan. Was a total of about 25-27deg drop depending.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't consider zip ties to be much of a permanent solution, so true to (my) form I made it a bit more robust.

I took an 8" fan, & bolted it to an aluminum frame. The passenger seat side is bolted to the frame, then I used a u-joint strap to attach the other end to the rod that goes across the middle.

Then, I bolted another chunk of aluminum angle at the bottom that goes forward to the heavy wire that supports the backside of the kick panel. For that spot, I used two healthy zip ties.

It seems pretty stout. With any luck, I won't have to rip the seat off in the middle of a ride because the apparatus fell down in there.

I can't tell you how well it works, as it isn't warm enough here to get any unwanted heat into the seat anyway, so time will tell.

View attachment 117565 View attachment 117566 View attachment 117567
Now that’s nice. You need to build a kit and sell it on here, become a vender, quit your day job. I’ll take the first two out of production.....:cool:

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 127912 View attachment 127913 View attachment 127914 View attachment 127915 View attachment 127916

Part numbers???

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s what I used in our last build awhile back. Put the thermo at the edge of the seat to show fairly accurate cab temp. Worked good I just went more simple this time.
View attachment 127931

Shows how quickly temp goes down with the 8” radiator fan. Was a total of about 25-27deg drop depending.
Is that with just a fan?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JohnnyWinfrey

Feb 20, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thinking about going with 2 4in bilge fans ducted to vents under the seat. Pull air from inside the cab to dump on the engine during summer and reverse them to blow heat in the winter. Thinking about running them off the ink bird for on and off but im having trouble finding a dpdt switch that I like to reverse the motors.

Id like to find one that says 'heat cool' or something silly. All the 'good ones' I've found are momentary switches. Where's a good place to look?

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thinking about going with 2 4in bilge fans ducted to vents under the seat. Pull air from inside the cab to dump on the engine during summer and reverse them to blow heat in the winter. Thinking about running them off the ink bird for on and off but im having trouble finding a dpdt switch that I like to reverse the motors.

Id like to find one that says 'heat cool' or something silly. All the 'good ones' I've found are momentary switches. Where's a good place to look?

ON-OFF-ON 7 PIN DPDT Marine Boat Rocker Switch 12V 20A , 24V 10A Truck Car RV 709445531550 | eBay

Rocker Switch Label Decal Circuit Panel Sticker Car Marine Boat Truck Instrument | eBay

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you want good quality switches, you can get DPDT switches/create customized rocker covers at www.otrattw.net.
Here's the V Series switch I used
Here's the custom text rocker
For the switch, you can request specific LED colors on the lights... I can't remember the exact cost for the color change, but I think blue/green is like 1-2$ extra... at the time, there was no charge for white. During the checkout process, there's a place for comments/instructions and you'd just specify what colors you want.

J

JohnnyWinfrey

Feb 20, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you want good quality switches, you can get DPDT switches/create customized rocker covers at www.otrattw.net.
Here's the V Series switch I used
Here's the custom text rocker
For the switch, you can request specific LED colors on the lights... I can't remember the exact cost for the color change, but I think blue/green is like 1-2$ extra... at the time, there was no charge for white. During the checkout process, there's a place for comments/instructions and you'd just specify what colors you want.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

advertisement