DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
DG....Thanks.......that might have stuck....the kid engineer said that it didn't actually go into gear until you open the throttle......I didn't know what he was talking about at the time....but I will print the replies out when I take it in to the dealer...
To be clear...the sub tranny "goes into gear" when you move the lever (assuming everything is working properly), it's just that the clutch doesn't get activated with oil pressure until you open the throttle.

Reactions: Farmer and Buggyman
B

bartruff

Oct 2, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
Ownership

1. Big Red
ECU replaced $743........as an aging Luddite this krap is maddening.......I had a Big Red with the same equipment never had a problem in 10 years......the problems I have had with this one are all related to whiz bang technology......the Aerospace Engineer at Lockheed Martin Skunkworks , Kelly Johnson, articulated the KISS approach.....Keep It Simple Stupid.....stuff is going to have to be built and maintained and replaced so keep it simple and functional....

Reactions: Jerryg and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
ECU replaced $743........as an aging Luddite this krap is maddening.......I had a Big Red with the same equipment never had a problem in 10 years......the problems I have had with this one are all related to whiz bang technology......the Aerospace Engineer at Lockheed Martin Skunkworks , Kelly Johnson, articulated the KISS approach.....Keep It Simple Stupid.....stuff is going to have to be built and maintained and replaced so keep it simple and functional....
So...are you saying it's fixed?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Honda is not the company it used to be.

B

bartruff

Oct 2, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
Ownership

1. Big Red
They didn't change you $700+ for just the ECU, did they? Those are like $300...
I don't know....the charge was probably for the problem solving that took a while and involved the factory and the instalation....I told them I didn't give a damn what it cost or how long it took....I wanted it fixed.....we take that thing up to 50 miles into the backcountry to ski and snowshoe as high as 6000' in the dead of winter ....... I have it equipped with emergency/survival gear, but I want it to work !!!

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
the charge was probably for the problem solving that took a while
🤔 some of that (problem solving) AKA labor should have been written off if they were talking to the factory/Honda cuz they have no control of that. We dont charge time doing that. Just for reference purposes.

Reactions: Buggyman
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
..I told them I didn't give a damn what it cost or how long it took....I wanted it fixed.....we take that thing up to 50 miles into the backcountry to ski and snowshoe as high as 6000' in the dead of winter .......
I don't think I would ever say that to a stealership, private mechanic yes.

• Haha
Reactions: Buggyman
B

bartruff

Oct 2, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
Ownership

1. Big Red
I am not complaining about the cost but about the superfluous complexity of modern vehicles and only posted the solution of my shifting problem so that a member with a similar problem might benefit from my experience.

My Big Red had everything you needed to know about operating the vehicle posted on the dashboard and NEVER had a problem.

I have complete confidence that I am being treated honestly by the small-town dealer who I have done business with for more than 50 years and probably more than 100k.....no problem....they know me, and I know and trust them....

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't know....the charge was probably for the problem solving that took a while and involved the factory and the instalation....I told them I didn't give a damn what it cost or how long it took....I wanted it fixed.....we take that thing up to 50 miles into the backcountry to ski and snowshoe as high as 6000' in the dead of winter ....... I have it equipped with emergency/survival gear, but I want it to work !!!
Diagnostics can add up quickly.