Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys, just wanted to keep everyone posted on what's going on with my issue. So I brought it into my dealer cause it was time for the first scheduled maintenance anyway. Explained the problem and concern that I'm having with the tranny/clutch time them. They test drove it and agreed there were definitely something wrong so I left it with them to further inspect what the issue may be. Fast forward almost 2 weeks later, I stopped by today to see what has taken place since I have not heard anything. Walked in.....there was another p1000 sitting besides mine which they're telling me that another customer had the same issues. I'm told that that this is now a possible "recall" issue. They think that it's not the clutch physically slipping and that it maybe a transmission control module that controls shifting points of the tranny. Not sure if this info. was told to them by Honda powersports USA or its something they think it may be but in any case I'm out of the use of my sxs and it is now a waiting game. I guess the only positive side to this whole thing is that whatever it is....it'll be covered. Imy gonna contact Honda myself and see what they have to say, I'll keep everyone posted.
If it was mine, I'd never wait 2 weeks before checking back in with a dealer. If you don't keep in contact with them often, some dealers tend to push your stuff off to the side. Sometimes it really is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. I don't mean constantly badger, just make sure they know you're interested in getting your rig back pronto.

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
UPDATE: so after numerous phone calls to both my local dealership and Honda America, 5 weeks later.....seems like the fix is reInitializing the tranny control modular over and over that it finally fixed the problem. Although, it still seems that going from 2nd into 3rd the rpm spikes just a bit but at this point I will live with that. I'm however gonna keep my eye on it and make sure it doesnt get worst. I was also told that a couple more units has the same issue as mine at the dealership. I'm thinking this can be a widespread problem that we just don't realize if we believe the spikes in rpm between shifts are normal.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Guys, please chime in and let me know I'm not going crazy. I guess I never noticed it, but it seems lately i have to apply a good amount of throttle before she gets going. If my memory serves me right, it gets up to around 2k rpm or there about before I notice it gets going. Please tell me this is normal. Again I don't recall it doing that before. Thanks
Glad I read the whole post, when I saw the title "Tranny Slipping" I asked myself did Caitlyn Jenner fall down and why would we care?

D

dillonhart

Jun 10, 2016
shreveport, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the does the battery make a difference?
So far yes. However, that may not be anyone else's problem. I just could tell my OEM battery was not holding a charge very well and was not performing. It would start and run the machine but these machines, in my opinion, have fair amount of stress on battery.

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did you notice any high revs between shifts before swapping out the battery? Or did the new battery just made your shifting better?

So far yes. However, that may not be anyone else's problem. I just could tell my OEM battery was not holding a charge very well and was not performing. It would start and run the machine but these machines, in my opinion, have fair amount of stress on battery.

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, just wanted to keep everyone up to date on my tranny issues. Like I've mentioned, since I gotten my p1000 back the only issue is that slight spike in rpm from 2nd before shifting into 3rd. This is still noticeable either in AT. or Man. mode. but I'll live with that for now.

Couple weeks ago, I got a phone call from Honda of America. They wanted to do a follow up with my experience from start to finish when I took my unit into the dealer. I basically let them know that I was frustrated that it has taken almost 5 weeks to get my SXS back. More than anything else, I was told the issues I had was somewhat common. That said, the % of people who had the same issues compared to the number of P1000 sold is small so he tells me. I'm thinking to myself even if its 2% or less is still a problem and the fact that they can't not pin point exactly what the problem is a concern. I just wanted to let everyone know that this is in fact a wide spread problem and if the moderator of this forum doesn't mind maybe this subject can be made as a sticky or something so those who have this same issue can share thier experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZhunter
N

Nurm

Nov 15, 2016
Yooper
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I started to notice the same 'slip' or higher rev between 2nd and 3rd just as you described. Do you have an update on what has happened since September? I would like to know, in case i am on the same path.
Thanks,

Jaredgriffin29

Jaredgriffin29

Dec 27, 2017
Sandrock, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went to my dad's house and was playing in his creek .. got stuck lol.. I know i said creek. True it was a small creek at that ..anyways my old man winched me out with a old school come-along .. I gave it very little gas just enough to keep from spinning cause I didn't want to dig down any more. Finally got out . Drove to the barn and noticed that i had to rev it high before it would move .. tried changing gears and reverse . Then tried different drives . Turf. 2x4 4x4 . Still the same .. looked under to see if i broke anything like linkage.. well left to get a better look in my garage . It started slipping 2nd 3rd and 5th bad real bad .it would rev real high then slam into gear .. .. I thought oh crap .. tried it in high and low .. same .. I read on here about the clutches getting hot going very slow .. so i let it cool . Went back hr later slip. Slip slip .. put it in manual mode and went through the gears fine .. by the time i got through them saw my dad .. I said get in .i think i broke my clutch .. showed him it done good in manual. Now watch this in AT mode.. it went through the gears just fine .. I stopped and tried again and again to make it slip .. Nothing .. shifted perfect. By this time my dad i looking me like I'm a crazy .. dropped him off .. and drove around with zero problems .. so weird .. this happens to any one else ? Or got a clue what caused this?

advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Went to my dad's house and was playing in his creek .. got stuck lol.. I know i said creek. True it was a small creek at that ..anyways my old man winched me out with a old school come-along .. I gave it very little gas just enough to keep from spinning cause I didn't want to dig down any more. Finally got out . Drove to the barn and noticed that i had to rev it high before it would move .. tried changing gears and reverse . Then tried different drives . Turf. 2x4 4x4 . Still the same .. looked under to see if i broke anything like linkage.. well left to get a better look in my garage . It started slipping 2nd 3rd and 5th bad real bad .it would rev real high then slam into gear .. .. I thought oh crap .. tried it in high and low .. same .. I read on here about the clutches getting hot going very slow .. so i let it cool . Went back hr later slip. Slip slip .. put it in manual mode and went through the gears fine .. by the time i got through them saw my dad .. I said get in .i think i broke my clutch .. showed him it done good in manual. Now watch this in AT mode.. it went through the gears just fine .. I stopped and tried again and again to make it slip .. Nothing .. shifted perfect. By this time my dad i looking me like I'm a crazy .. dropped him off .. and drove around with zero problems .. so weird .. this happens to any one else ? Or got a clue what caused this?
Well...it happens to the best of us! A few of us had one tore apart and sent it in to an expert and found that excessive heat from incidents such as yours would cause the clutch material to release from its plate.

Sorry to say you will have to bring it in to your dealer. If you haven’t had the clutch cover upgrade, they will replace clutches and cover at no cost.

Next time you are stuck use you winch and save your clutches! When in doubt...Hammer Down;)

Reactions: Plumber32
Jaredgriffin29

Jaredgriffin29

Dec 27, 2017
Sandrock, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well...it happens to the best of us! A few of us had one tore apart and sent it in to an expert and found that excessive heat from incidents such as yours would cause the clutch material to release from its plate.

Sorry to say you will have to bring it in to your dealer. If you haven’t had the clutch cover upgrade, they will replace clutches and cover at no cost.

Next time you are stuck use you winch and save your clutches! When in doubt...Hammer Down;)
Well great .. lol so slow is bad is what ur saying.?

Jaredgriffin29

Jaredgriffin29

Dec 27, 2017
Sandrock, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup! High RPM’s saves clutches:cool:
Ok got it .. dont know much about trans and how the clutches work .. but i thought once it slipped it continues to slip and it just gets worst from there..in this case It went back to normal. Can u help me under stand this ? Am I just gonna be driving down a trail with no strain on the trans and POW! Broke down ?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok got it .. dont know much about trans and how the clutches work .. but i thought once it slipped it continues to slip and it just gets worst from there..in this case It went back to normal. Can u help me under stand this ? Am I just gonna be driving down a trail with no strain on the trans and POW! Broke down ?
2 clutch packs, usually only one goes bad! Some say it comes back but that is short lived. Bring it to the dealer and tell them it’s slipping and request clutch update... CD7333FD 8EE6 4132 8CA1 C77570E0EE70E008E574 97FC 4F57 B8CF 2AC3095AD07CE64E462D 10A3 49F0 8397 6730651A0A1FBEA03FEC BD68 46C8 BA49 60DD93BE1F0D9D82B741 F5D7 4045 A4EE 7D401F866C256E2E5E6F DB9C 4420 9A75 624C85348B442A350F76 5EF0 4A6C 90D7 9AEB346DC750D77173EC 48E4 4210 AB98 3C8CCECF8AA4E863D953 CEA3 4131 9A82 14831633EA01EFF7293C 7621 4696 AF51 25C005A2581B

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I know @JTW went through something similar

J

JTW

I know @JTW went through something similar
Mine slipped something awful from the time they went out until the day I was taking it in to get the clutches replaced.. that day it just stopped. I couldn’t make it slip. And I tried!!! Rode it around the neighborhood for about a week and boom. Back out. Took it in and had them replaced. No real issues sincez

Jaredgriffin29

Jaredgriffin29

Dec 27, 2017
Sandrock, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 clutch packs, usually only one goes bad! Some say it comes back but that is short lived. Bring it to the dealer and tell them it’s slipping and request clutch update... View attachment 65431View attachment 65432View attachment 65433View attachment 65434View attachment 65435View attachment 65436View attachment 65437View attachment 65438View attachment 65439View attachment 65440
Thanks for the help .. I understand what i did to burn the clutch .. I was in the "friction zone" for about 8 to 10 mins. Now I know lol. Gonna call my dealer tomorrow and get the clutch update ordered. Thanks again for the info.

Reactions: Eltobgi
advertisement